Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Tire Dressing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BLACK 05 C230SS
Tire Dressing?

What type of tire dressing do you guys use? I've tried Meguires, No-Touch and can't find something that won't splatter all over my black paint after drying. I'm just trying to get rid of the white looking tires after I wash it.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
I believe there are wax pastes for tires. I'm not sure what brand it's under, though. I use Black Magic's tire spray.

When sprayed on and after it dries, wipe off the excess overspray with an old rag. That should do the job.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
The best tire dressings

I have experimented for years w/ many products and here is what I use now:

For the wet look, and some spatter, I use a product by Eimann Fabrik called Black Opal, gloss dressing. If you put it on, or wipe it off, w/ a cloth it doesn't spatter as much as when you just spray it on.

For a beautiful sheen and no splatter I use 303, an aerospace protectant. It lasts a lot longer than the dressing products and does a lot more than make you tires look good. It actually protects them and keeps them in good condition for as long as you have them. They advertise it as "SPF 40 SUNSCREEN For Your Stuff." Other really nice things about it is that it also protects your wheels! Dressings need to be wiped off of the wheels immediately, but 303 keeps them looking good and reduces brake dust adhesion, etc.

Good luck.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
to prevent splatter , you should apply the dressing to a cloth and then apply it to the tire. once it has been applied, 24 hours is usually a good waiting time for it to set in. if you still don't trust it, get a clean microfiber and lightly go over the tire. not too hard or you will remove some of the product.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:26 AM

Airbus
Everyone has their favorites.
Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel works great imho, The key is to apply sparingly, let dry for a bit then wipe/buff off the excess with a lint free MF or cotton towel. No spatter. I ran out of the Gel and switched to their NXT tire shine that has a great wet look if that is what you like. I have noticed a bit of splatter with it compared to the Gel. Just picked up some more Gel at Pep Boys today and switching back.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
I've been told that ordinary silicone spray works great and protects the rubber well... I tried it on my last car, and it looked great.. but then I read someplace that it's actually harmful to the rubber... I wonder if anyone here knows what the truth is? Cause it sure looked good, and didn't have that over done wet look that some dressings have that splatter all over the car paint!
Old 10-03-2005, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
the whole silicone myth being bad for paint/trim/chrome/metal/whatever of the car is what it is. a myth. one big lie.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LnkPrkSoldier
the whole silicone myth being bad for paint/trim/chrome/metal/whatever of the car is what it is. a myth. one big lie.
I've read this too, but why would anyone make it up? Even the makers of silicone spray tell me that they "don't recommend it for tires, since it wasn't tested" heck it's rubber and silicone, what is there to test?
Old 10-03-2005, 10:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Tyre Dressings:
a)Water based dressings- (usually a milky-white liquid) does not contain silicone oils, petroleum distillates, waxes, or solvents that can harm rubber and / or vinyl over time. Most water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils and polymers to offer a non-greasy, satin finish. Most of these products also contain UV blocking agents to help keep tires from cracking, fading and hardening. Most, if not all water-based dressings are biodegradable (Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™) whereas Silicone is not.

b) Silicone-based dressings- (usually a clear greasy liquid) that contain petroleum distillates as a cleaning agent. The difference is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon solvent to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing's active ingredients (Silicone oil) behind; this type of silicone is also not biodegradable. (Eagle One® Tire Shine Spray & Gel)
JonM
Old 10-03-2005, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Tyre Dressings:
a)Water based dressings- (usually a milky-white liquid) does not contain silicone oils, petroleum distillates, waxes, or solvents that can harm rubber and / or vinyl over time. Most water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils and polymers to offer a non-greasy, satin finish. Most of these products also contain UV blocking agents to help keep tires from cracking, fading and hardening. Most, if not all water-based dressings are biodegradable (Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™) whereas Silicone is not.

b) Silicone-based dressings- (usually a clear greasy liquid) that contain petroleum distillates as a cleaning agent. The difference is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon solvent to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing's active ingredients (Silicone oil) behind; this type of silicone is also not biodegradable. (Eagle One® Tire Shine Spray & Gel)
JonM
Thanks for the input..

See this contradicts what I'm told by others, that silicone spray (I don't know if the spray is the same as the greasy liquid described up there is the same) is good for rubber. It's all very confusing..

Anyway, it does look good after being sprayed on the tire.. but it's just odd that nobody can site a proper study as to it's long term effects.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
More than you want to know...

For more information on tire & wheel care, please see the article at this URL:

http://www.howtocleananything.com/hc...autowheels.htm

Regarding silicone here is what is says:

"Liquid Silicone Dressings – These penetrating-type silicones form a flexible protective shield on rubber. Liquid silicone seals small openings with a film to prevent penetration of moisture and dirt. Most silicone dressings leave a never-dry gloss film. There are many myths regarding silicone, specifically the negative long-term effects of silicone on rubber and vinyl. The fact is, silicone is an inert material. The benefit of silicone is its ability to easily penetrate the tire’s surface and not evaporate. Some silicone-based dressings contain petroleum distillates as a cleaning agent. Petroleum distillates are harmful to rubber and vinyl, and will cause rubber and vinyl to crack. If you decide to use a silicone tire dressing, make sure it does not contain a cleaner. The only true negative property of silicone is the difficulty of adding UV protection."
Old 10-03-2005, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
I have been using Stoner's Tire Shine for about 6 years. It does not splatter and is fairly durable. It will not give you the wet and shiny look; it is more of a black satin.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Originally Posted by lkirchner
I have been using Stoner's Tire Shine for about 6 years. It does not splatter and is fairly durable. It will not give you the wet and shiny look; it is more of a black satin.
I can't seem to find a store that has some in stock. Care to shed some light on this, please? Thanks.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Check out this site...

http://www.autogeek.net/stontirshin.html
Old 10-04-2005, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by MBE55AMG
I can't seem to find a store that has some in stock. Care to shed some light on this, please? Thanks.
I order it direct from Stoner's and buy it by the case. I don't recall what the cost was but it is substantially cheaper. The website is www.moreshine.com.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:48 PM

BLACK 05 C230SS
Thanks everyone for your input. I think the bottom line is that you can use whatever product but you have to wipe it off to have the least amount of material on the tire. Never thought about wiping it off but will try it now. I just hate the little spots I get on my black paint after a ride out.