Sponsored by:

Front Bumper upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 04:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GTS
Front Bumper upgrade

My GTS is a 2016 with the standard bumper. i just had a slight front end incident - hate myself- and need to repace the entire front bumper on insurance.
I'm wondering if i can upgrade to the newer styl tgat's a little more aggressive. i know insurance wont cover it, but i might pay the difference. but for those that have experience- a couple of questions.
1. is the newer bumper from 2017 models onwards? any part number that can help me guide the shop?
2. is it a plug and play swap, are the headlights, bonnet, etc all the same and i just need to new bumper and corresponding grill parts?
3. Any other considerations for this.

I'm in the Seattle area and every body shop seems booked out until March- what is happening with the world !!
Old 11-22-2022, 05:55 AM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
It is not plug and play.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
I recommend the Darwin pro front bumper, it is one of my favorites.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'18 AMG GTR
i had great experience with queen city
Old 11-27-2022, 04:12 AM

Received 205 Likes on 146 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic 2017 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Orcbolg
I recommend the Darwin pro front bumper, it is one of my favorites.
I have it, and it’s nice if you get a good one but the company to deal with is a nightmare. I would not recommend the latest ones from Darwin pro. Heard some bad quality issues with them. Also the company and the man I dealt with, the owner of Darwin pro is a jerk to put it nicely.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:38 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
GLS450
So I bought their grill. Not too impressed. While the CF looked well done there were no mounting tabs and no instructions. That said the person I dealt with, Jackson was very helpful and I returned it.
Old 11-28-2022, 02:38 AM

AMG GTS
Thanks all. I think I’ll stay with the original.
man’s Queen City is on my list. Have used them before and were great. They are just booked for work until March. Nuts!
Old 11-28-2022, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
It is not plug and play.
When you say that you mean it's not as simple as replacing the skin? Meaning its still doable but you would need the grill(s), support structure and mounting brackets, lips etc. Or are the hood and fenders reshaped as well. Also unclear if the gen 1 has the active aero or that becomes an issue too.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Skilly
When you say that you mean it's not as simple as replacing the skin? Meaning its still doable but you would need the grill(s), support structure and mounting brackets, lips etc. Or are the hood and fenders reshaped as well. Also unclear if the gen 1 has the active aero or that becomes an issue too.
All the attachments points are different for the OEM 2016 to 2018. Now if you go aftermarket specifically made to upgrade a 2016, then, that is a different story.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:05 PM

Received 443 Likes on 237 Posts
AMG GTR

Hi,

unfortunately, it's more than just the skin. Every attachment is needed. Also, the invisible ones.

Headlights, fenders, hood and the attachment points are the same. It's plug and play if you have all the parts for the facelift version.

Only the small MB decal would fit, but its blue. If you want the black facelift version:

Part number: A0008701801

When you buy everything new, the Panamera grill is also available in black. (2021 Stealth model)

"Active aero" did not exist before the facelift. No error messages. Just leave the center opening -> open. This is the pre-facelift cooling concept.

The arrangement of the radiators was changed during the facelift.
This gives you a gap between the "new" bumper and the "old" side coolers. You can leave it like that (in my opinion the cooling will be slightly less effective) or cover it.

There is a (too expensive) cover here:

Cover retrofit facelift bumper

Are these worth the price? No idea, decide for yourself.

A big disadvantage of this conversion is, you lose the two radiator cover grilles of the pre-facelift. Was a good thing.

Bumper part numbers can be found here:

Mercedes spare parts

Important:
You need the FIN of a facelift GT/GTS/GTC. (not GTR) You will get the correct part numbers displayed.

Best regards

Stenzel

Last edited by Stenzel-Germany; 11-28-2022 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by Stenzel-Germany
Hi,

unfortunately, it's more than just the skin. Every attachment is needed. Also, the invisible ones.

Headlights, fenders, hood and the attachment points are the same. It's plug and play if you have all the parts for the facelift version.

Only the small MB decal would fit, but its blue. If you want the black facelift version:

Part number: A0008701801

When you buy everything new, the Panamera grill is also available in black. (2021 Stealth model)

"Active aero" did not exist before the facelift. No error messages. Just leave the center opening -> open. This is the pre-facelift cooling concept.

The arrangement of the radiators was changed during the facelift.
This gives you a gap between the "new" bumper and the "old" side coolers. You can leave it like that (in my opinion the cooling will be slightly less effective) or cover it.

There is a (too expensive) cover here:

Cover retrofit facelift bumper

Are these worth the price? No idea, decide for yourself.

