Intro thread!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 10:08 AM

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts
2019 AMG GTC Solar Beam Yellow
Intro thread!

Hi All,

Closing a deal on a 2019 SBY coupe with <1800 miles. First Mercedes. I'm coming from a 991.1 TTS that's still in the family. Also have had a couple C7's (last was a manual Z06), so I love that some call this car the German Vette 🤣
Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say "hi." I've been reading through the entire coupe/roadster forum and am on page 40 or so. Amazing the things you can learn from forums. I also found old discussions about future values and upcoming models interesting, now that several years have passed.

I usually mod all my cars to some extent and it will be true for this one as well, though I may go at it a bit slower and enjoy the process. KW HAS and PPF/Tint are first on the list. Spacers for stock wheels until I get another set.

The car is basically brand new. One owner, serviced every year (even did a brake flush at 2 yrs!). Had a PPI done at a Mercedes dealership just for another set of eyes since I'm buying it sight unseen. Options below. It's missing the Distronic Plus but it's not going to be a daily and we don't really have traffic, so I'm good with that. I'd be more disappointed not having the High End Burm and I love that it has CCB'S. Anyway, I'm pretty active on forums so you'll be seeing me pop in quite a bit 😁

2019 GTC Coupe

AMG Carbon Ceramic Braking System

AMG Carbon Fiber Engine Cover

AMG Carbon Fiber Door Sill Cover

AMG Carbon Fiber Trim - Matte

AMG Performance Full DINAMICA Steering Wheel

AMG Interior Night Package

AMG Exterior Night Styling

Extreme-Performance Sport Tires

MBConnect

Concierge Service

Crossbar - Carbon Fiber - Gloss

Black DINAMICA Headliner

19"/20" AMG Cross-Spoke Forged Wheel - Black

Exclusive Interior Trim

Burmester® High-End Surround Sound System

Heated Front Seats

Last edited by GTConn; 07-29-2023 at 11:23 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by GTConn:
California John (07-27-2023), Carbon Dated (07-27-2023), ChargedMB (07-28-2023), Highline-Autos.com (08-01-2023), MalibuScott (07-27-2023), MBNRG (07-28-2023), reignz (07-27-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-27-2023, 11:01 AM

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Schwinn
Welcome and Congrats on your purchase of a beautiful machine. All the right options and very nice color. Don't worry too much about the sound system. Mine doesn't have the high end system and TBH, I hardly play music in the car, unless one of my kids is with me, then they have to Aux. LOL
The sound these cars make is all the music you will love. Downpipe that beast and you will smile even more.
I had a Porsche GT2 awhile back as that was my dream car to get, Have to be honest, for my purposes the AMG GT would be my choice any day. I love Porsche's to this day, the GT2 was a fierce car and for its time a monster if you knew how to drive it properly. I also had a 997 TT for a short while, no one can force air to an an engine like Porsche and they are timeless no doubt. But.... the AMG GT-S has stolen my heart and mind.
Anyway, good luck and enjoy her every day that you can.
The following users liked this post:
GTConn (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by BBS63
Welcome and Congrats on your purchase of a beautiful machine. All the right options and very nice color. Don't worry too much about the sound system. Mine doesn't have the high end system and TBH, I hardly play music in the car, unless one of my kids is with me, then they have to Aux. LOL
The sound these cars make is all the music you will love. Downpipe that beast and you will smile even more.
I had a Porsche GT2 awhile back as that was my dream car to get, Have to be honest, for my purposes the AMG GT would be my choice any day. I love Porsche's to this day, the GT2 was a fierce car and for its time a monster if you knew how to drive it properly. I also had a 997 TT for a short while, no one can force air to an an engine like Porsche and they are timeless no doubt. But.... the AMG GT-S has stolen my heart and mind.
Anyway, good luck and enjoy her every day that you can.
Hey thanks! I had to go back and reread my post and I can see that I may have been a bit confusing. The car DOES have the high end burm, I was just saying I'd rather have that than the distronic plus that it does NOT have since we don't have traffic here, etc.

