Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

What should be covered with paint protective film?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 08:54 PM
DKN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E 550 4matic, 2012 GL 450, 55 Morgan Plus4
What should be covered with paint protective film?

In 2 or 3 days I will pick up the E550 4matic I ordered the first week in January. Needles to say I am pretty excited to finally get this car. Indium Grey with Natural beige interior, Burl Walnut trim, P2, drive dynamic seats and driver assist in the sport package.

My question to the detailers out there is to what should be covered with a paint protective film? And, what product?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-17-2010, 04:42 AM

none
I am not sure what you mean by a paint protective film, but headlights should also be protected from oxidation accumulation which will cloud the lens. An acrylic paint conditioner would work on both.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:52 AM
DKN

2010 E 550 4matic, 2012 GL 450, 55 Morgan Plus4
I guess I am looking for advice on a clear bra, clear 3M film or other film. I posted here because the professional detailers probably see cars with and without that kind of product and would have opinions about whether the product is appropriate.

I had not thought about the lights though, thanks.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 SL550, 2015 C300
Protective film

Unless you live where the roads are gravel and there is much debris thrown up by the car or truck in front, I have never understood the application of some kind of film over a paint surface that Mercedes spent millions to develop. Especially when this plastic is applied by some guy in the detail department (maybe) and the dealer is making huge profits. How much did they say they would charge you for this? Hundreds? A regularly clayed, polished, and waxed car looks so much better. The cars at the various concours do not have a plastic film put on them, do they? And what happens when the film gets dirty or scuffed? This is an expensive, bad idea, IMO.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Originally Posted by Jim K
Unless you live where the roads are gravel and there is much debris thrown up by the car or truck in front, I have never understood the application of some kind of film over a paint surface that Mercedes spent millions to develop. Especially when this plastic is applied by some guy in the detail department (maybe) and the dealer is making huge profits. How much did they say they would charge you for this? Hundreds? A regularly clayed, polished, and waxed car looks so much better. The cars at the various concours do not have a plastic film put on them, do they? And what happens when the film gets dirty or scuffed? This is an expensive, bad idea, IMO.
You couldn't be more wrong. The new Mercedes paint formula is very scratch resistant, but chips very easily. The best way to prevent unsightly chips (besides not driving) is through a quality (3M or Venture Shield) clear bra. This is the ONLY time sensitive mod and should be done as one of the first things when rolled off the lot. I'm not suggesting getting it done at the dealership as most times they just outsource to external vendor. Clear bras can be clayed, polished, and waxed just like regular paint. You treat it as a clear coat and is fully transparent. Your concourse statement is false too as I know several concourse exotics that DO apply clear film to protect their investment. It's probably just applied so well that you don't notice it. Any that don't apply this protection are typically trailer queens.

Clay, polish, wax does nothing if you have a rock chip off the clear and paint.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 SL550, 2015 C300
Plastic film

Dear AZN: Do you work for 3M? I've had three Mercedes over the past 13 years and never experienced the chipping you're talking about. The newer ones I have never chip. Why would you have some well-meaning guy making minimum wage slap plastic over the front of your hood when Mercedes has spent hundreds of millions to perfect their paint finish? And when the plastic starts to peel from the edges (see other entries in the past on this site) what do you do? This plastic can never obtain the finish real detailing provides. You really couldn't be more wrong, AZN. But good luck and I hope that plastic film doesn't peel, turn yellow, leave a mark, etc. as other applications have done.

Last edited by Jim K; 04-18-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-18-2010, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jim K
Dear AZN: Do you work for 3M? I've had three Mercedes over the past 13 years and never experienced the chipping you're talking about. The newer ones I have never chip. Why would you have some well-meaning guy making minimum wage slap plastic over the front of your hood when Mercedes has spent hundreds of millions to perfect their paint finish? And when the plastic starts to peel from the edges (see other entries in the past on this site) what do you do? This plastic can never obtain the finish real detailing provides. You really couldn't be more wrong, AZN. But good luck and I hope that plastic film doesn't peel, turn yellow, leave a mark, etc. as other applications have done.
Nope, don't work for 3M, but I did mention the other top brand Venture Shield, so not sure why you'd assume I worked for 3M. And if you've been on this forum long enough and been to enough Mercedes car meets, you'll see plenty of evidence of rock chips. Post a poll on the 204 forums which all are using the new formula and see how many have rock chips. It's been mentioned plenty of times. I don't know what KMart brand vinyl clear bra you've seen, but high quality ones will not peel, or turn yellow, or leave mark (not even sure what you mean by that, but I'm assuming you're thinking of the removal of the film). Try doing a little more research as the technology behind transparent film has advanced in the 10+ years you've probably first heard of it.

Let me put it this way....if MB paint never chips, why do they sell touch up paint at dealerships hmmm?
Old 04-18-2010, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's a quick search on the new nano paint to support my argument.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...olding-up.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ails-test.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...t-c-class.html