Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Waxing and MBTEX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08C300 White w P2,MM,Pano
Waxing and MBTEX

I Love my c300 to death. I've had it for about 4 months now, and would like to begin waxing it to keep up the shine. Its garage kept for the most part.
My car is white, and when i washed it last week i noticed little brown dots accross the back bumper and trunk.(not visable unless you look close).

I was wondering if i could begin claying? ( if so what brand is best?)

I also want to start conditioning the mbtext, but am scared that it will take the new car smell away. Any suggestions on products to use? My friend that works at MB said use MB's seat care solution.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
MBTex is a vinyl product, use an appropriate cleaner

All US clay is made by or under license from the patent holder Automagic,
Old 06-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to hear you would like to care for your vehicle that you love!

After washing the car I would recommend using a clay about 1 -2 times per year to remove surface contaminants. This should help remove the marks you described as well. Clay is pretty generic as TOGWT stated but my favorite bar would probably be the Clay Magic Fine Grade Clay Bar 200g. I like to use with the Poorboy's World Spray and Wipe as my clay lube. To read more about how to use a clay check out our Detailing Guide Clay Bar section.

For protection you may want to consider using a sealant and/or a wax depending on your detailing goals/routine. Sealants are basically artificial waxes that will last about 3 - 6 months, where as waxes last about 2 - 6 weeks (ball park figures). Waxes generally offer a little more depth and gloss than a sealant. Therefore some people layer a wax on top of a coat of sealant for the ideal combination of protection and shine. If you are only going to do one step I would recommend using a sealant. The only reason I would use just a wax is if you plan on detailing very regularly. My two favorite sealants are the Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 and Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket (FMJ). If you want a really good value try the Poorboy's World EX-P. If you want to use just a wax or layer it on top of your sealant I would recommend the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concourse Wax or the P21S 100% Carnauba Wax.

For the MBtex I would clean and condition it with the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Rejuvenator Oil. This is my favorite combination for deep cleanings and keeping them soft and flexible. You can also protect them with the 303 Aerospace Protectant.

All of these products are available at www.detailedimage.com and you can use your 10% off MBWorld coupon (10offMBW) for additional savings. If you need any other recommendations please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-05-2008, 12:58 AM

2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Greg@DI

For the MBtex I would clean and condition it with the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Rejuvenator Oil. This is my favorite combination for deep cleanings and keeping them soft and flexible. You can also protect them with the 303 Aerospace Protectant.
Leatherique on Tex? Why, it’s plastic?
Old 06-05-2008, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Vinyl

Rubber trim.Also cleans mbtex and keeps window rubber trim pliable.
Detail clay and 5 parts water to 1 part woolite is a great lubricant for the clay,just mix it in a spray bottle and mist as you clay.Just be sure to cut your clay bar into pieces so that if you drop and a chunk you must toss it out and you will have others to work with.
ohlord
Old 06-05-2008, 02:16 AM

Kawasaki
^^Why use woolite when you an use quick detailer, and even cut it with water 50/50
Old 06-05-2008, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.

cap fulls of woolite at about .20 cents and some water,it works better as a lubricant in my experience and if you do a lot of cars saves money.You use what you are comfortable with
ohlord
Old 06-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GL Troll
Leatherique on Tex? Why, it’s plastic?
From my understanding the MBTex is vinyl. Leatherique works great on raw leather, coated leather and synthetic leather (aka vinyl, etc.).

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-05-2008, 08:28 PM

2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
From my understanding the MBTex is vinyl. Leatherique works great on raw leather, coated leather and synthetic leather (aka vinyl, etc.).

Greg @ Detailed Image
Yeah, vinyl = plastic pretty much. Tex is great stuff. Does Leatherique have a leather smell like Z-16?
Old 06-05-2008, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Glad to hear you would like to care for your vehicle that you love!

After washing the car I would recommend using a clay about 1 -2 times per year to remove surface contaminants. This should help remove the marks you described as well. Clay is pretty generic as TOGWT stated but my favorite bar would probably be the Clay Magic Fine Grade Clay Bar 200g. I like to use with the Poorboy's World Spray and Wipe as my clay lube. To read more about how to use a clay check out our Detailing Guide Clay Bar section.

For protection you may want to consider using a sealant and/or a wax depending on your detailing goals/routine. Sealants are basically artificial waxes that will last about 3 - 6 months, where as waxes last about 2 - 6 weeks (ball park figures). Waxes generally offer a little more depth and gloss than a sealant. Therefore some people layer a wax on top of a coat of sealant for the ideal combination of protection and shine. If you are only going to do one step I would recommend using a sealant. The only reason I would use just a wax is if you plan on detailing very regularly. My two favorite sealants are the Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 and Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket (FMJ). If you want a really good value try the Poorboy's World EX-P. If you want to use just a wax or layer it on top of your sealant I would recommend the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concourse Wax or the P21S 100% Carnauba Wax.

All of these products are available at www.detailedimage.com and you can use your 10% off MBWorld coupon (10offMBW) for additional savings. If you need any other recommendations please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
For those that've used P21S 100% carnauba wax - how long do you let it sit before removal for best results? And, you can only apply it by hand (not with PC), correct? TIA
Old 06-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GL Troll
Yeah, vinyl = plastic pretty much. Tex is great stuff. Does Leatherique have a leather smell like Z-16?
I don't think it smells like leather too much. I'm not really sure how to describe it's scent. I like the smell, or maybe I just associate it strongly with freshly cleaned and conditioned leather.

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
For those that've used P21S 100% carnauba wax - how long do you let it sit before removal for best results? And, you can only apply it by hand (not with PC), correct? TIA
I typically apply it and wait about 15 - 20 minutes before buffing away the excess product with a clean microfiber towel. This process should be done by hand. Almost every quality carnauba wax comes in a paste form which will require a hand application.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Almost a Member!

05 C230SS
just use armorall and meguiars products they're really good and better IMO
Old 07-04-2008, 10:34 PM

2003 W211
I don't think it smells like leather too much. I'm not really sure how to describe it's scent. I like the smell, or maybe I just associate it strongly with freshly cleaned and conditioned leather.

Greg @ Detailed Image
lol... i concur with that... it doesnt smell like leather whatsoever (it's an undefinable scent but very distinct in its own right)... but it's a smell that i have grown to associate with "oh baby my leather is buttery again"...