I do love Porsches for sure...I had a 991.1 GTS with the aerokit that I stupidly sold to get into a Lotus Emira, which has turned into an absolute s@$% show for Lotus. Pulled my deposit back in May after 2 years of waiting...

I was torn between a 718 Spyder, Gen2 NSX or the GTC. Obviously you can see which direction I went. Did a ton of research on all but ultimately, this car checked the boxes first. I would have gone one of any of the 3 directions depending on the car. All great in their own ways.

I plan to do a cat delete instead of the downpipe and probably the EVM as well 😈. Glad to hear how much you love your GTS even after owning those great Pcars!
BBS63 (07-28-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
GTConn: welcome. Good people and good information here.

Glad to have you.
GTConn (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by thebishman
GTConn: welcome. Good people and good information here.

Glad to have you.
Thanks! Yes lots of great info. Not as active as other forums, but there's definitely good stuff buried in older threads.
Old 07-28-2023, 12:48 PM

Received 88 Likes on 59 Posts
2017 c63s drop top
Welcome aboard!
Old 07-28-2023, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by boosted20v
Welcome aboard!
Thanks much! Excited to be here!
Old 07-28-2023, 06:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
2020 AMG GTC
CONGRATS and welcome to the family Does it really have 1,800 miles or 18,000? If 1.800 you sure they didn't roll back Odometer? lol. Do you mind mentioning what you paid? Just curious how they are selling these days. I also looked a bit at the 718 Spyder. But once I saw the ridiculous way you take the top up and down I was like NOPE. I just got MAGNETO detailed yesterday

Old 07-28-2023, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by c400ry
CONGRATS and welcome to the family Does it really have 1,800 miles or 18,000? If 1.800 you sure they didn't roll back Odometer? lol. Do you mind mentioning what you paid? Just curious how they are selling these days. I also looked a bit at the 718 Spyder. But once I saw the ridiculous way you take the top up and down I was like NOPE. I just got MAGNETO detailed yesterday

Gorgeous car! I sure love those matte paint colors but as a hobbist detailer, I have to be able to correct the paint, etc. 🤣Part of my OCD too. But man are they beautiful and so fitting for the GT cars!

As to the mileage, yes, the car had 1729 miles as the sales guy was taking it over to the Merc Dealer for the PPI last Friday. I figure it has about 1745 or so now.
Carfax shows the car arrived at the dealer on 12/3018 and didn't sell until June 2020. At that point it had 51 miles. A year later, 850 miles and an A service done.
A year later, 1335 miles and a B service done. Another year (2023), 1708 miles and it's due for a service as soon as I get her home.

The underside of the car is absolutely pristine, like it has even been driven. Cause...it basically hasn't! But I'm thankful the services were done by the PO.
As to the price, the dealer wouldn't budge from the $116,3xx asking and since there are only 2 other 2019 coupes for sale and none with this mileage, I went ahead and paid.

I wouldn't say they are selling super fast, honestly. But things have slowed in general. I feel like I got an OK deal considering it was an msrp around $183k and is basically brand new, with manufacturer's warranty until Jan 2024.

I bet that's more than you even wanted to know,huh?
Old 07-28-2023, 08:50 PM

2020 AMG GTC
Originally Posted by GTConn
Gorgeous car! I sure love those matte paint colors but as a hobbist detailer, I have to be able to correct the paint, etc. 🤣Part of my OCD too. But man are they beautiful and so fitting for the GT cars!

As to the mileage, yes, the car had 1729 miles as the sales guy was taking it over to the Merc Dealer for the PPI last Friday. I figure it has about 1745 or so now.
Carfax shows the car arrived at the dealer on 12/3018 and didn't sell until June 2020. At that point it had 51 miles. A year later, 850 miles and an A service done.
A year later, 1335 miles and a B service done. Another year (2023), 1708 miles and it's due for a service as soon as I get her home.

