Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Removing old star and letters from trunk lid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C230
Removing old star and letters from trunk lid

I have a '98 C230 and have purchased replacements stars and letters. It looks like the star and letters on the trunk lid are are glued on.... Has anyone removed these successfully and has any tips to share??
Old 03-01-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White
I have seen dental floss used, waxed of course.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by BENZITCH
+1 - hit it with a hair dryer 1st to heat the glue up.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can take some floss or fishing line and gently slide it behind the letters/#s. If you're having trouble getting the fishing line to take them off smoothly try heating up the glue with a blow dryer. After you're done I'd recommend wiping down the area with some rubbing alcohol (50/50 mix of water and Isopropyl Alcohol). This will help remove the old glue/residue and ensure a clean surface to apply the new letters. If you really want the surface perfectly prepped I'd also recommend polishing the surface. If you polish the surface you'll help buff out any sun fade, oxidation or other discoloration between the faded clear coat and the preserved clear coat behind the letters/#s. Just make sure the polish has some cutting power like the Menzerna Final Polish II, SSR 1.0, 3M Fine Cut, Scratch X, etc.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BENZITCH
You are right on with the floss, it'll definitely work well. Just don't wax the area after if you're applying new letters. If you're just removing some you should wax or seal the paint after.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-02-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C230
This is great info... I can see the old letters/numbers coming off like butter! One nagging question though.... if I get the old letter/numbers/star off the trunk lid and clean it up so well it looks like new, how will I know where to put the new letters/numbers/star so they are in the right spot?? I would hate to end up with the new shiny bits crooked and misaligned!!
Old 03-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Banned

Good question. This would be my idea, but this is coming just off the top of my head. Someone with an art/design background may have a more exacting method. First off take a few pictures of the current placement. Make sure the camera is relatively level and that some pictures have the taillight and top of the trunk for reference points. You can also do some quick measurements to see where the letters should go, spacing between them etc. After removing the letters/#s I'd use a ruler or a piece of string/tape to create a flat edge to help make sure you apply them straight. Hope this helps and it comes out great!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-02-2007, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by Greg@DI
Good question. This would be my idea, but this is coming just off the top of my head. Someone with an art/design background may have a more exacting method. First off take a few pictures of the current placement. Make sure the camera is relatively level and that some pictures have the taillight and top of the trunk for reference points. You can also do some quick measurements to see where the letters should go, spacing between them etc. After removing the letters/#s I'd use a ruler or a piece of string/tape to create a flat edge to help make sure you apply them straight. Hope this helps and it comes out great!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Or a Laser Level. Good ideas Greg.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by C43AMG
Or a Laser Level. Good ideas Greg.
Laser Level.... Brilliant! That would be another very logical choice too and probably more accurate.

Greg @ Detailed Image