A big disadvantage of this conversion is, you lose the two radiator cover grilles of the pre-facelift. Was a good thing.

Bumper part numbers can be found here:

Mercedes spare parts

Important:
You need the FIN of a facelift GT/GTS/GTC. (not GTR) You will get the correct part numbers displayed.

Best regards

Stenzel
This makes sense to me...net net. It's a LOT of parts to consider, but its the collection of parts as the issue not an incompatible mounting point. Unless you found a clean complete set up, it would have a diminishing return. The rough math with the collection of parts required looked to be about $5K, then paint ($2K) and re/re (add another $1K).

Old 11-28-2022, 05:59 PM

Received 443 Likes on 237 Posts
AMG GTR
This makes sense to me...net net. It's a LOT of parts to consider, but its the collection of parts as the issue not an incompatible mounting point. Unless you found a clean complete set up, it would have a diminishing return. The rough math with the collection of parts required looked to be about $5K, then paint ($2K) and re/re (add another $1K).
Hi,

Think with new parts, near 6000 USD.

My personal opinion:
Also really like the Panamera Grill. GTR only exists that way. It absolutely wants it back then.
Meanwhile, I see the "classic" look a little differently. There are fewer pre-facelifts, and some now facelifted.
If I had a pre-facelift model today, I wouldn't change it.
Would retrofit the stock aero package (aftermarket, in real carbon) Black-out the grill and / or fit a black pre-facelift panamera grill.
These now available from aftermarket. Like it and could be converted at any time.

Pre-facelift & Panamera Grill:

The pre-facelift also has advantages. Less common. Less unpainted plastic. Better? protective grilles in front of the side coolers.

Best regards

Stenzel

Last edited by Stenzel-Germany; 11-28-2022 at 06:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stenzel-Germany:
Acta_Non_Verba (11-29-2022), UCIMBZ (11-29-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 07:43 PM

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts
E55, Z06
Originally Posted by Simbad
Thanks all. I think I’ll stay with the original.
man’s Queen City is on my list. Have used them before and were great. They are just booked for work until March. Nuts!
I might be in a position to put my 2020 GTR front bumper and fenders up for grabs shortly. Been thinking of doing the Pro front bumper and fenders for a while and the idea just keeps coming back into my head. Your thread made me think about it again!
The following users liked this post:
Skilly (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,246 Likes on 2,021 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by acr-c
I might be in a position to put my 2020 GTR front bumper and fenders up for grabs shortly. Been thinking of doing the Pro front bumper and fenders for a while and the idea just keeps coming back into my head. Your thread made me think about it again!
This might be good for a GTC but a GTS couldn’t handle the wider front end as it has the narrow rear end. Would look odd IMO.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:39 PM

AMG GTS
Hi,

Think with new parts, near 6000 USD.

My personal opinion:
Also really like the Panamera Grill. GTR only exists that way. It absolutely wants it back then.
Meanwhile, I see the "classic" look a little differently. There are fewer pre-facelifts, and some now facelifted.
Would retrofit the stock aero package (aftermarket, in real carbon) Black-out the grill and / or fit a black pre-facelift panamera grill.
These now available from aftermarket. Like it and could be converted at any time.

Pre-facelift & Panamera Grill:

The pre-facelift also has advantages. Less common. Less unpainted plastic. Better? protective grilles in front of the side coolers.

Best regards

Stenzel
hmm that might be the easiest idea of just retrofitting the grill. Great idea. Everything else and having to work through the nuances of insurance just seems like a major pain
Old 12-14-2022, 10:56 AM

I see the "classic" look a little differently. There are fewer pre-facelifts, and some now facelifted.
Totally agree.
Old 12-14-2022, 12:29 PM

Received 676 Likes on 358 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
I didn't much like the AMG GT front end when the cars came out. But in 2018 when the Panamericana grille was put on the car I bought one immediately. I wanted a roadster, but they weren't out yet.

Soon after I bought the car every Mercedes AMG model was getting the Panamericana grille. The SUVs, the trucks, the little cars.

Now I've changed. I see the pre-2018 front ends as classics of great simplicity. They go with the car.
The following users liked this post:
UCIMBZ (12-14-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by MalibuScott
I didn't much like the AMG GT front end when the cars came out. But in 2018 when the Panamericana grille was put on the car I bought one immediately. I wanted a roadster, but they weren't out yet.

Soon after I bought the car every Mercedes AMG model was getting the Panamericana grille. The SUVs, the trucks, the little cars.

Now I've changed. I see the pre-2018 front ends as classics of great simplicity. They go with the car.
They both have historical pedigree but the pre facelift was a strong connection between the SLS and GT.