Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Car Detailing and Cleaning Guides
Print Wikipost

swirl marks on black car before and after detailing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E320BTC, 2011 ML350BTC
Smile swirl marks on black car before and after detailing

Hi All,

I don't know a lot about detailing, but I had my black 2009 E320 BTC at the dealer and asked for a complete detailing and include a waxing and buffing because I could see small swirl marks all over the car (I guess the previous owner went through a car wash with brushes )

When I picked the car up, the scratches were still there. The dealer advised to check in another light, but I am not that much of a noob. Did they not do the waxing and buffing, or am I expecting too much.

I saw the sticky on the orbital buffer, so it seems hopeful to have these removed. I won't even dare to attempt it myself.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:20 PM

2005 CLK500 cab, 2004 S600 designo mocha
A good polish takes a lot of time, and I don't think it's normally something dealers do, I think they only ADD the swirls, not remove them?

Find a good detailer in your area. Your info doesn't say where your from, but I assume there should be one close if you're in a decent sized town.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:34 PM

That is the thing. I paid for a full detail and requested the buffing and waxing. I wonder if I didn't ask for the right thing. I work with a dealer in Fredericksburg, VA.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:52 PM

Well what I think of buffing and waxing is just having wax applied and then buffed to give it extra shine.

The car needs to be polished first with an orbital like you mentioned. Using a polishing pad and compound. A popular compound is like Meguiars M105 and M205.

To wax a car takes me about 1 hour. To polish (what you need) a car takes me about 3-4 hours. Big difference.

Maybe call http://www.robscarwash.com/services.html. On their website they say you have to call about swirl removal. You'll have to take it in and they'll give you an estimate.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:02 PM

OK. Thanks for the local link!

I will check it out.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 AM

none
Detailing with polish and a buffer will put more scratches in your paint that you will have to try and hide.
The best thing you can put on your paint is VaporWax acrylic paint conditioner.
It won't repair the damager but it wont create new damage either.

VaporWax will make those fine scratches you speak of invisible.
leave a brilliant shine and prevent oxidation.
in addition to that it dosen't need buffing, removal and it never dulls.
Best thing is you can do it your self in a few minutes.

http://youtu.be/DBNaqF8vggc
Old 02-29-2012, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by sidwynder
Detailing with polish and a buffer will put more scratches in your paint that you will have to try and hide.

Is there a reason you keep shoving this vapor (ironic?) product down peoples throat? He asked about removing the swirl marks in his paint that were caused from going through an automatic car was (happens all the time).
On a side note, before pushing these products (which are probably your own, as you're the only person who pushes them), please do research on the interwebs. There is a huge amount of negative feedback just from simply googling "vaporwax". Even if your specific experience with the product is positive, realize hardly no one else agrees with you. Maybe everyone else is just dumb and doesn't know how to use the product? Maybe it will be a big hit in 2050? There is no denying that the massive amount of negative feedback on the internet (read...not ebay feedback) should hint to most people: don't to take a chance on this product.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 AM
OTD

2011 Audi A4
euro_sport I know a detailer in your area and sent him a link to this thread.. hopefully he can help you out!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seeking an 04'-06' E55 AMG
I use to detail cares on the weekends for extra cash and I would buff them out. I never caused more swirl marks, in fact the reason you get swirl marks on a car is because your cloths are not clean when you wax your car.

Rule of thumb I always used was to use CLEAN cloths everytime, eventhought it was expensive. NEVER use a sponge to wach your car either. I always used clean cloths/rags to wash my car, then clean to dry them. Clean to glaze, then clean to wax the car. Of course, I used more cloths/rags to take off the wax. Approx. 3 per car, YES, that's 3 per car and the reason I never got swirl marks.

Can you find a Car Brite Dealer in your area.? I highly suggest a product called, Crystal Shine it is a clean/glaze and will take any and all swirl marks off. It is ONLY a cleaner/glaze and on it's own it will last for about 2 weeks, then it is gone. I would buff the car, glaze it (YES, with Crystal Shine) then wax it with Zymol and then the big secret....Spray some cold water over the car, once you wax it. Just dry it off, DO NOT USE ANY SOAP, just regular cold water and dry off. The shine of the paint will blow you away.

