2018 Solar Beam Yellow GTC coming around on BAT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 880 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
2018 Solar Beam Yellow GTC coming around on BAT

For anyone who might be looking, a 2018 SBY GTC is coming around on BAT.

Just a caution this is NOT an unmolested car. The seller wasn't very forthcoming in the description, maybe innocently so, but the car has a tune and catless downpipes. He only mentioned "stainless steel downpipes" and not the tune at all until the community came on. But, he did (or added) show the factory catted pipes in the gallery all the way at the end, as an accessory that comes with the sale.

The typical crowd on BAT doesn't EVER miss a thing as reflected in the comments which is worth the read. Especially from member SJMorgan who the community sees as an expert on mods and CA State law. The same MIGHT apply to CO emissions as well, but I've not been able to confirm that. I mention this because as a buyer in 2022, almost 2023, with state emissions laws changing by the minute, you have to go into a car like this eyes wide open. 12 other states have announced they follow and will implement anything CA does. CA started the ECU CVN check July 2021 and has always had statutes regarding the physical removal or alteration of any emissions component on a car.

I also mention this because if you are an owner and have intentions of doing these two mods which seem to be the first two everyone does who is modding (and, for the life of me, I'll never get the catless pipes at a gain of about 5 to 8 hp), please make sure you think and plan past just the mods. Take your planning in your mind all the way to a sale someday and do sufficient "what ifs" so you're not stuck with a car that you cannot sell w/o replacing all the factory emissions components. Smart owners do not throw the factory parts away!

12k-Mile 2018 Mercedes-AMG GT C Coupe for sale on BaT Auctions - ending October 4 (Lot #86,364) | Bring a Trailer

The following 2 users liked this post by Acta_Non_Verba:
garymac (10-03-2022), MalibuScott (10-03-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Thats the RW Carbon test mule for their carbon lip etc - you can see it on the front.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 706 Likes on 535 Posts
R Nine T
112k. Low eh?

This would be the only color I would replace my ridiculously continuous black choices in cars. But I’d love to get a convertible.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 880 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
112k. Low eh?

This would be the only color I would replace my ridiculously continuous black choices in cars. But I’d love to get a convertible.
I watched this auction to the close. I too thought the final bid wasn't all that. Hard to tell at this point if it is market cooling or the mods, or a combination of both. I've always felt that performance mods kill the price (considering both the car plus the cost of the mods) this car is a good example. The mods, essentially, were a giveaway. The close wasn't the typical crazy back/forth. A couple of final bids and it died at 112K.

Personally when I see a technical mod (not aesthetic) I'm no longer an interested buyer and I believe that's true with most buyers. Some buyers bite, but I think more do not. I've never valued someone else's idea of performance mods. When I do mods myself, no buyer would ever see those as I am meticulous about preserving factory and returning everything back to factory when I sell.

This seller, I believe, started out on a bad note. He wasn't full disclosure so the mods kinda came out in the comments from pressing members. This put a little chill on the auction. Even BAT came in at the 11th hour (literally 30 mins before auction close) with a clarification comment and I believe some of this was a legal CYA. This was a CA seller and the seller in CA (and BAT possibly as a broker) has disclosure responsibilities that can survive the sale.

Oct 4 at 2:25 PM
bringatrailer
The listing has been updated to reflect the installed aftermarket engine software, and that the removed downpipes and catalytic converters are included in the sale.

I agree with you on the color. I would go for it!

Last edited by Acta_Non_Verba; 10-04-2022 at 07:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sevenhead (10-05-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
I watched this auction to the close. I too thought the final bid wasn't all that. Hard to tell at this point if it is market cooling or the mods, or a combination of both. I've always felt that performance mods kill the price (considering both the car plus the cost of the mods) this car is a good example. The mods, essentially, were a giveaway. The close wasn't the typical crazy back/forth. A couple of final bids and it died at 112K.

Personally when I see a technical mod (not aesthetic) I'm no longer an interested buyer and I believe that's true with most buyers. Some buyers bite, but I think more do not. I've never valued someone else's idea of performance mods. When I do mods myself, no buyer would ever see those as I am meticulous about preserving factory and returning everything back to factory when I sell.

This seller, I believe, started out on a bad note. He wasn't full disclosure so the mods kinda came out in the comments from pressing members. This put a little chill on the auction. Even BAT came in at the 11th hour (literally 30 mins before auction close) with a clarification comment and I believe some of this was a legal CYA. This was a CA seller and the seller in CA (and BAT possibly as a broker) has disclosure responsibilities that can survive the sale.

Oct 4 at 2:25 PM
bringatrailerThe listing has been updated to reflect the installed aftermarket engine software, and that the removed downpipes and catalytic converters are included in the sale.

I agree with you on the color. I would go for it!
Numbers on the GT fleet drop off a cliff (right or wrong) once they crack 10K miles.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:12 PM

Received 680 Likes on 362 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
If the buyer is is California I doubt the sale will be consummated.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by MalibuScott
If the buyer is is California I doubt the sale will be consummated.
its in California - and they look like they have the downpipes etc. Might already be smogged.

I'm pretty sure that this is RWCarbon's car - I'm surprised that they aren't speaking up on this one.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:57 AM

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GT C Edition 50
Originally Posted by Skilly
its in California - and they look like they have the downpipes etc. Might already be smogged.

I'm pretty sure that this is RWCarbon's car - I'm surprised that they aren't speaking up on this one.
It was specifically asked if it was an RW Carbon rear wing and the seller didn't answer. It wasn't optimally represented by the seller who only admitted it was an aftermarket wing when repeatedly pressed. I wouldn't have touched it.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 695 Likes on 438 Posts
AMG
Eh, the RW wing is the only rear spoiler with that design, idk why it's hard for people to figure out. A specific spoiler wouldn't be enough to dissuade me from a purchase, it's not like it's difficult to swap if you absolutely had to.

Imo the buyer got a great deal on a beautiful car.

Last edited by Orcbolg; 10-05-2022 at 10:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Orcbolg:
AMG 17GT (10-05-2022), Skilly (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 12:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
BMW M4
Originally Posted by AndrewFerg
It was specifically asked if it was an RW Carbon rear wing and the seller didn't answer. It wasn't optimally represented by the seller who only admitted it was an aftermarket wing when repeatedly pressed. I wouldn't have touched it.
This is a pretty good deal considering the condition, color, etc with most GT-C going for around 120k-140k in Socal. All the stock parts included to quickly reverse the tune, downpipes, and spoiler.

It doesn't look to be RW Carbon's shop car as I follow them on IG and they have aftermarket wheels on now and their spoiler base plate is not painted... It read they are RW carbon parts though.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZakAttack20:
Orcbolg (10-05-2022), Skilly (10-05-2022)