Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Egg on Paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK32
Egg on Paint

Any thoughts on dealing with egg on paint? The local vandals were up to their usual tricks up and down the block last night. I wish they'd get a life.

The good news is that the car had just been detailed yesterday so it had a good coat of wax as protection. In addition, we noticed the attack about midnight and were able to wash the vehicle before the sun came up and baked the egg on.

The bad news is that the finish is crazed at one point of impact. I tried Meguiar's ScratchX followed by Finish Restore followed by Gold Class Wax and it did help some. A friend suggested that when an egg impacts on its end, it is harder to deal with. Unfortunately, the paint is a dark color. Many thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
First off, give it a nice wash, dry it, of course, the clay bar the excess contaminants off your paint by clay.

If you are not familiar with the process of claying, here's a tip link: https://mbworld.org/forums/detailing-automotive-care/14901-how-removing-embedded-contaminents-grittyness-clay.html
Old 08-19-2005, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
yea , make sure you start on a clean surface when polishing. definately clay and wash. do you have any pictures? that would help a great deal. the thing about eggs, is that the damage is not mainly caused by the egg itself but by the impact caused from the brisk throw. if the paint is chipped then it cant be fixed, sorry to tell you ( without a new paint job. ) hopefully it isn't that bad.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Egg Stains on Paintwork:
As well as the impact damage, egg contains amino acids as well as proteins and they will actually eat through the clear coat layer, and eventually the basecoat if not neutralized / removed within 1-2 hours. Saturate the area with Isopropyl Alcohol and keep it ‘wet’ for 4-5 minutes, no not agitate the surface. Flush with clean water and dry thoroughly. Inspect surface for cracking, discolouration or other damage with a 30X lighted magnifying loupe, use a chemical cleaner to remove any discolouration, and then apply a paint protection product. If the clear coat shows signs of failure (cracking) take vehicle to a professional paint / body shop.
JonM
Old 08-21-2005, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 C350 4MATIC
Talking Wow

Now I know egg-zactly how the finish got messed up on my '76 Mustang II back in 1981.

Cool Info.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
yea, last night i went out and i saw some kids egging some house out on a main street. cops right behind them... those idiots. if anybody ever eggs my car, and i find out, their paint on their car won't be showing anymore because of all the eggs that will be on their paint.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eggs and paint

I have had the same experience. Black car and an egg. I did not notice it until the next day. The car had to be wet sanded and buffed since it had already eaten thru the clear coat.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
A friend asked me to take a look at his 450 SL as there was a ‘problem’ with the paint If you think vandals and an egg can do damage to paint wait until you see what brake fluid can do…