AMG GTS Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2023, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 AMG GTS
AMG GTS Exhaust

Hi all,

Just picked up a 2016 AMG GTS. First MB; have owned everything from a porsche GT4, Ford GT350, to corvettes, turbo imports, etc. I LOVE the MB...it has been a long time since I enjoyed a car this much. Unfortunately, on my long drive home from picking the vehicle up, I lost boost about an hour out of my hometown. No cel, car runs fine, but doesnt generate boost. I've read that two common issues are exhaust valve flap, and purge line/valves. In case it is an exhaust flap, I will probably pick up an aftermarket exhaust. However, I'd like to run one without a muffler but I've only found the RYFT exhaust and one made by Eurobahndynamics (https://eurobahndynamics.com/product...&_pos=18&_ss=c).

I'm curious if anyone has had experience with the later, OR if they have another recommendation. If I have to splurge for the RYFT no biggie, but at half the price I thought I would ask about the Eurobahn.

Attached some quick pics I took of her. Car already has Renntech downpipes, tune and diverter valve spacers.

The following users liked this post:
BrandonSS (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 03:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 GLC63s - 2016 AMG GTS
Congrats on the new ride!

I've got Brondex catless downpipes with a Capristo exhaust on my 16 GTS, its loud and I love it, haha!

Mercedes AMG GT/S/C - Valved Exhaust with Mid-Pipes (incl. Cat Delete/OEM Cat Adapters) (CES3) - Set1/2 - Capristo Exhaust
The following users liked this post:
NcTong01 (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 05:24 PM

2016 AMG GTS
Ahhh awesome, I hadn't come across this one! To be honest I feel like the GTS is very quite stock compared to what I've owned before. Obviously a sporty tone but as far as volume, I'm accustomed to more. I think having one that's straight through but valved would be enjoyable to me; I DO like the ability to close the exhaust on a long drive. Thanks again!
Old 05-22-2023, 05:27 PM

2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by konvctd
Congrats on the new ride!

I've got Brondex catless downpipes with a Capristo exhaust on my 16 GTS, its loud and I love it, haha!

Mercedes AMG GT/S/C - Valved Exhaust with Mid-Pipes (incl. Cat Delete/OEM Cat Adapters) (CES3) - Set1/2 - Capristo Exhaust
Forgot to quote in my last response. One question--how's the sounds with the valves closed? Is it not too overwhelming?
Old 05-23-2023, 02:12 PM

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Schwinn
Originally Posted by NcTong01
Forgot to quote in my last response. One question--how's the sounds with the valves closed? Is it not too overwhelming?
I too was going for a bit more growl from my GTS, did the DP's and kept stock exhaust. For me its the perfect sound with valves open. With valves closed with normal driving its as quiet as it need be.
I dont think aftermarket muffler will make it that much louder to warrant the prices I seen on some. But you be the judge, search around on you tube, lots of guys did what you are looking for, even as far as one guy went DP's and straight pipes with no valves no muffler. For me that was obnoxious for a car like the GTS but to each its own. I will see if I can find the clip, saw it awhile ago.

The following 2 users liked this post by BBS63:
NcTong01 (05-25-2023), Walmart Parking (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GTS
Originally Posted by BBS63
I too was going for a bit more growl from my GTS, did the DP's and kept stock exhaust. For me its the perfect sound with valves open. With valves closed with normal driving its as quiet as it need be.
I dont think aftermarket muffler will make it that much louder to warrant the prices I seen on some. But you be the judge, search around on you tube, lots of guys did what you are looking for, even as far as one guy went DP's and straight pipes with no valves no muffler. For me that was obnoxious for a car like the GTS but to each its own. I will see if I can find the clip, saw it awhile ago.
Would love to see the clip if you can find it.

I'm also debating if I should get an exhaust. If downpipes is as loud as downpipes + exhaust, then it would be pointless to get an exhaust for me.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:03 PM

2016 AMG GTS

Yep, this is what I like about the current setup w/ Renntech downpipes. I had a 6 hour drive home and it felt more comfortable than any other sport car I've driven for a long duration...no exhaust droning for 6 hours had a hand in that, lol. I agree though, most of the exhaust systems with mufflers don't change the volume exponentially. That's why Im considering going to a straight through system...the sound dampening seems pretty solid in the GTS and along with a catted downpipe, I'm wondering if it would still be pretty mild inside.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:07 PM

2016 AMG GTS
I'm curious if anyone knows if a resistor is needed to trick the actuator system if a non valved system is ran?
Old 05-26-2023, 12:54 PM

Schwinn
I'm curious if anyone knows if a resistor is needed to trick the actuator system if a non valved system is ran?
Yes, they will be needed to be tricked into telling the ECM they are working. I do not know of anyone that has done it as I had a problem with my actuator and was happy about opening the flaps in the muffler for always to open and remove actuators but was told here that that would not work as eventually the ECM would put the car in limp home mode. I was luckily able to convince my dealer to get the muffler system replaced under warranty as that part wasnt covered with the extended CPO warranty I had. Yes according to Benz, they will not replace just the actuators they replace the whole exhaust system from the resonators back. Crazy Benz.
I am looking for the clip from the guy that had straight pipes but havent found it yet, he was from Germany which is a shocker as I dont know how he would of passed TUV inspection as they are real strict with anything being done to Cat's or anything with exhaust modifications from what I heard.

