Sponsored by:

AMG GT 2 Door Only Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 07:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GTC
AMG GT 2 Door Only Question

My 2020 GTC came with the optional ($4800) Burmeister “high end” stereo. I have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed from what I heard from it’s 20 some speakers and 1,000 or more watts. At first I attributed it to the quality of MP3s I was playing through the USB outlet. So I tried downloading some music with a higher bit rate instead of 320. I recorded in a different format which yielded a rate of 1400 to 1600 bpm. The higher bit rate seem to sound a little bit better but that might’ve been me wanting it to sound better.

A few days later I was at the dealer and I was talking to the AMG mechanics and they told me two things. First of all the natural volume of the motor/exhaust kills a lot of the low frequency and some high frequency sounds that might normally be heard in a new S or E type. In addition they told me that it was likely there was very little if any sound insulation or anti-booming material in the doors or side panels.They added that the “high level” option at $4800 was probably of limited value in the 2 door.

So my question is., Have any of you had your door panels off and looked at what type of insulation or sound deadening was in or fastened to the inner skin of the doors. I know that the S classes have some of the sound deadening material on their inner door skin.

But I haven’t had my door panels off and I really am not looking forward to doing that just to check to see if there is any sound deadening. So if any of you have already gone to that trouble and had the panels off, can you advise me of what you found in the way of any insulation or sound deadening.I would appreciate it very much. Thank you

Last edited by Runs 10s; 09-14-2022 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Spellcheck
Old 09-16-2022, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Dude , it’s a sports car not a listening room.

if you’re concentrating on the sound fingers rubbing against guitar strings you’re not paying attention to the road.

who care about nuances when the engine mutes it .
The following 2 users liked this post by thecutter64:
Go Dawgs (09-22-2022), sevenhead (09-17-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yeah, I always wondered about how some people go on about sound quality in a performance car where the engine, exhaust and tire noise pretty much destroys any kind of sound quality. It's the wrong kind of car to have concert hall sound quality. The sound you wanna hear comes from the engine. The music I listen to in my car is more like background elevator music. Not something I think about in terms of quality. If I have to listen to music to stay entertained then I'm not driving enough. Sure on a long trip just cruising along it's nice to listen to music, but again the noise level from the car itself just makes it pointless to expect high fidelity sound.
The following users liked this post:
sevenhead (09-17-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 03:10 PM

AMG GTC
Originally Posted by thecutter64
Dude , it’s a sports car not a listening room.

if you’re concentrating on the sound fingers rubbing against guitar strings you’re not paying attention to the road.

who care about nuances when the engine mutes it .
No Paul, some of us don’t spend 100% of our time on the track. Maybe you don’t drive your car on the street. But I do like to listen to music when I’m driving on the street. on the track is different so please don’t be so judge mental. I run about 50 track days a year including Sebring, Daytona and 2 different items drag strips. I also drove real race cars both as an amateur and as a semi pro for 25 years before I had to give it up. You sound like more one of those ex BMW drivers that like to make noise and see how fast they can accelerate from light to light. If you have so much time on your hands to make a stupid reply like this perhaps you need to find something better to do.

With replies like this I can see why there are so few new posts on this board So please don’t tell me about driving on a track.

Last edited by Runs 10s; 09-16-2022 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:12 PM

AMG GTC
Originally Posted by superswiss
Yeah, I always wondered about how some people go on about sound quality in a performance car where the engine, exhaust and tire noise pretty much destroys any kind of sound quality. It's the wrong kind of car to have concert hall sound quality. The sound you wanna hear comes from the engine. The music I listen to in my car is more like background elevator music. Not something I think about in terms of quality. If I have to listen to music to stay entertained then I'm not driving enough. Sure on a long trip just cruising along it's nice to listen to music, but again the noise level from the car itself just makes it pointless to expect high fidelity sound.
thanks for all your helpful comments. I don’t give a **** about what you do or what you listen to so please don’t judge me by what I do. I’m sure I spend more time on the track every year than you ever have so please KMA.
Instead of wasting everybody’s time and making asinine posts like this crap squat sit in the garage and turn your motor on and listen to it for about an hour.

Last edited by Runs 10s; 09-16-2022 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
No need to get personal.
You asked for comments; doesn't mean that you have to like them but they are valid nonetheless.

