Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Has anyone tried Pittman's Original One Step head light cleaner?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 CLK320
Has anyone tried Pittman's Original One Step head light cleaner?

http://www.ibc34.com/Onestep.html

$33 (4oz) that is good for 50 headlights

If anyone has found that it did not work, I will not purchase the item.

It seems like it works, there's a bunch of ebay, and website reviews. Also, there are a few youtube demos.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Originally Posted by sfclk
http://www.ibc34.com/Onestep.html

$33 (4oz) that is good for 50 headlights

If anyone has found that it did not work, I will not purchase the item.

It seems like it works, there's a bunch of ebay, and website reviews. Also, there are a few youtube demos.

You can bank on that. Meguiar plastx can't hold a candle to this stuff. The oxidation is gone for good!
I just tried some and its works just like it's advertised. I was shocked how fast the oxidation disappeared. My lens was actually squeaky clean.
it's worth every penny.
It will do 50 or more headlights I'm sure, because all I used was two drops to clean two headlights. The level in the vial never moved!.
They also sell a product for the removal of paint oxidation.
I heard about it in a forum discussion about Pittman ALR
http://mazdaforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17513
Old 04-15-2010, 04:11 PM

1993 Toyota PU
Exclamation Does Pittman's clean cloudy headlights

OK, here's the skinny on this Pittman's Original One Step....

Everyone wants to know, does Pittman's One Step headlight restorer, restore cloudy headlights? Short answer is yes. However, for my 1993 Toyota pickup, you are going to need more than one drop of this stuff! To clean my cloudy headlights with Pittmans One Step, I had to use approximately 7 drops of the stuff, per headlight! I used a paper thin paper towel and applied the material in a shaded area. As expensive as this Pittman's headlight restorer is, you don't want it evaporating! Again, in my case, it did clear the cloudy headlight lens, but be prepared to use around 7 drops and treat the drops as if they are liquid gold!
Now, I also noticed several swirl marks in the plastic lens, after my application of the material, it's a red liquid, but in all fairness, I am not sure if the swirl marks were there before the application. As to how long this cleaning will last, I am not sure. Will try an keep you posted.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:32 PM

toyota
Don't buy this product. It is worthless. I tried it on more than a dozen cars and the results were absolutely nothing. It only cleaned the dirt off my headlights as water
can do the same. This product is BS.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:09 PM

none
Originally Posted by bryam
Don't buy this product. It is worthless. I tried it on more than a dozen cars and the results were absolutely nothing. It only cleaned the dirt off my headlights as water
can do the same. This product is BS.
So everyone else is lieing?
That's like saying you fell in the water but you didn't get wet.
You want someone to believe that?
I know better!
Anyone that used Pittman ALR will tell you the same thing.
It works, it removes oxidation.
It is not going to repair any damage on the lens.
What you are saying in your very first post is incredible: You used it on more than a dozen cars? only as effective as water?
You joined this forum to tell us that?
What ever your agenda is, prefacing it with a lie is counterproductive.
Good luck with your sandpaper headlight kit cleaning business.

Last edited by sidwynder; 04-17-2010 at 04:33 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:23 AM

Rolls Silver Shadow
Can someone explain to us please, the accusation by some posters on the internet, that Pittman's ALR is nothing more than brake fluid or hydraulic fluid, especially due to its red color. This has me quite curious. Thanks for any info on this.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:16 PM

none
Originally Posted by stinky
Can someone explain to us please, the accusation by some posters on the internet, that Pittman's ALR is nothing more than brake fluid or hydraulic fluid, especially due to its red color. This has me quite curious. Thanks for any info on this.
I'm quite curious too, as to why some people lie and say they drive a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, when they are probably driving something thats 10 years old with bad headlights.
How many times are you going to join this forum just to lie? and always on your first post.
So now you're a service person who cleans headlights drives a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow? What else do you want us to believe?
Old 04-20-2010, 04:31 PM

german car v6
classic way is the best , wetsand the lens, buff/polish ,protect ,done.
u get nice crystal lens, a good breakfast before u start and a good workout.
so u will be healthy and save money!
Cosmin
Old 06-13-2010, 07:05 AM

none
Originally Posted by Cosmin
classic way is the best , wetsand the lens, buff/polish ,protect ,done.
u get nice crystal lens, a good breakfast before u start and a good workout.
so u will be healthy and save money!
Cosmin
Thanks, I think most of us already know about the "classic way". Some people say it's the best way, The experts say, using abrasive sandpaper cleaning kits should be your last resort.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:48 PM

