Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

britelite

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 e 320
britelite

Has anyone used the britelite product to restore the plastic headlight lenses and was it any good ?

Thanks,
Old 05-13-2005, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
i didnt know the popular kids toy from the 80's could also be used to restore headlights, im amazed, lol

http://www.sfpg.com/animation/liteBrite.html#
Old 05-13-2005, 07:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by horse
Has anyone used the britelite product to restore the plastic headlight lenses and was it any good ?

Thanks,

Who makes this product? (It may be specific to Australia)
Old 05-13-2005, 07:49 PM

96 e 320
My mistake it is autobritelite http://www.autobritelites.com/
Old 05-14-2005, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
you do not need fancy products. there is a simple diy. go to a local store and get yourself some 600 ,1200, and 1500 grit sand paper. 2000 if you want to do it really well. get a bucket of water with your soap of choice. you will need to wet sand what you are going to clean. i can't not emphazsize enough the need for it to be wet! spray on water constantly to keep it wet. do not use circular motions, better yet, horizantal then vertical motions. start with the 600 then the 1200 then the 1500 and if you choose, the 2000. after than ( if you wish ) get the 3m rubbing compound. the lite version... i forgot the exact name, but you could tell, the one that isn't that rough, for this part you will probably want a buffer of some sort. apply it and let it haze to a dry. then buff it off. once thats all done by some mothers plastic polisher or something similar from the company of your choice. this is which will make it the most clear. after this, repeat to what is most likely the other headlight. then stand back and admire your results. if you have any more questions , ill be glad to answer them for you. don't forget to post before and after pictures so others can see what this can do
Old 05-14-2005, 01:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
The lens has a silicone-based coating applied to its outer surface, some manufacturers apply two different types of coatings to the outer surface of the lens, these coatings are mainly for UVR protection, but are also for impact and abrasion resistance, once the coating (s) fail or are removed the lens surface will occlude (clouding or yellowing)

On the basis of least aggressive method first-
Use a solvent type cleaner (Klasse All-In-One) if this does not remove the oxidation use a plastic polish
Meguiar’s PlastX contains a microscopic diminishing abrasive, which requires a little pressure when applying it to enable these abrasives to remove the discoloured plastic and expose new plastic. Or Renovo Plastic Cleaner
If these methods fail then try the wet-sanding, again using the least aggressive paper first
JonM
Old 05-14-2005, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
true. using meguiars advice. use the least aggressive approach to get the job done. sorry i don't know how bad your plastic is. pics would be helpful
Old 05-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
Originally Posted by BklynBenz
i didnt know the popular kids toy from the 80's could also be used to restore headlights, im amazed, lol
That was the first thing that came to my mind as well. Those toys were hella cool in their day, but I am afraid they would just be laughed at now.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
imagine modding one big on or one in the sun visor. instead of your reflection of your head, you can draw a head !!
Old 05-15-2005, 09:32 AM

96 e 320
Thanks for the advice, i have tried the meguires plastic polishes but my lenses are too far gone they actually look and feel like a layer is lifting,i will go with the wet and dry paper method,if i manage to get them OK again what is the best product to keep the plastic that way?
Thanks again
Old 05-16-2005, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
no dry sanding.. all wet. i emphasize the wetness. just use Mothers plastic polish once every two washes or whenever you feel it needs it. just don't go years without cleaning and good luck on your project. please take before and after pictures for future people to see what happened