Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Cleaning/conditioning MB-Tex

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Cleaning/conditioning MB-Tex

I have an '87 300E with the standard MB-Tex interior in Palomino (or similar color). All the previous cars I've owned have had leather trim, and I've been successful using Lexol leather cleaner ("washing" the seats) and conditioner. However, I'm not sure this would work for MB-Tex as it's a synthetic material.

I have used Lexol Vinylex to good effect on the plastic and the vinyl door panels. Would it be good to use that on the MB-Tex seats too, or can you suggest something better?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Lexol line should be fine on your seats. I prefer Leatherique Prestine Clean and Rejuvenator Oil but both work. I would not recommend applying the Vinylex on your seats though. It's a thicker formula that could potentially clog your seats pores and prevent cleaning and conditioning products from working their best. The 303 Aerospace Protectant is a little lighter formula in my opinion that will work well too. Again both work, just personal preference.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-23-2007, 04:54 AM
Almost a Member!

1987 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Thanks for the suggestions. I already have the Lexol leather cleaner. Are you saying I should use that to clean the seats, and then use leather conditioner, rather than the Vinylex obviously? In other words I would treat the stuff just like it's leather.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry if my previous input was not clear. I would continue to use the Lexol cleaner and conditioner on the seats. I would not recommend putting the Vinylex on your seats. It's too thick of a formula IMO that can clog your leather's pores and prevent conditioners from being readily absorbed in the future. If you really want to apply it on the leather, apply it as light as you can. If you want to apply a protectant to your leather I prefer something lighter like the 303 Aerospace Protectant. You can use the Vinylex on the interior's other vinyl pieces.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Originally Posted by WDBEA30D
I have an '87 300E with the standard MB-Tex interior in Palomino (or similar color). All the previous cars I've owned have had leather trim, and I've been successful using Lexol leather cleaner ("washing" the seats) and conditioner. However, I'm not sure this would work for MB-Tex as it's a synthetic material.

I have used Lexol Vinylex to good effect on the plastic and the vinyl door panels. Would it be good to use that on the MB-Tex seats too, or can you suggest something better?
Since MB-Tex is a vinyl, using the Lexol leather cleaner on MB-Tex doesn't do too much as it does for leather pH balancing. Just use the Vinylex as a conditioner and for light buffing to take care of any dirt or smudges.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'87 560SL Sold, '99 SL500 For Keeps
On my MBTex Palomino seats in the '87, I use Meguiars Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner M3916 ....................16 oz. (473 ml) around $9. The first time I used it right after buying the car, I could not believe how much 'stuff' was embedded in seats. Very strong stuff. I follow this up with 303 protectant as discussed earlier.

After the 1st cleaning, I cut the Meguiars 50/50 with water for ongoing care. My opinion is this stuff straight from the bottle is too strong to use regularly after the initial cleaning.

Bob
Old 06-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Almost a Member!

1987 Mercedes-Benz 300E
OK, thanks all. I will look into that Meguiars cleaner and the 303 protectant. I'm sure Pep Boys has that stuff--I know they have Lexol products.

Right now I just have the aforementioned Lexol products (leather cleaner/conditioner), which won't do me any good with this car, and a container of Lexol Vinylex quick wipes, which work great on the dash, door panels, etc. But you all don't think it'd be a good idea to use it on the MB-Tex, right?
Old 06-24-2007, 03:12 PM

[QUOTE=WDBEA30D;2288573]OK, thanks all. I will look into that Meguiars cleaner and the 303 protectant. I'm sure Pep Boys has that stuff--I know they have Lexol products.QUOTE]

PepBoys doesn't carry either. For 303, order online from Greg or go to West Marine locally, or the 303 website and look up a retailer. For the Meguiars, I've never seen it at any of the McParts guys...only online at Meguiars website or at local to you autopaint supply houses, eg, DuPont and PPG. The PPG website also has a retail locater. Good Hunting!

Bob
Old 06-24-2007, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 E300 TD
I go around town a lot, there are seveal places to locate Meguiars products

Examples:
- Walmart
- Kregan
- Kmart
Old 06-24-2007, 07:57 PM

lxl_Jeffro_lxl is correct in that Meguiars Consumer products are widely available at the stores he mentions. They also have a so-called Detailer's Line, Professional Series, etc., that the mainstream autoparts or big box stores don't usually carry. This has been my experience with this specific vinyl cleaner...I've not seen it anywhere other than the autopaint supply shops/stores or on-line.

Here's the link to the specific cleaner I'm referring to. If this stuff is now in broader sales channels, they haven't reached Florida yet!

http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-vinyl-r...-Vinyl-Cleaner

Bob