Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Car Waxes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Waxes

Have a couple of layers of P21S wax on my e-55 silver paint, is it alright to switch to another brand of wax and put it over the wax on my car now? I was wanting to try Souveran paste wax or Pete's 53 Black Peal or 50/50 Limited concourse paste wax. Which one should I use or are they all the same? Thanks
Old 07-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dkallencat1
Have a couple of layers of P21S wax on my e-55 silver paint, is it alright to switch to another brand of wax and put it over the wax on my car now? I was wanting to try Souveran paste wax or Pete's 53 Black Peal or 50/50 Limited concourse paste wax. Which one should I use or are they all the same? Thanks

You can layer different waxes on top of each other and there should be no problems. Ideally I would layer the same wax but I don't there will be any issues. All of the waxes you listed are excellent (Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax or Chemical Guys Pete's 53 Black Pearl, Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concourse Paste Wax). I really like the Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax on darker and flat paints. It looks exceptional on virtually any color and I'm a huge fan of it. The CG Pete's 53 Black Pearl is another exceptional wax that looks great on dark paints and is more affordable. The CG 50/50 is probably more versatile and looks great on virtually every color. I think it works well with lighter colors and metallic flake as well. The CG 50/50 is actually 16oz so it's a great value as well. You really can't go wrong with any of them! Let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-09-2008, 12:01 AM

Thanks alot for the information, I will be ordering from you in the future, once again thanks greg. Danny
Old 07-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Banned

No problem at all I'm here to help you in any way I can. Take Care!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-09-2008, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Shouldn't the ideal way of doing this be to use a polish to remove the old wax and then put the new one on?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:14 PM

The old wax is been on the car for only two weeks, I'm not about to take that wax off just to try a new wax. Can you put to much wax on your paint to the point of it maybe yellowing? or the more wax you put on the more depth you get or gloss you get. Danny
Old 07-09-2008, 06:27 PM

Scion tC
Originally Posted by Timeless
Shouldn't the ideal way of doing this be to use a polish to remove the old wax and then put the new one on?
that or use a strong shampoo when washing to strip the soap. a 50/50 ispropyl/water wipe down will also strip sealant and wax.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Banned

In my opinion it's a judgement call on whether or not to layer the waxes (same or different ones) or starting over again. After two weeks there a fair amount of product has faded but you should still have some on the paint. You can layer over this wax for added depth and gloss, but this coating may not bond as well as a fresh coat on a bare surface. There should not be much if any yellowish effect at this point, assuming the vehicle was properly cleaned. Two weeks is kind of like the breaking point for me. Typically 1 day to 2 weeks later I will apply an additional layer of wax from 2 weeks on I generally like to start fresh. This is not necessarily the right way, just my preference based off experience.

Greg @ Detailed Image