Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Need some guidance for caring for new car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A
Need some guidance for caring for new car

My father just got a new black car and I want some guidance as to how to care for it. I have no knowledge as to how to wash/polish/wax the car the "correct" way so I'll be taking it to a detailing shop (if that's what I need to do).

My question is, since the car is brand new, do I need to get it polished and waxed or just waxed? I read around and it seems polishing is for when the paint is scratched or has a lot of swirl marks. Is this correct? If the car is scratched or has a lot of swirl marks, you'd want to polish it and then wax it to protect the polish. Correct?

Secondly, what is a paint sealant?

So, to sum it all up, I want to protect the paint as much as possible. We live in Dubai, UAE where it's very hot during certain times of the year with a lot of sun. What do I need to get done on the car? Polished? Waxed? Paint sealant?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Originally Posted by Kain
My father just got a new black car and I want some guidance as to how to care for it. I have no knowledge as to how to wash/polish/wax the car the "correct" way so I'll be taking it to a detailing shop (if that's what I need to do).

My question is, since the car is brand new, do I need to get it polished and waxed or just waxed? I read around and it seems polishing is for when the paint is scratched or has a lot of swirl marks. Is this correct? If the car is scratched or has a lot of swirl marks, you'd want to polish it and then wax it to protect the polish. Correct?

Secondly, what is a paint sealant?

So, to sum it all up, I want to protect the paint as much as possible. We live in Dubai, UAE where it's very hot during certain times of the year with a lot of sun. What do I need to get done on the car? Polished? Waxed? Paint sealant?

Thanks
Great question. A new car to you doesn't mean it was simply driven out of the factory, sealed, and delivered to the dealer. Most of the time, shipping across the ocean, transport by rail and truck, and some outdoor time of sitting on the dealer lot is involved. Salt air from ocean, rail dust and road grimme from land transportation, and the elements take their toll on the finish of the car.

A proper claying, polishing, and waxing is crucial for the foundation of the car's future. If you know a reputable detail shop, then take it to them as they'll know what to do. If you don't know anyone, then you can do the work yourself and do a great job. Technology in the detailing industry has come a long way in the past few years. There are lots of great products that will be easy and effective to use.

In simple form, I call it Trinity. Claying is basically using a substance the consistency of silly putty or a harder but maliable form ob bubble gum. After washing and drying the car, you spray a lubricant on the paint, rub the clay back and forth on the paint, and this process does a great job of removing the dirt and embedded particles in the paint that washing could not do. It's the foundation of a proper detail.

Once claying is complete, polishing is the next step. Polishing further cleans the paint, lightly abrades the clear coat to polish the clear and bring out the depth and color. This step is probably the most important step.

Finally, a good wax protects all the work you just did and the paint. It further adds depth and color to the paint as well. You asked about sealants. Sealants are a man-made form of a protectant that typically last longer than a traditional carnauba wax. But, if you invest in a high-quality carnauba wax, you'll get the same longevity as you would with a sealant. A natural wax will have greater depth and character opposed to a sealant, a synthetic, which has some depth, but more shine. It all comes down to what look you like.

Since you live in the heat of the desert, and the car is black, I'd say go with a good sealant as the heat will break down the natural carnauba.

Here are some kits that you may be interested in that will have everything you need to clay, polish, and wax.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...its/Categories

As for washing and maintaining, try and be on a good routine. In your climate, because of all the sand, try and wash your car weekly to keep it clean if it's your father's daily drive. As long as you're diligent on this routine, the whole car will look great for years to come.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...its/Categories
Old 09-28-2009, 03:13 PM

N/A
Thank you for your reply.

I had a look at your car wash kits and I have one question. How come the cheapest kit comes with a wheel cleaner and brush while the more expensive Advanced Microfiber Wash Kit doesn't?

Which car wash kit do you recommend? I'm looking at something simple that will clean the car (without ruining the paint sealant finish) and wheels. I'm guessing the Basic Exterior Detail Kit?

Lastly, which towels should I use to clean the window glass? Will the GP MicroTowels work?

Last edited by Kain; 09-28-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Thank you for your reply.

I had a look at your car wash kits and I have one question. How come the cheapest kit comes with a wheel cleaner and brush while the more expensive Advanced Microfiber Wash Kit doesn't?

Which car wash kit do you recommend? I'm looking at something simple that will clean the car (without ruining the paint sealant finish) and wheels. I'm guessing the Basic Exterior Detail Kit?

Lastly, which towels should I use to clean the window glass? Will the GP MicroTowels work?
The basic kit sounds right for just washes. I'd consider the the advanced kit and add the Intermediate wheel kit

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...el-Kits/Detail

This way you're covered for both the interior and exterior routine maintenance.

As for glass, you should get these GP MicroGlass towels. They have no nap so they won't streak or leave lint behind

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...s-Towel/Detail
Old 09-29-2009, 08:22 PM

N/A
How do I apply the wheel cleaning liquid to the wheels? Dip the wheel cleaning brush in the liquid and start cleaning or do I have to mix the liquid with water then dip the brush in the mixture and clean the wheels?

By the way, do you ship to Dubai, UAE?

Last edited by Kain; 09-29-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
How do I apply the wheel cleaning liquid to the wheels? Dip the wheel cleaning brush in the liquid and start cleaning or do I have to mix the liquid with water then dip the brush in the mixture and clean the wheels?

By the way, do you ship to Dubai, UAE?
Good question...the wheel cleaner comes in a sprat bottle already. You simply spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes, use the various brushes to clean the face of the wheel and inside the wheel, and rinse.

Yes...we ship worldwide We have several clients in UAE
Old 09-30-2009, 09:50 AM

N/A
Thanks.

Even the wheel cleaner in the Basic Exterior Detail Kit comes in a spray bottle?

Secondly, for the Meguiar's Glass Cleaner Concentrate, will it come with a spray bottle too? If so, will it come with a spray bottle regardless if I choose 32 oz or 1 gallon?

Thirdly, how much will the shipping charges be?
Old 09-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Thanks.

Even the wheel cleaner in the Basic Exterior Detail Kit comes in a spray bottle?

Secondly, for the Meguiar's Glass Cleaner Concentrate, will it come with a spray bottle too? If so, will it come with a spray bottle regardless if I choose 32 oz or 1 gallon?

Thirdly, how much will the shipping charges be?
Yes...the wheel cleaner come with sprayer. I'd suggest getting the 5 Liter refill as well since you're a bit across the world

The glass cleaner comes with it's own bottle in 32oz size. The 1-gallon does not. Usually, clients buy the 32oz, then get the 1-gallon when they run out. This product is concentrated in the 1-gallon form. You will have glass cleaner for many many years.

Please email me your shipping info:

moe@glisteningperfection.com
Old 09-30-2009, 10:40 AM

N/A
I'll e-mail you shortly with my shipping info.

However, I have another question.

Between the Swissvax Wheel Brush and the EZ Detail Brush, which is your preference?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
I'll e-mail you shortly with my shipping info.

However, I have another question.

Between the Swissvax Wheel Brush and the EZ Detail Brush, which is your preference?
Both brushes are for different applications. The EZ Detail Brush gets inside of the wheel and the wheel well and the Swissvax wheel brush cleans the face of the wheel, the lug nuts, etc. Ideally, both are needed.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:18 AM

N/A
E-mail sent.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
E-mail sent.
Got it...thanks.