The GTC is not easily compared to the S, E or even the 4door GT models because keeping the weight down on these cars was a priority. As such, there is very limited sound dampening added and you will hear everything else besides the sound system. I personally also find the upgraded Burmester to be a poor cousin of the Burmester 3D or 4D systems in those cars with limited capabilities.
I will move the thread to the correct sub-forum to see if others can chime in.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
Go Dawgs (09-22-2022), mercedesmax (09-21-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Originally Posted by Runs 10s
My 2020 GTC came with the optional ($4800) Burmeister “high end” stereo. I have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed from what I heard from it’s 20 some speakers and 1,000 or more watts. At first I attributed it to the quality of MP3s I was playing through the USB outlet. So I tried downloading some music with a higher bit rate instead of 320. I recorded in a different format which yielded a rate of 1400 to 1600 bpm. The higher bit rate seem to sound a little bit better but that might’ve been me wanting it to sound better.

A few days later I was at the dealer and I was talking to the AMG mechanics and they told me two things. First of all the natural volume of the motor/exhaust kills a lot of the low frequency and some high frequency sounds that might normally be heard in a new S or E type. In addition they told me that it was likely there was very little if any sound insulation or anti-booming material in the doors or side panels.They added that the “high level” option at $4800 was probably of limited value in the 2 door.

So my question is., Have any of you had your door panels off and looked at what type of insulation or sound deadening was in or fastened to the inner skin of the doors. I know that the S classes have some of the sound deadening material on their inner door skin.

But I haven’t had my door panels off and I really am not looking forward to doing that just to check to see if there is any sound deadening. So if any of you have already gone to that trouble and had the panels off, can you advise me of what you found in the way of any insulation or sound deadening.I would appreciate it very much. Thank you

Hi Runs 10s,

Try some of this thread from member Stenzel. He, and another member have done some serious (excellent) work on this topic and might get to one of your Qs about insulation around the speakers:

Sound Upgrade with 10" Subwoofer for GTR - MBWorld.org Forums

All the Best,

Acta
luvair (09-19-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
Hi Runs 10s,

Try some of this thread from member Stenzel. He, and another member have done some serious (excellent) work on this topic and might get to one of your Qs about insulation around the speakers:

Sound Upgrade with 10" Subwoofer for GTR - MBWorld.org Forums

All the Best,

Acta
Stenzel did just a fantastic job on the enclosure. Wish we had something better for our roadster.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
thanks for all your helpful comments. I don’t give a **** about what you do or what you listen to so please don’t judge me by what I do. I’m sure I spend more time on the track every year than you ever have so please KMA.
Instead of wasting everybody’s time and making asinine posts like this crap squat sit in the garage and turn your motor on and listen to it for about an hour.
Dude, calm down. I just posted an opinion. I'm a senior member around here, so don't go all thin skinned and get your panties in a bunch with 15 posts, because you didn't like my opinion and personally attack me. Take this BS elsewhere and get out of here.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:49 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GCV, 2019 JEEP TH-E
I don't have a GTC but in my opinion in my GTR I find the audio quality on the regular Burmester pretty good and that's even over crappy bluetooth via Spotify (All tracks have been downloaded to phone in 'High' setting.) Also when I got the car I went with my Ear next to every speaker to check it was functioning 100%, out of all the speakers I found one in the drivers footwell which was not working, it was replaced under warranty.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:38 PM

Received 444 Likes on 238 Posts
AMG GTR

Hi,

You only have a midrange speaker in the door. There is no need to apply insulation or sound deadening to the door. Doesn't hurt, but isn't necessary.
The woofer sits in a stable, closed housing in the sill. Also, no need for action.
As stage 1, simply install high-quality loudspeakers. Sounds pretty passable then.

My opinion:
@ All. Please calm down. Think of rule 1 -> keep respect.
If you want something, do it. If you don't need it, leave it. There is no reason to teach someone who thinks differently. Every fool his own cap. :-) :-)

If you also drive a sports car as a daily driver, the priorities are sometimes different. With a flap control and a good hi-fi conversion, you have both worlds. Disadvantage? none. :-) (O.K. a few extra pounds)

And a GT (even a GTR with less insulation) is definitely suitable for hi-fi.

Best regards

Stenzel
The following 3 users liked this post by Stenzel-Germany:
Acta_Non_Verba (09-16-2022), Hetzle (09-20-2022), thebishman (09-17-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
I agree with all the comments here but what I found is if you can dial in the HD FM stations on a standard Burmester , I can tell you it’s great as a default. I was surprised. In Atlanta, 88.5 HD2 and HD 3 is amazing.