If you can't find a Car Brite Dealer in your area, that's because it is a supplier for Body Shops, Car Dealers and Detail Shops. I would buy it in gallons and out it in small bottles for resell to my customers. I would sell the bottle for $ 8 each. If you can't find it locally, let me know and I will send you a bottle for free. Trust me, I am NOT A DEALER FOR ANY OF THESE PRODUCTS. I just use them for myself now as that was years ago that I use to detail cars when I was a kid. I am a grow man now and those days are behind me. It is still nice to work on your own car and see great results.

Let me know and enjoy,
Stephen
Old 04-01-2012, 10:19 PM

none
Originally Posted by babyman1737
Is there a reason you keep shoving this vapor (ironic?) product down peoples throat? He asked about removing the swirl marks in his paint that were caused from going through an automatic car was (happens all the time).
On a side note, before pushing these products (which are probably your own, as you're the only person who pushes them), please do research on the interwebs. There is a huge amount of negative feedback just from simply googling "vaporwax". Even if your specific experience with the product is positive, realize hardly no one else agrees with you. Maybe everyone else is just dumb and doesn't know how to use the product? Maybe it will be a big hit in 2050? There is no denying that the massive amount of negative feedback on the internet (read...not ebay feedback) should hint to most people: don't to take a chance on this product.

"Massive amount of negative feedback?
That's funny.
Where? on autopia related sites?
If you research the internet you will find the only people who have negative comments never used the product and all are connected with autopia.

Opinions are cheap, Everybody can afford to have an opinion.
Feedback costs.
A person has to spend money to leave feedback.
I have yet to see any negative feedback anywhere on the internet about VaporWax,
A lot of negative comments from people who never used it on autopia related forums, but they have a reputation for banning members who don't sing with the choir.

There is plenty of feedback on ebay from actual users of the product that go back for years and none of them agree with you or your frends at autopia.

List some of these Internet sites where you found actual feedback ( Not just opinions) of people who used VaporWax and did not like it.

Prove your point, if you can.

Last edited by sidwynder; 04-01-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:17 PM

I'm not going to continue the pissing match in this forum about your "vapor" product.

I have never been a member on autopia forums, or contributed to any of their threads. I DO understand that they are one of the internet leaders for auto detailing.

The only positive feedback you find online of the "vapor" product is on rando websites from someone who used the product and it's changed their life, then always linked at the end of their testimonial to the product website. Fishy....? Let other web surfers decide.

My question for sidwynder: Are you in any way affiliated with the "vapor" product? Or do you just only use this forum to only post in the Detailing sub-forum and namedrop the "vapor" product as much as possible and post links for it?
Old 04-02-2012, 02:21 AM

none
Originally Posted by babyman1737
I'm not going to continue the pissing match in this forum about your "vapor" product.

I have never been a member on autopia forums, or contributed to any of their threads. I DO understand that they are one of the internet leaders for auto detailing.

The only positive feedback you find online of the "vapor" product is on rando websites from someone who used the product and it's changed their life, then always linked at the end of their testimonial to the product website. Fishy....? Let other web surfers decide.

My question for sidwynder: Are you in any way affiliated with the "vapor" product? Or do you just only use this forum to only post in the Detailing sub-forum and namedrop the "vapor" product as much as possible and post links for it?
LOL
See not even one link to support your incredible statement.
You can't break down the product so now you want to break me down.
Grasping for straws.
It's always the same story, anytime someone comes out of nowhere attacking VaporWax.
Just a lot of hot air blowing out the side of their necks.
Wheres your proof?
What experience have you had?

I would think with "massive negative feedback" as you described, you would not have a problem pointing out supporting evidence to your claim, but you can't even come up with one site.

