Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Park Sensor Malfunction - GTR Pro

Love this car...BUT.

I have a phantom park sensor problem. It is front only and doesn't isolate itself to any one sensor. Coming to a stop, or on start up and gear selection, it will throw the sensors when nothing is there - not even close.

I have had it in the shop on 3 separate occasions. MB have replaced the sensors, re-calibrated, checked for codes, wiring issues etc. They have have counselled with AMG and overall the car has been in the shop combined for about 25 days. This isnt a recourse thread, rather, I am wondering if anyone has experienced the same, or if anyone is aware of a TSB etc. So far, no resolution - leaving the shop today again unresolved after another week of diagnosis.

The car has no negative history, and 2700 miles of use. I purchased it with 1,300 miles. I dont recall when it started but think its been there right from the beginning. Suffice to say, no event to tie it to....also, no film or PPF on the sensors.
Old 12-16-2022, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
I have the same exact issue with my 2018 GTR, phantom and random front parking sensor beeping. Annoying but not sure how to fix it..
Old 12-17-2022, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 877 Likes on 452 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Hi Guys,

Can you give some more details? What are the environmental conditions and locations when the false alarms occur?
Here are some example questions:

Are you always in traffic?
Are you always stopped at a traffic signal?
Are you always behind another vehicle?
Does it ever happen off the road, such as in your garage, or when you start up in a parking lot?
Does it happen under different weather conditions? Rain?, Snow (maybe not for Skilly, but maybe for NYCSoil)?

I'm asking for as much of a repetitive pattern that you can identify if there is one (or are ones).

I am on a number of other forums and this topic comes up every once in a while. Others with other model cars sometimes identify patterns and have it down to certain conditions in which they can clearly identify. Some get weird, but owners are convinced they can predict when the false alarms will occur because those certain conditions are present. I'm hesitant to start a list of these, but if you can report back with some details, maybe there is a common connection.

The sensors are ultrasonic. They send out a short length signal, then measure the time it takes for the wave to bounce off an object and return to the sensor. They "usually" are only on when the car is in gear (front sensors are on when in drive; rear sensors are on when in reverse), and that means the front sensors are always on while you are driving. So are other cars around you in traffic conditions.

Best,

Acta

The following users liked this post:
MBNRG (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 02:55 PM

Received 381 Likes on 244 Posts
Yeah, my GTR Pro has a parking-sensor issue with "false alarms" that show detection on the front-left sensor. For me, it happens a lot when the ambient temperature is either quite warm (say over 75 deg F) or quite cool (say less than 45 deg F). It's seems to start after driving a bit, that could just be that the garage (somewhat heated in winter, mostly in shade in summer) has moderated the starting-out temperature.

I've mostly noticed that it happens in traffic at stop lights/signs ... sometimes when there's no other vehicle in the vicinity. I've ensured that the sensor is clean, it doesn't appear to be damaged and the dealer sees nothing (and my Xentry scan finds no associated codes).

I've tried to replicate the issue in my garage by using a heat gun to gently heat the sensor until an infrared temp gun showed about 35 deg C (95 deg F), but was unable to replicate it in a standstill mode (engine off/on, in/out of gear).

It can be really annoying in traffic but, given that it's primarily a track car, I don't think it's worth tearing off the front end and all the risk that entails.

Almost sounds like it could be a software issue with the amount of work that went into Skilly's car.
Old 12-17-2022, 03:53 PM
SPONSOR

Received 818 Likes on 634 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
get your software updated by me first
Old 12-17-2022, 05:30 PM

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 AMG GT R Pro
Mine has a similar issue on one of the front right sensor, it's overly sensitive for unknown reason, whenever I stop in a traffic light, it went off just by cars moving more than 10 feet in front of me.. Dealer tried recalibration but it didnt solve the issue, I just didn't bother with it since I don't drive the car on street much..
Old 12-17-2022, 05:43 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by supertanch
Mine has a similar issue on one of the front right sensor, it's overly sensitive for unknown reason, whenever I stop in a traffic light, it went off just by cars moving more than 10 feet in front of me.. Dealer tried recalibration but it didnt solve the issue, I just didn't bother with it since I don't drive the car on street much..
just have the sensitivity set
dealers are retards

Last edited by BenzNinja; 12-17-2022 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-17-2022, 05:57 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
GT's are car made out W166, 231, 172, 222 and 212 electronics parts
so nothing special electronically
I have done a row. Everything is adjustable just like any modern MB
dealer only know how to read manuals and push preset buttons
they will never do anything deep

Old 12-17-2022, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
Hi Guys,

Can you give some more details? What are the environmental conditions and locations when the false alarms occur?
Here are some example questions:

Are you always in traffic?
Are you always stopped at a traffic signal?
Are you always behind another vehicle?
Does it ever happen off the road, such as in your garage, or when you start up in a parking lot?
Does it happen under different weather conditions? Rain?, Snow (maybe not for Skilly, but maybe for NYCSoil)?