The underside of the car is absolutely pristine, like it has even been driven. Cause...it basically hasn't! But I'm thankful the services were done by the PO.
As to the price, the dealer wouldn't budge from the $116,3xx asking and since there are only 2 other 2019 coupes for sale and none with this mileage, I went ahead and paid.

I wouldn't say they are selling super fast, honestly. But things have slowed in general. I feel like I got an OK deal considering it was an msrp around $183k and is basically brand new, with manufacturer's warranty until Jan 2024.

I bet that's more than you even wanted to know,huh?
Actually I want more information What model is your ride? A GTS? What you mean about matte paint and "correct the paint"? My first matte so still trying to figure out how to manage it. Ya those pre-owned warranties are nice. You usually get unlimited mileage. Although most people don't drive these cars much. Crazy how some people pay almost 200k and only drive 1800 miles in 4 years. Seems like car abuse to me Horses need to run ya know I tried to get some off my GTC but they wouldn't budge. Most used and new cars these days they don't seem to negotiate. Which is fine to me. I actually like how its more straight forward. I had mine shipped to my house from Cali. I wouldn't do that again though. Was a bit complicated.
Old 07-29-2023, 01:06 AM

@c400ry The car is a GTC. And I agree, these cars should be driven. They don't like to sit. The car has the original warranty on it until January and right before it expires, I'll add a Fidelity warranty just for peace of mind.

As to the matte paint, I have zero experience with it, however, I do know that you can't really polish out swirls and scratches like gloss paint as there is no clear coat over the paint. It will actually make shiny spots. It is way less forgiving than gloss paint. Although I'm also not sure it will show swirls marks like a clear coat either, so that could be a plus.
I actually just watched a YouTube video by Larry Kosilla of Ammo NYC not too long ago where he discussed how to care for matte paint. This guy knows his stuff and details insanely high end cars. Could be of interest to you. 😊

Old 07-29-2023, 07:16 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
2022 G63, 2023 GLA 45S
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your GTC. I also had P cars in the past (3 911s and one Boxster S). They are great cars. The GT is a class of its own. I also have a GTC (roadster). My most useful additions have been a front end lift and for my 2019 the addition of wireless Android Auto.

Thanks for the video on matte paint...I just got my first matte car, a Magneto Grey GLA 45S+ and so far what I've noticed after adding matte ppf and ceramic is that it hides dirt better than any other color I've had. I need to look at the black plastic claddings and windows to see how dirty it actually is.
Old 07-29-2023, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by sjp3003
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your GTC. I also had P cars in the past (3 911s and one Boxster S). They are great cars. The GT is a class of its own. I also have a GTC (roadster). My most useful additions have been a front end lift and for my 2019 the addition of wireless Android Auto.

Thanks for the video on matte paint...I just got my first matte car, a Magneto Grey GLA 45S+ and so far what I've noticed after adding matte ppf and ceramic is that it hides dirt better than any other color I've had. I need to look at the black plastic claddings and windows to see how dirty it actually is.
Appreciate the welcome! There is just something about a Porsche, isn't there? Even just the smell inside the cabin and the engine after a drive is wonderful. It was a tough decision not to go Porsche again, but I love big V8's too and cars with character and I feel like the GT cars have that in spades. And we just aren't going to be able to experience them much longer, sadly.

Smart move on the PPF. It's really the only 100% way to protect your paint. I have mixed emotions on ceramic coatings, but on a matte paint it would be helpful. I'd love to see pics of your GLA. Admittedly I know VEEEEERY little about Mercedes. All of the numbers and letter confuse the heck out of me! But I thought the same about Pcars when I first got into them and now I can spot generational differences cars quite easily 🤣
Old 07-29-2023, 04:11 PM

Received 236 Likes on 158 Posts
The car has the original warranty on it until January and right before it expires, I'll add a Fidelity warranty just for peace of mind.
You will most likely get a better price if you purchase now, as the extended warranties are priced based on model year (age) and mileage

Last edited by MBNRG; 07-29-2023 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-29-2023, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by MBNRG
You will most likely get a better price if you purchase now, as the extended warranties are priced based on model year (age) and mileage
From my understanding, as long as the warranty isn't expired you would get a better rate. I have about 6 more months until it expires. It won't matter if there's 3 days left, it's still under warranty.
But also when I got a quote from my warranty rep, he never mentioned a thing about a better price if still under warranty. Seems mileage may be the bigger factor.