How can you expect to have any credibility when you make statements you cannot back up?
Instead of you looking informative, you look like a parrot repeating what he was taught to say.

Why should anybody believe anything else you said?

This posting is about dealing with swirl marks. All you did was to come in here with nothing to contribute, except to entertain us by show casing your inability to think independently of others (autopia).
Old 04-02-2012, 02:24 PM

This posting is about dealing with swirl marks. All you did was to come in here with nothing to contribute, except to entertain us by show casing your inability to think independently of others (autopia).

In sticking with the OP's question, I was the second and fourth post in this thread. I linked a professional detailer near the OP, and answered the OP's question.

You never answered my question underlined and bolded:

This thread was between the OP and myself with useful information, until your vapor product was introduced.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:23 PM

'14 CLA 45

Geez, here we go again - Babyman, he was called out by several mbworld members in the past, none of which had any affiliation with autopia. He isn't all too dumb in regards to the process with a polisher, yet he keeps making these nonsense statement such as the one above, highlighted in red.

The product description even states that this application will render great result for about a month, therefore making it no different than your fillers, just without the need for a polisher.

If you go to the website and scroll to comments from buyers, you will see that all references are in regards to auto parts from many different sellers and not VaporMax.

The market would have generated many testimonials and right ups already, if this product was legitimate.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 STI
here is a car we just did.

took us about 14 hours.

https://mbworld.org/forums/detailing...-full-out.html
Old 04-15-2012, 06:17 AM

benz
Sorry, you have no idea what youre talking about. Dont listen to this morons advice.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:34 PM

none
Originally Posted by omegaslast
Sorry, you have no idea what youre talking about. Dont listen to this morons advice.
You need to look up the definition of polish.
True polish works by means of applied friction caused by two surfaces rubbing against each other.
The result is the smoothing of one by abrasion.
Morons usually don't understand that there is more than one kind of polish.
Most Morons think polish is wax.
They have no idea that they are two very different products with different purposes.
Morons don't understand that the english language allows for one word the have several meanings.
A good example, the word polish.
Nail polish
shoe polish
furniture polish
floor poish
glass polish

Only a moron would not understand that mechanical polish such as copper and silver and automotive polish are all abrasive based.

They work by a system that utilizes its abrasive ability to creates scratches.
The idea is to remove a thin layer of the surface to which it is applied, It accomplishes this by creating thousands of super fine scratches of equal depth around the affected area until it equals the depth of the original scratch.

The scratch is gone but now the surface are has been dulled.
Now you will need to cover those scratches, Wax is the prefered method, It can fill the super fine scratches and make them dissappear, but they are still there beneath the wax.

Only a Moron would need that explained to him.
Only a Moron who had no idea of what he was talking about would make a ignorant statement like you did.

You've gone beyond Moron.
By joining this site just to display the ugly side of your attitude, and the depth of your ignorance, I would have to describe you as: "Some Strange New kind of Fool".

Last edited by sidwynder; 05-03-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:04 PM

'14 CLA 45
You need to look up the definition of polish.
True polish works by means of applied friction caused by two surfaces rubbing against each other.
The result is the smoothing of one by abrasion.
Morons usually don't understand that there is more than one kind of polish.
Most Morons think polish is wax.
They have no idea that they are two very different products with different purposes.
Morons don't understand that the english language allows for one word the have several meanings.
A good example, the word polish.
Nail polish
shoe polish
furniture polish
floor poish
glass polish

Only a moron would not understand that mechanical polish such as copper and silver and automotive polish are all abrasive based.

They work by a system that utilizes its abrasive ability to creates scratches.
The idea is to remove a thin layer of the surface to which it is applied, It accomplishes this by creating thousands of super fine scratches of equal depth around the affected area until it equals the depth of the original scratch.

The scratch is gone but now the surface are has been dulled.
Now you will need to cover those scratches, Wax is the prefered method, It can fill the super fine scratches and make them dissappear, but they are still there beneath the wax.

Only a Moron would need that explained to him.
Only a Moron who had no idea of what he was talking about would make a ignorant statement like you did.