I'm asking for as much of a repetitive pattern that you can identify if there is one (or are ones).

I am on a number of other forums and this topic comes up every once in a while. Others with other model cars sometimes identify patterns and have it down to certain conditions in which they can clearly identify. Some get weird, but owners are convinced they can predict when the false alarms will occur because those certain conditions are present. I'm hesitant to start a list of these, but if you can report back with some details, maybe there is a common connection.

The sensors are ultrasonic. They send out a short length signal, then measure the time it takes for the wave to bounce off an object and return to the sensor. They "usually" are only on when the car is in gear (front sensors are on when in drive; rear sensors are on when in reverse), and that means the front sensors are always on while you are driving. So are other cars around you in traffic conditions.

Best,

Acta
Hey Acta,

Its random but predictable it will happen.

- at start up and putting into gear; drive only - its all front sensor based.
- stop light it may (or may not go off). Again, front only and I can be the lead car with nothing in front of me; it will go off.

Benz has been back and forth with me on this. Picked it up yesterday and still not fixed. Frankly kinda dumb troubleshooting. It was in all week this time for replacement of the fins in front of the intercoolers - NOTHING to do with the sensors, but that was the recommendation from AMG. They did it and of course, nothing is better. Next time will undoubtedly be another week in the shop and I'm getting tired of it. At this point, feels like it's just pure guessing at AMG.
Old 12-18-2022, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
For me the issue is unpredictable, might happen at any moment when stationary or moving forward slowly with no obstacles around. It would just be "beep-----beep-beep" and then silent again. Had the dealer check everything and of course they couldn't find anything wrong..
Old 12-18-2022, 10:30 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GCV, 2019 JEEP TH-E
Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
For me the issue is unpredictable, might happen at any moment when stationary or moving forward slowly with no obstacles around. It would just be "beep-----beep-beep" and then silent again. Had the dealer check everything and of course they couldn't find anything wrong..
Since I did the upgrade to 5.5, my Front Sensors no longer make any audible noise, Im guessing they have to code back the sound?
Old 12-18-2022, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Originally Posted by reignz
Since I did the upgrade to 5.5, my Front Sensors no longer make any audible noise, Im guessing they have to code back the sound?
I don't think so, but you can check with them directly.
Old 12-18-2022, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey guys,

A forum vendor has jumped on this thread and out of respect, since vendors pay the bills, I'll step out of this thread for now. He might have a solution that you guys can use. Hopefully so, let's see how it goes from here.

Best,

Acta
Old 12-19-2022, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
Hey guys,

A forum vendor has jumped on this thread and out of respect, since vendors pay the bills, I'll step out of this thread for now. He might have a solution that you guys can use. Hopefully so, let's see how it goes from here.

Best,

Acta
Hey Acta - no disrespect to the sponsor, but with a car under warranty, I'm not inclined to go with unsanctioned code changes. Mercedes is frustrating in this issue, but I was hoping to see if someone had sorted it through the dealer. Out of warranty, it's a perfect option!
The following users liked this post:
Acta_Non_Verba (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
this is with your upgraded system? That's gonna make for expensive trouble shooting at the dealership.

I'll continue to post my progress - they believe that the next step for them is replacement of the lower grill with the sensors. The authorization has to come from AMG HQ though. Not sure how that being faulty would create the outer-most sensors to go off, but we will see.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Skilly
Hey Acta - no disrespect to the sponsor, but with a car under warranty, I'm not inclined to go with unsanctioned code changes. Mercedes is frustrating in this issue, but I was hoping to see if someone had sorted it through the dealer. Out of warranty, it's a perfect option!
Hi Skilly,

Yeah, you're taking the better, smarter approach. All the best with it and hope they can get it fixed for you w/o too much frustration.

Acta
Old 12-19-2022, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Originally Posted by Skilly
this is with your upgraded system? That's gonna make for expensive trouble shooting at the dealership.

I'll continue to post my progress - they believe that the next step for them is replacement of the lower grill with the sensors. The authorization has to come from AMG HQ though. Not sure how that being faulty would create the outer-most sensors to go off, but we will see.
I've had this issue before the retrofit so it is not related. I'm thinking its one of the sensors that's defective...