2003 PT Crusier
I bought a vial of this stuff to use on my '03 PT Cruiser. It took maybe half of the oxidization off. I can't really say I would recommend it either. Maybe if one started out with a new car and used it as as PM every so often, yeah, but as for me, two thumbs down. Was eagerly awaiting its arrival too, thinking it was really going to do a bang up job. In my case, that did not happen. And I really gave it some elbow grease, too.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:53 PM

2003 PT Crusier
Originally Posted by sidwynder
So everyone else is lieing?
That's like saying you fell in the water but you didn't get wet.
You want someone to believe that?
I know better!
Anyone that used Pittman ALR will tell you the same thing.
It works, it removes oxidation.
It is not going to repair any damage on the lens.
What you are saying in your very first post is incredible: You used it on more than a dozen cars? only as effective as water?
You joined this forum to tell us that?
What ever your agenda is, prefacing it with a lie is counterproductive.
Good luck with your sandpaper headlight kit cleaning business.
So, why are you giving bryman such a hard time? If he says it didn't work for him, why can't you accept that it didn't work? It did not work very well for me either, and I had high hopes for the stuff. Do you have some kind of 'dog in this fight' or something? Like maybe you own stock in the company?

Last edited by CallMeASkeptic; 02-24-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: too many maybes in one sentence.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:59 PM

No It DOES NOT WORK

I do headlight restorations as a side biz, have been for the last 2 years. Always in search of something to make restorations easier. Pittmans ALR is NOT it!!! I purchased some and tried it on over 28 headlights with different degrees of damage from very very light oxidation to very cloudy. Pittmans didnt work at all on any headlight. Not 1 out of 28 headlights were clear. Pittmans always left lense with no clarity, even after using I attempted to polish but still no clarity. It was a waste of time, money and energy. And the kicker is that PITTAMNS does NOT offer refunds. That pretty much tells you how they feel about their own product right there, that they wont stand behind their own product. Please dont waste your money like I did. Total Ripoff in my opinion...
Old 04-11-2011, 07:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
To remove oxidation (UV-B radiation is what causes this) and pitting of the surface requires an abrasive, be it wet-sanding or compounding polish.

The other requirement after the surface is ‘clear’ is to replace the UV protection otherwise you’ll be repeating this in six months time or less, constantly thinning the lenses until they fail.

In order to restore the lens to OEM standards a new UV coating must be re-applied. Once both lenses were finished sanded to 1500 grit, this ensures the clear coat has a ‘key’ to enable adhesion. When you spray clear coat on the sanded lenses it fills in those light scratches and makes them clear and glossy making them look brand new. SprayMax® (aerosol spray) is a 1K acrylic based clear coat that contains UV-B protection.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:18 PM

Headlight Restoration

I would be interested in the Spray Max SprayMax® 1K Clearcoat Aerosol. I currently use Solaray UV Headlight Lens Repair Coating or LightRite Headlight Restoration and Repair Coating(as an upgrade w/lifetime warranty, but costly stuff). I cant find info for using the SprayMax on headlight lenses. ???
Old 04-11-2011, 07:22 PM

And also, does the SprayMax need to be cured by UV light or sunlight or air dry. If air dry then it isnt real UV protection. My understanding is that ANY coating with real UV protection has to be cured using UV light, either in direct sunlight or with UV lamp.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:59 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by kelik22
... My understanding is that ANY coating with real UV protection has to be cured using UV light, either in direct sunlight or with UV lamp.
First time I've heard that, out of interest why would a paint that contains a UV protectant need to be dryed with a UV source?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by kelik22
I would be interested in the Spray Max SprayMax® 1K Clearcoat Aerosol. I currently use Solaray UV Headlight Lens Repair Coating or LightRite Headlight Restoration and Repair Coating(as an upgrade w/lifetime warranty, but costly stuff). I cant find info for using the SprayMax on headlight lenses. ???
Ultra Violet Protection

In order to restore the lens back to its OEM standards a new UV coating must be re-applied. Once both lenses were finished sanded to 1500 grit, this ensures the clear coat has a ‘key’ to enable adhesion. When you spray clear coat on the sanded lenses it fills in those light scratches and makes them clear and glossy making them look brand new. SprayMax® (aerosol spray) is a 2K clear urethane that contains UV-B protection. (18 USD)

Shake aerosol can vigorously for two minutes before activating. To activate, take the red button from the cap and attach it to the pin on the bottom of the can. Put the top of the aerosol can on stable on a stable surface and push the red button firmly and press the pin into the can. Shake again for two minutes to ensure activator is thoroughly mixed with clear coat.
Apply 2-3 light coats and allow 5-10 minutes between each coat. After the application of the final coat allow approximately 24 hours dry time

Notes:
1. Hardener contains isocyanates take necessary precautions eye and breathing protection.
2. Empty aerosol can before disposal
3. Recommended Dried Film Thickness: 51 µ (2.0 Mil )
4. Higher humidity levels will increase the dry speed of this product.
5. Do not spray in temperatures less than 60.°F
6. Also available in one gallon plus five quart hardener kit ( 60 USD)

{Knowledge Management} - Treating experience as a shared asset. If this article was informative and you learned something new, or have any questions feel free to comment. We would love if you shared this article with your friends on Facebook and Twitter or linked to it from your website or blog- Thanks

Also see my Blog for constantly updated detailing info http://TOGWT ® 1980.blogspot.com/atom.xml
Old 05-22-2011, 02:28 AM

UV coating requirements...

