Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Someone please help!!! Paint overspray on my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 11:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Unhappy Someone please help!!! Paint overspray on my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well i am moving so we are packing our garadge so we have to keep our cars out on our driveway. but before we move we are having our house painted, which was last week. I left my car at the very end of my driveway which is very far away from my house since i have a pretty long driveway. Well today i decided to wash my car and everything looked fine untill i started to dry it, as i dryed off a small portion of my hood i saw white little specs, i then dryed alot more and then looked all over the car and i see tiny small dots of paint. i was in shock! (they rolled the paint on the house to). Well i decided to finish drying the car and as i did i saw paint eveywhere, from the hood to the trunk, on the paint, and on the windows. The painters told me my car was fine where it was, but it obviously wasen't. I will call up the paint company tomarrow but i dont think they will do anything. I still can not belive it. Is there anything i can do to get it off? after reading some threads it sounds like if there is one thing to do and thats to clay the car? will that get off paint? what will anyone reccomend. btw- it happened on my c230. (black)
my car has also been zaino'd about 3 months ago with Z2.

here are some pictures i took at night with the flash on of the hood very very close up. yes i know my car is a little swirled but thats the least i am worried about at this time.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
last one.......... its only noticable very close up. If u are about over 2 feet away it would not be possible to see.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
uh oh!!! first off u have to attack this soon! First try a clay bar and clay lube. If that doesnt work go to home depot and buy some mineral spirits. Put some on a 100% cotton towel or microfiber towel and try to rub the paint off (when the car is clean). this will not hurt the paint but don't make it a habit of using this on ur paint. good luck!
Old 03-03-2003, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The clay bar is your safest and best route to take.

Instead of buying clay lubricant though just clay the car after youhave washed and rinsed it. Clay it while still wet adding water from the hose as needed.

Since you car has some swirls then I would go ahead and do a serious cleaning, swirl remover, glaze and then seal the finish.

Good luck,
Anthony
Old 03-03-2003, 02:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
ok, well thanks for the advice. i am going to go right now and buy a clay bar. i would do everything like usng swirl remover then waxing after i clay (if it works) but i am planning on using Zaino, and i just ordered the ZFX today. Will it be ok if i dawn wash then clay? and wait at least a week to zaino? or is that bad? and should i dawn wash before the clay?

thanks again.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:42 PM

You can go straight to the Zaino after the clay session. No need to wait.

Also there is no need to use Dawn. Dawn is just a fad that everyone and their grandmother is now using to strip the finish but when you clay the car it will remove any wax you have on the finish.

If you are worried about protecting the finish until your Zaino arrives then just apply a coat of Meguirs cleaner/wax or something from Eagle One.

Wash
clay
rinse well
clean
polish
seal

Happy Detailing
Old 03-03-2003, 03:06 PM
moomeh

this is a nightmare! hope everything works out ok.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by Anthony Orosco

Also there is no need to use Dawn. Dawn is just a fad that everyone and their grandmother is now using to strip the finish but when you clay the car it will remove any wax you have on the finish.

If you are worried about protecting the finish until your Zaino arrives then just apply a coat of Meguirs cleaner/wax or something from Eagle One.

Wash
clay
rinse well
clean
polish
seal

Happy Detailing
ok, i just bought blue magic clay and lube, i am going to try all this right now.

thanks, i will let u all know how it turns out.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by Anthony Orosco

Wash
clay
rinse well
clean
polish
seal

Happy Detailing
I would suggest a dawn wash after claying if you are using the clay magic lube and wiping the lube off with an MF towel afterwards. if using carwash soap go straight to zaino.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:28 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Ok, well i just got finished. i worked since 4:00 to 9:45.

The clay bar and lube were great, it took off all the paint easily with just a couple rubs, i clayed the whole car and am very happy with the results.

here is what i did, i dont know if these steps are reccomended but i did them anyway.

1. washed car with meguairs gold class shampoo
2. dryed car
3. clayed whole car with the blue magic lube. i did not wipe off the lube so.....
4. washed the car all over again with the gold class shampoo
5. dryed car and finshed up the wheels, tires and windows.
6. brought car in garadge and moved tons of boxes since i was getting bit my tons of misquitos.
7. i decided i should not use zaino since all i have is Z2 and i ordered ZFX and Z5. i diden't want to just use Z2 alone since i heard it may not bond well. so...
8. the only other wax i had was meguairs gold class wax. so i figured i would use it untill i get my order of zaino.
9. applyed wax by hand and took it off my hand.

I am very very satisfied with the meguairs gold class wax, so i will be leaving it on there for about a month or 2 (max). The shine is just as good as the Zaino and it feels great. It even filled in my swirls very nicely.

All of the paint overspray luckly came off. After inspecting the car i only counted 2 small tiny tiny spots i missed. which are not even noticable close up.

The car looks and feels great in person but here are some pictures that dont do any justice since somehow the pictures did not come out good in my garadge at all.

The one white spec you see in this picture is a chip, not paint.
btw the first pic is in the same spot as i took the others shown above.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
this view looked great in person but the picture sucks.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:34 PM

13 S550 4Matic
Cool, Gold class did a good job of getting rid of all those swirl marks as well!!! Looks like you killed 2 birds with one stone! At least all your hard work paid off.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
very nice my man!
Old 03-03-2003, 10:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
last one, like i said they dont do much.

I would like to thank the 2 poeple that helped give me advice.
i feel soooooo much better its all off. i can finally sleep.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2003, 10:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by CiLKY
Cool, Gold class did a good job of getting rid of all those swirl marks as well!!! Looks like you killed 2 birds with one stone! At least all your hard work paid off.
Yeah, i am very suprised the gold class wax took out all the swirls. I'm impressed.

As long as the paint is off i feel like my work paid off. (thats the overspray i mean)

Originally posted by AlBoston
very nice my man!
I feel honered! This is comming from a man that i consider the god of auto detailing.

Thanks