Just as a data point, I was quoted $2987 for a 60 mo/60k mile Fidelity with $250 deductible.

And I'll tell you...what FINALLY once and for all wrote AM off my wish list was the fact that Fidelity won't even cover them.
Old 07-30-2023, 08:53 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
2022 G63, 2023 GLA 45S

A few GLA 45S pics...fun practical commuter that deals well with potholes and prevalent speed bumps and melds into the sea of Kias and Hyundais we have here, generating very little attention.
GTConn (07-30-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by sjp3003

A few GLA 45S pics...fun practical commuter that deals well with potholes and prevalent speed bumps and melds into the sea of Kias and Hyundais we have here, generating very little attention.
Very nice!
Old 08-01-2023, 03:03 PM

2020 AMG GTC
Appreciate the welcome! There is just something about a Porsche, isn't there? Even just the smell inside the cabin and the engine after a drive is wonderful. It was a tough decision not to go Porsche again, but I love big V8's too and cars with character and I feel like the GT cars have that in spades. And we just aren't going to be able to experience them much longer, sadly.

Smart move on the PPF. It's really the only 100% way to protect your paint. I have mixed emotions on ceramic coatings, but on a matte paint it would be helpful. I'd love to see pics of your GLA. Admittedly I know VEEEEERY little about Mercedes. All of the numbers and letter confuse the heck out of me! But I thought the same about Pcars when I first got into them and now I can spot generational differences cars quite easily 🤣
I almost bought a 2021 red Porsche 911 GTS instead of my GTC. One thing I haven't liked about a lot of Porsche's is the tech and finishings in the cabin. They seem more plastic and cheap. My last car was a 2021 Lexus LC500 and other than the tech the finishings are very nice. Although it had some items I didn't like. I did like the backseat option on both cars. Nice for extra luggage and stuff. At the end of the day you go with what you like. You can always sell or trade it and try something else. I usually keep my cars 2-4 years max.
Old 08-01-2023, 03:08 PM

2020 AMG GTC
From my understanding, as long as the warranty isn't expired you would get a better rate. I have about 6 more months until it expires. It won't matter if there's 3 days left, it's still under warranty.
But also when I got a quote from my warranty rep, he never mentioned a thing about a better price if still under warranty. Seems mileage may be the bigger factor.

Just as a data point, I was quoted $2987 for a 60 mo/60k mile Fidelity with $250 deductible.

And I'll tell you...what FINALLY once and for all wrote AM off my wish list was the fact that Fidelity won't even cover them.
I am not a warranty "expert" but I would be VERY careful about purchasing one. So many of them are kind of a scam. They don't cover items that are more typical to break Every Benz I had under factory warranty was bumper to bumper and they never made me spend anything out of pocket. From what I understand the CPO warranty is pretty much the same as factory and even better in some ways. Other than that I don't think I would buy one. If I did I would go through every line of that bad boy and make sure what is covered or not. Because in my 10 years of MB's its usually a sensor, molding, wiper mottor, etc that goes out out. Never an engine, tranny, etc for which they would cover (possibly). Then some warranties only cover cost up to a certain dollar. Like my pool warranty only covered 1500 or a 3500 heat pump replacement.
Old 08-01-2023, 04:09 PM

I almost bought a 2021 red Porsche 911 GTS instead of my GTC. One thing I haven't liked about a lot of Porsche's is the tech and finishings in the cabin. They seem more plastic and cheap. My last car was a 2021 Lexus LC500 and other than the tech the finishings are very nice. Although it had some items I didn't like. I did like the backseat option on both cars. Nice for extra luggage and stuff. At the end of the day you go with what you like. You can always sell or trade it and try something else. I usually keep my cars 2-4 years max.
A lot of people prefer the 991 gen to the 992 gen just because the 992's went so digital. I've only had 991's and the tech is lacking but I've always thought the fit and finish was top notch. But...both of mine had the full leather, which I think makes a difference.