Its all about the source of course but this is an easy listen.
JSwan724 (09-16-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 03:37 AM

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
2018 Mercedes-AMG GT R
I listen to music when I am parked and eating tacos. Since I haven't had the car very long, I am more interested in listening to the sounds the car makes.
Go Dawgs (09-22-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 03:54 PM

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 AMG GTC
I must agree with the majority on this thread that the best sounds you can get from the GT series cars are the engine and exhaust sounds. I found that the radio, HD or not, or any other playback music is just a distraction to the car’s sound.
However, I did some tests to try and evaluate the quality of the Burmeister High-End 3D. IMHO, the only file format supported by the system that you can notice a bit more spatial sound and deeper sound stage are FLAC 48KHz/24bit and 96KHz/24bit formats. You have to download these high-res files from a reliable provided such as Qobuz, or NativeDSD (for classical music) and of course, these should be on a SD card, rather then phone source over BT, to make sure that the 2300Kbps bit rate can be transfer reliably to the system. Taking any CD (Red-Book 44.1KHz/16Bit) format and sample it to 1100 or 2300Kbps will not improve the audio quality, it just samples it in higher rate but does nothing to the quality. And again, all the above will be gone once the engine is on 😊

As a side note, I do have a S-Class with the Burmeister High-End to compare to the GT. Even with the S-class, the quality of high-res audio is questionable while driving. You can hear more of the music, but you cannot tell where the sound in coming from like you can for in a living room where the sound stage can be very well defined.

I hope this help
Old 09-17-2022, 06:13 PM

2018 Mercedes-AMG GT R
I didn't understand a word you just said... which is fine. 🤔
Old 09-17-2022, 08:51 PM

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 AMG GTC
Originally Posted by sevenhead
I didn't understand a word you just said... which is fine. 🤔
That was a reply to Runs 10s
Old 09-18-2022, 01:01 AM

2018 Mercedes-AMG GT R
Yeah, I know. I'm not much of an audiophile. I much prefer to turn wrenches on the oily bits.
Old 09-18-2022, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by Stenzel-Germany
Hi,

You only have a midrange speaker in the door. There is no need to apply insulation or sound deadening to the door. Doesn't hurt, but isn't necessary.
The woofer sits in a stable, closed housing in the sill. Also, no need for action.
As stage 1, simply install high-quality loudspeakers. Sounds pretty passable then.

My opinion:
@ All. Please calm down. Think of rule 1 -> keep respect.
If you want something, do it. If you don't need it, leave it. There is no reason to teach someone who thinks differently. Every fool his own cap. :-) :-)

If you also drive a sports car as a daily driver, the priorities are sometimes different. With a flap control and a good hi-fi conversion, you have both worlds. Disadvantage? none. :-) (O.K. a few extra pounds)

And a GT (even a GTR with less insulation) is definitely suitable for hi-fi.

Best regards

Stenzel
huge fan of your sub enclosure! This response has my interest though! Youre suggesting big gains in replacing the speakers - any chance you have brand breakdown of the parts list required to start swapping out? A plug and play improvement like that under guided tour would be great!
Old 09-21-2022, 02:24 PM

Received 444 Likes on 238 Posts
AMG GTR
Hi Skilly,

Unfortunately, there is no plug and play for the GT. It requires some adjustments and custom builds.
Spacer rings, brackets, pulling cables, adapting to the car electronics.
Unfortunately, I took very few pictures here.

If you are interested, list the speakers I use. Speakers are made in Germany. I do not know they have dealers in the USA.

Home | ETON (eton-gmbh.com)

Amplifier (Only for Subwoofer)
Eton Mini300.2
Amplifiers | ETON (eton-gmbh.com)

Subwoofer:
Eton Move M10:
Subwoofers | ETON (eton-gmbh.com)

2 Way center speaker 2 coils (For MB c-class W205, needs other MB Plugs)
Eton MB100CNX:
Mercedes Upgrade | ETON (eton-gmbh.com)

2 Way rearfill / Surround Speaker:
Eton RSX80
Coaxial speakers | ETON (eton-gmbh.com)

Midrange doorspeaker: (Also for 1 way rearfill)
Eton RSE80
Multiple way systems | ETON (eton-gmbh.com)

Tweeter / woofer 2 way system:
Eton RSE 160:
Multiple way systems | ETON (eton-gmbh.com)

Best regards

Stenzel

Last edited by Stenzel-Germany; 09-21-2022 at 06:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stenzel-Germany:
California John (09-23-2022), lgarcia (09-22-2022)