Anyone seen this before on the seats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2023, 10:23 AM

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts
2019 AMG GTC Solar Beam Yellow
Anyone seen this before on the seats?

Hi all,

So I got a different angle of the driver seat this morning. Car is being picked up today for the long journey across the US.

Anyway, it appears the previous owner wasn't particularly careful about ingress/egress as there's quite a few wrinkles on the bolster already at 1750 miles. But, that worries me less than the trim appearing to be popped out away from the seat. Am I imagining this being a bit much? Is this just the way the seat is normally? I kinda don't think so based in pics of other cars...
Has anyone experienced this before? Does it just pop back in?

Old 08-04-2023, 06:15 PM

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts
Fast and Really Fast Sports Cars
That trim IIRC is pop-able. I was working on something around that area before. The leather wise...yea the bottom bolster is rather high. Some owners may put their butt on the top of the bolster before in/egressing. The other bolster to watch out for is the side bolster, esp the left side for driver's side.
Old 08-04-2023, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by LAsunset
That trim IIRC is pop-able. I was working on something around that area before. The leather wise...yea the bottom bolster is rather high. Some owners may put their butt on the top of the bolster before in/egressing. The other bolster to watch out for is the side bolster, esp the left side for driver's side.
Appreciate your reply! I've found the replacement part (which is very inexpensive) if one of the clips is actually broken and it needs to be replaced. Hopefully it'll just clip back in and won't be an issue going forward.

As to the bolsters, based on pics, the driver side seat bolster is the worst. Passenger side has a bit of creasing but not super bad. I'm also guessing there was never any conditioner used on the seats either. She'll be getting a deep cleaning, conditioning and paint correction when she gets home in preparation for PPF.

The seats will always be wrinkled, but I can do my best to improve what's there and keep it from getting worse. Just is surprising for such low mileage. Not everyone is as OCD as I am 🤣

The following users liked this post:
sjp3003 (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 09:23 AM

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
2018 Mercedes-AMG GT R
I don't have any personal experience of your issue but I would wait for the car to arrive so you can assess the trim piece. Hopefully it will snap back in place so you won't have to deal with the seat adjustment switches which are in that trim piece.

The seat bolster is the bane of my existence. I call it the nutcrusher. I am disabled and so when I transfer out of my electric wheelchair I can't help but sit/slide on/over the bolster. Getting out I have to perch on the bolster. It is not any worse for wear but I have only driven the car ~ 1500 miles. I think the leather looks a little better than yours but conditioning will help. I use Lexol.

Have fun; these cars are a gas!

​​​​​​
Old 08-05-2023, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by sevenhead
I don't have any personal experience of your issue but I would wait for the car to arrive so you can assess the trim piece. Hopefully it will snap back in place so you won't have to deal with the seat adjustment switches which are in that trim piece.

The seat bolster is the bane of my existence. I call it the nutcrusher. I am disabled and so when I transfer out of my electric wheelchair I can't help but sit/slide on/over the bolster. Getting out I have to perch on the bolster. It is not any worse for wear but I have only driven the car ~ 1500 miles. I think the leather looks a little better than yours but conditioning will help. I use Lexol.

Have fun; these cars are a gas!

​​​​​​
Oh I'm definitely waiting until the car arrives before I do anything. I'm hopeful it'll just snap back into place, but the good news is it looks like a simple fix if a clip (or worse) does happen to be broken.

When I test drove a roadster over a month ago, I didn't remember the bolsters being that aggressive but I may have just been in awe with how gorgeous the car was. The worst I can ever recall were the bucket seats from a Porsche GT4. Good lord those were awful! But I'm short, so I'll have to be careful. Sounds like you're doing a great job with it!

I've actually ordered some Leatherique to see if I can really get some of those wrinkles softened up. Never used the stuff before but I've constantly heard rave reviews and seen some pretty amazing before and after pics. I'll update here with some 😊
Old 08-05-2023, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GT C coupe

My seat at 20k miles. That wear is pretty normal i think. I know you can get leather/alcantara w/ yellow stitching replacement from MB parts.
Old 08-05-2023, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by russAMG

My seat at 20k miles. That wear is pretty normal i think. I know you can get leather/alcantara w/ yellow stitching replacement from MB parts.
Thanks for the picture! My greater concern was the "track cover" that appears to be bulging out from the side away from the seat.

The bolster wear is unfortunate (again at 1750 miles), but I realize it can happen quickly when someone just slides in and out against the seat instead of up and over. I can make it look better and then maintain from there.

What's interesting is that usually I see shoe marks and scratches on the door sill, etc but that is perfectly pristine! They sacrificed the leather for the sill, me thinks 😁

Just excited to get it home! The sales guy took a video of it loaded onto the trailer. Omg SBY is unreal!

Last edited by GTConn; 08-05-2023 at 01:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GTConn:
MalibuScott (08-08-2023), russAMG (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GT C coupe
Very nice, love the solar beam yellow with CCB! Congratulations!!
Old 08-06-2023, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by russAMG
Very nice, love the solar beam yellow with CCB! Congratulations!!
Thank you! Super excited! I've only seen 4 AMG GT'S ever in my life and never a Solarbeam yellow!
Old 08-08-2023, 11:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GTS, Mercedes 6.9, 190SL
I'd guess the key to not having door seal scrapes would be soft soled shoes.
Old 08-09-2023, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Eyeman89
Hmm...could be. Unfortunately we'll probably never know, although I'd love to have a chance to talk to the previous owner, if ever there was a chance.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:38 AM

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
2018 Mercedes-AMG GT R
Originally Posted by Eyeman89
And a clean garage floor. I live in a very dusty/sandy area and I have to sweep or fire up the air compressor to prevent dirt from coming with me.
Old 08-09-2023, 10:03 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2020 AMG GTC
Originally Posted by GTConn
Thanks for the picture! My greater concern was the "track cover" that appears to be bulging out from the side away from the seat.

The bolster wear is unfortunate (again at 1750 miles), but I realize it can happen quickly when someone just slides in and out against the seat instead of up and over. I can make it look better and then maintain from there.

What's interesting is that usually I see shoe marks and scratches on the door sill, etc but that is perfectly pristine! They sacrificed the leather for the sill, me thinks 😁

Just excited to get it home! The sales guy took a video of it loaded onto the trailer. Omg SBY is unreal!

Looks like my same transport service
Old 08-09-2023, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by c400ry
Looks like my same transport service
You can tell all that from a ramp? Impressive! 😁
I'm honestly not sure who it is. I booked it thru GAS Motorsports.
The following users liked this post:
c400ry (08-09-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 08:25 PM

Just to follow-up...the seat trim was an easy fix. It just clicked back in..not sure why it had popped out in the first place, but it's all good now. Also the leather doesn't look as bad as the pics made it appear. Clearly needs some conditioning, which I'm working on now.