I tried SO HARD to love the LC500. It's so good in so many ways, but in the end I just felt like the lack of torque/power and size, made it a car I'd get bored with in less than a year. Gorgeous cars though and that interior and exhaust note is unbeatable.

I've been cycling thru cars very quickly lately, so I'm trying to find one that will keep me entertained for at least 2 years as we always mod them and it's getting to the point where it's not quite as much fun seeing the dollars go into these cars and then down the drain.
Old 08-01-2023, 04:14 PM

I am not a warranty "expert" but I would be VERY careful about purchasing one. So many of them are kind of a scam. They don't cover items that are more typical to break Every Benz I had under factory warranty was bumper to bumper and they never made me spend anything out of pocket. From what I understand the CPO warranty is pretty much the same as factory and even better in some ways. Other than that I don't think I would buy one. If I did I would go through every line of that bad boy and make sure what is covered or not. Because in my 10 years of MB's it’s usually a sensor, molding, wiper mottor, etc that goes out out. Never an engine, tranny, etc for which they would cover (possibly). Then some warranties only cover cost up to a certain dollar. Like my pool warranty only covered 1500 or a 3500 heat pump replacement.
I hear you and appreciate your input. Fidelity does seem to be one of the better ones out there. They are an exclusionary warranty so it's very straight forward and easy to see what is covered and what isn't. Honestly, at $600/yr for 5* years, cancelable at any time, the risk is very low. It's also transferable.

Just like any insurance we pay for, it's "just in case s$!#" happens. And insurance sometimes doesn't cover everything either. Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

*corrected from 6 years as that was my mistake

Last edited by GTConn; 08-02-2023 at 11:35 PM.
Highline-Autos.com (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 04:24 PM
SPONSOR

Received 241 Likes on 186 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by MBNRG
Generally yes, but GTConn and I have been going back and forth over Fidelity's Extended Warranty coverage specifically, and as long as the vehicle is 12 years or newer, the only contributing factor to price is the milage on the vehicle at the start of coverage.

Exactly, we have had AMG GT customers have their transmissions replaced under Fidelity coverage, mostly smaller items though that can add up in labor at the dealership.
Old 08-01-2023, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
Generally yes, but GTConn and I have been going back and forth over Fidelity's Extended Warranty coverage specifically, and as long as the vehicle is 12 years or newer, the only contributing factor to price is the milage on the vehicle at the start of coverage.

Exactly, we have had AMG GT customers have their transmissions replaced under Fidelity coverage, mostly smaller items though that can add up in labor at the dealership.
Hey thanks for chiming in with some clarification and extra info! 😊
Highline-Autos.com (08-01-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 11:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 AMG GTR
How'd you get quoted that 600 yearly figure? That seems extremely cheap. I paid 5k for two additional years of the Mercedes warranty (no regrets), but it runs out next year, so either I go aftermarket or sell the car, and I really don't want to sell the car...
Old 08-02-2023, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rhinoceroscity
How'd you get quoted that 600 yearly figure? That seems extremely cheap. I paid 5k for two additional years of the Mercedes warranty (no regrets), but it runs out next year, so either I go aftermarket or sell the car, and I really don't want to sell the car...
I got the quote from Trent at Highline. As I stated previously, I was quoted $2987 for 60mo with a $250 deductible.
Works out to be just under $600/yr. I believe the low mileage on my car has really helped with the cost.
And just as an FYI, if I remember right, Trent always warns of price increases every January with Fidelity. If you send your info, he can give you a quote.

tgibson@highline-autos.com

Last edited by GTConn; 08-02-2023 at 11:34 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intro thread!