PS. I wouldnt advise it as it would look like a Subaru or VW thing to do, but realistically you could tuck the actuators and have them connected and let the ECM run its test and it shouldnt trigger the CEL, BUT, i dont know if it measures resistance when it opens/closes the flaps as then it would still trigger ( hate that word btw) the CEL as a fault due to not enough resistance.

Last edited by BBS63; 05-26-2023 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2023, 01:02 PM

Schwinn
Originally Posted by Walmart Parking
Would love to see the clip if you can find it.

I'm also debating if I should get an exhaust. If downpipes is as loud as downpipes + exhaust, then it would be pointless to get an exhaust for me.
From what I have learned thru this forum by guys that went that route in the early days of these cars, pretty much all of them said the was pretty much zero difference with aftermarket ones, installing the DP's and removing the resonators (some call them secondary cats which they are not) makes all the sound these engines will make with the stock muffler, as with the bypass valves in the muffler it basically turns it into a straight thru muffler.
Someone actually posted a cut out of the AMG muffler and its pretty obvious.
I wouldnt waste money on muffler, DP's is all you need. Plenty of other goodies to spend $5k on
Old 05-26-2023, 03:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,512 Likes on 2,136 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Hi all,

Just picked up a 2016 AMG GTS. First MB; have owned everything from a porsche GT4, Ford GT350, to corvettes, turbo imports, etc. I LOVE the MB...it has been a long time since I enjoyed a car this much. Unfortunately, on my long drive home from picking the vehicle up, I lost boost about an hour out of my hometown. No cel, car runs fine, but doesnt generate boost. I've read that two common issues are exhaust valve flap, and purge line/valves. In case it is an exhaust flap, I will probably pick up an aftermarket exhaust. However, I'd like to run one without a muffler but I've only found the RYFT exhaust and one made by Eurobahndynamics (https://eurobahndynamics.com/product...&_pos=18&_ss=c).

I'm curious if anyone has had experience with the later, OR if they have another recommendation. If I have to splurge for the RYFT no biggie, but at half the price I thought I would ask about the Eurobahn.

Attached some quick pics I took of her. Car already has Renntech downpipes, tune and diverter valve spacers.

Congrats looks very nice, I always liked the diamond pin grille over the panamericana grille that was introduced in model year 2018 I think, anyways, enjoy in good health!
Old 05-26-2023, 05:37 PM

2016 AMG GTS
Yes, they will be needed to be tricked into telling the ECM they are working. I do not know of anyone that has done it as I had a problem with my actuator and was happy about opening the flaps in the muffler for always to open and remove actuators but was told here that that would not work as eventually the ECM would put the car in limp home mode. I was luckily able to convince my dealer to get the muffler system replaced under warranty as that part wasnt covered with the extended CPO warranty I had. Yes according to Benz, they will not replace just the actuators they replace the whole exhaust system from the resonators back. Crazy Benz.
I am looking for the clip from the guy that had straight pipes but havent found it yet, he was from Germany which is a shocker as I dont know how he would of passed TUV inspection as they are real strict with anything being done to Cat's or anything with exhaust modifications from what I heard.

PS. I wouldnt advise it as it would look like a Subaru or VW thing to do, but realistically you could tuck the actuators and have them connected and let the ECM run its test and it shouldnt trigger the CEL, BUT, i dont know if it measures resistance when it opens/closes the flaps as then it would still trigger ( hate that word btw) the CEL as a fault due to not enough resistance.

Gotcha. This is my issue as well. CEL's showed purge valve issue and actuator malfunction. I'm HOPING the actuator just stuck a bit initially as the car sat for a while. If not I'll need to replace the exhaust as well. There has to be a company that makes something to trick the ECU.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:38 PM

2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Congrats looks very nice, I always liked the diamond pin grille over the panamericana grille that was introduced in model year 2018 I think, anyways, enjoy in good health!
Thank you! I actually was looking at picking up the vertical style black series grille, but I actually think I like this one the most out of all 3!
Old 05-26-2023, 06:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,512 Likes on 2,136 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Thank you! I actually was looking at picking up the vertical style black series grille, but I actually think I like this one the most out of all 3!
Yup and I fully understand it is a personal preference type of thing. That said though, that panamericana grille was on one of the 300 SL, so that grille might had paid tribute to that. I personally prefer diamond pin though.

You mentioned 3, what was the last one that we didn't mention yet that you were debating on?
Old 05-27-2023, 05:31 AM

Received 443 Likes on 237 Posts
AMG GTR
From what I have learned thru this forum by guys that went that route in the early days of these cars, pretty much all of them said the was pretty much zero difference with aftermarket ones, installing the DP's and removing the resonators (some call them secondary cats which they are not) makes all the sound these engines will make with the stock muffler, as with the bypass valves in the muffler it basically turns it into a straight thru muffler.
Someone actually posted a cut out of the AMG muffler and its pretty obvious.
I wouldnt waste money on muffler, DP's is all you need. Plenty of other goodies to spend $5k on
Hi BBS63,

You hit the point.

But your resonator statement is not correct. They are definitely secondary metal cats.
Certainly in the pre-2018 EG (without OPF) version. As far as I know, the US version is identical.

Best Regards

Stenzel