Solaray UV Headlight Spray Application:
1. Mask off areas to protect from overspray.
2. Shake well.
3. Spray 2 coats of 21013 SOLARAY UV HEADLIGHT REPAIR allowing a 2 minute flash time between coats. Allow final coat to flash 5 minutes before exposing to UV lamp.
4. Cure using a 400 watt UVA band light source at a distance of 10” (25cm) for 2 minutes.
NOTE: Cure time will vary depending on lamp energy output and footprint. Can also be cured in direct sunlight tack free in 15 minutes.

Actual UV curing requires the use of UV energy to instantly dry or cure the material. Conventional material requires an extended period of time to flash off of solvents for a complete cure.
The primary advantages of UV cured coatings are that the scratch resistance and overall durability is much greater than conventional materials and maintains a more stable product able to withstand direct long term UV exposure.
In general, UV curable coatings require a dose from a UV light source or radiant(as well as sunlight) energy density of between 0.5 to 3.0 Joules/cm2 (i have no idea what them numbers mean!) to achieve full cure at reasonable times.

I personally use a portable gas generator with UV lights on a tripod so im mobile and can go to used car lots or car dealerships or at customers home, work, etc... but here in So Cal the weather is nice enough they are tack free in sunlight in 5-10 min.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
My tech uses the 3m products. After polishing you might see if one of the plastic film manufacturers like Venture Shield has a kit but this may not stop the chemical reaction. Most automotive plastics are poorly specified. In other words, they s*ck!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:28 PM

Which is why I use Solaray, they are protected for years, no yellowing (which happens within months using 3M or any other product that isnt a real UV coating), no re-oxidation. Better than factory. The oldest headlights I have done using this stuff are about 1 1/2 year old and still look like new. Sand and polish doesnt cut it when charging customers if you plan on staying in biz a while cuz youll have customers returning after only a moth or 2 with yellowing lenses, at least in my experience, and I habe tried most products/kits out there. Now if your just doing your own, no prob to keep polishing every few months
Old 05-26-2011, 06:41 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
There is no such thing as a permanent UV stabilizer, it a matter of physics, not chemistry. Ultra violet protection is a sacrificial and therefore a renewable protection; this is due to the UV protection layer being degraded by exposure to the elements (sun, sand, road or sea salt, and etc) so it is imperative that you renew it and it needs to be re-applied on a regular 45 to 60 day basis (dependent upon location climatic condition)
Old 05-26-2011, 04:25 PM

you dont know what your talking about. google the products i mention and research before spouting bad info. i have been doing headlights for a few years now and i think i have the experience to offer the advise i gave. if your UV coating only lasts a few months, then it aint real UV as i have been saying all along. but hey, go ahead and keep re-applying every other month if you wish. as they say, you can lead a horse to water be cant make it drink...sorry your so mis-informed and closed minded to do some simple investigation on the subject
Old 05-26-2011, 04:29 PM

http://www.cureuv.com/lightrite-head...value-pak.html

http://www.semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=321
Old 05-26-2011, 04:31 PM

Notice the LIFETIME WARRANTY??? probably not......i give up
Old 02-28-2012, 08:11 AM

none
It is amazing how people will try to sidetrack a discussion to promote a product that serves their agenda.
Kelik22 is very passionate about his experience, but out of place.
Sanding a headlight is old news,

The question was about the effectiveness of one product in particular Pittman ALR.
There are conflicting member opinions,

However based on customer feedback on ebay, the members who said it did not work were clearly spreading misinformation.
How can it have a 100% positive feedback if it does not work?
Ebay is one of the most honest places to get a product evaluated.
A dime will get you a dollar that these new members are members of a Autopia based web site. They joined the site for one reason.
They are known for trying to discredit anything that they don't sponsor and they go out of their way to post negative comments about Pittman products.

They join a forum, spread their misinformation and leave.
The proof in in the amount of posts, either one or two and they all join at the same time.
Even a blind man can see what they are doing.

I use Pittman products and know from experience that it works.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried Pittman's Original One Step head light cleaner?