You've gone beyond Moron.
By joing this site just to display the ugly side of your attitude, and the depth of your ignorance, I would have to describe you as: "Some Strange New kind of Fool".
Your statement, that was quoted earlier, can be very easily misinterpreted in that polishing a car with an abbrasive polish will only worsen things, whereas this is not true if done properly. Wetsanding and polishing is the best example.

Yes, the paint becomes subject to more imperfections when using an abbrasive polish, but on such a mirco-level that they really should not receive any attention.

But before you start another fire in this detailing section, why don't you try and put out a different one first?

https://mbworld.org/forums/detailing...t-cleaner.html
Old 05-02-2012, 06:25 PM
OTD

2011 Audi A4
here is a better explanation of polishing your paint. get a cup of coffee.... its long

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=66024

I hope you enjoy the the read and have a better understanding of whats involve in a detail.

Franki
Old 05-03-2012, 11:39 PM

none
Originally Posted by kickR
Your statement, that was quoted earlier, can be very easily misinterpreted in that polishing a car with an abbrasive polish will only worsen things, whereas this is not true if done properly. Wetsanding and polishing is the best example.

Yes, the paint becomes subject to more imperfections when using an abbrasive polish, but on such a mirco-level that they really should not receive any attention.

But before you start another fire in this detailing section, why don't you try and put out a different one first?

https://mbworld.org/forums/detailing...t-cleaner.html
I have said all I have to say to you, on that subject. You want to keep beating a dead horse.
Nothing you say will change the established facts.
I suggest you find something else to talk about.
Preferably something you have more accurate information on.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:20 AM

'14 CLA 45
I have said all I have to say to you, on that subject. You want to keep beating a dead horse.
Nothing you say will change the established facts.
I suggest you find something else to talk about.
Preferably something you have more accurate information on.

The 'established facts' are that you are chickening out on an opportunity to put some credibility to the product you swear by.

I told you that I would be the first one to admit that I was wrong about the product, if I made a mistake in the application and that I would be more than willing to work with you, in order to get some properly documented results.

But if you continue to promote Pittman's products as you have until now and play ignorant to the fact that there is a really good chance of giving their product some credibility on this board and maybe others as well, you are not of any substantial help to this detailing section.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:45 AM

'14 CLA 45
Who am I kidding?
You won't come around on my offer either way.

If someone was to buy this product even though it has no credibility other than:

- from its own website
- some youtube videos that only capture immidiate results
- ebay ratings of people who might not have yet experienced results from a buffer & polish
- and someone as yourself, who appears not willing to establish more credibility than the above mentioned

that person deserves to lose their money on this.

I cannot help someone who is ignorant to the fact that he is given the opportunity to at least show all these nay sayers on this board that they are wrong.

Unless you want to take me up on my offer, this will be the end of it for me as far as the headlight cleaner goes. It seems like other detailers on here learned to care less, maybe I should try the same

Last edited by kickR; 05-04-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:24 PM

C55 AMG, E55 AMG
These were fun reads

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...-vaporwax.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...x-warning.html
Old 05-04-2012, 10:45 PM

none
I agree, those are funny considering the source. I would read them for a laugh until it became known that autopia was installing malware on visitors computers. A lot of people found themselves trying to clear spyware from their computers.
No link necessary for proof just google, "Autopia Virus", and see what comes up, then go check your computer.
As for you Kickr, No one cares what you think, Your opinion does not have any credibility, and you have no experience.
You cannot even comprehend what you read, that's why you want to compare a deoxidizer to a resurfacer.
Apples and Oranges.
Two different products designed for different results.
Who do you think you are "consumer reports"?
Do you honestly think people are waiting on you to educate yourself on yesterdays news?
Look around, your opinion has the value of a grain of salt in a bowl of sugar.

Contact the company and see if they will give you some free product.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:27 AM
OTD

2011 Audi A4
seriously guys get a life, arguing on the internet gets no where.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: swirl marks on black car before and after detailing