Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

The Proper Way to Wash Your Benz (The 2-Bucket Method)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Corvette Coupe
The Proper Way to Wash Your Benz (The 2-Bucket Method)

In this video series, I talk about and show my method of a 2-bucket wash. From start to finish, I cover every step in how to wash a car without creating damage to the paint. Every step in this process is critical to the preservation of your paint and as most of you know, I have the paint to show for it. For those who don't know, I'll provide the pictorial proof.

So sit back, watch and enjoy. This video series, like all the other ones that I have done is not absent of my usual screw ups. What can I say, it's another "brutha' in his garage production!"

That's all folks!

The Junkman
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 PM

09 C300
love it the only way to do it
Old 04-14-2013, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
I admire his attention to detail. but damn, in the UK where the weather is crappy pretty much 90% of the year, this much care would be overkill.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:11 PM

2001 Corvette Coupe
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
I admire his attention to detail. but damn, in the UK where the weather is crappy pretty much 90% of the year, this much care would be overkill.
Man, it sucks to be in the UK!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Put it this way, if I want my car to be clean for the weekend, it often means washing it Friday after work and then Saturday afternoon again (to wash off rain/crap from Friday night)...and then maybe another time on Sunday to let it be clean and sleep on the driveway during the week.

The weather is slowwwwly starting to improve now that we're in mid April, so I'm trying to apply as much wax and polish as I can whenever I get a chance. Almost makes me want to buy a crummy car.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:33 PM

2001 Corvette Coupe
I do have a crummy car and it would see a lot of daylight in the UK. The nice car stays in the garage until the weather clears.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
0 - Bucket Method

I'm a big fan of the Zero bucket method... My car is kept so clean, and built up with protection on the paint that a foam gun and pressure rinse takes all the dirt off. I follow the Larry from Ammo NY theory that you constantly build up layers of protection. So, initially I will 2 bucket it, with dish soap to get back to square one, clay, then paint correction with the rotary, polish and jewel with a foam pad, apply synthetic wax as protectant, then several stages of polish, finally a carnuba, then a carnuba spray. After every wash, again, I use the Ammo NY method to dry, of using Two Microfibers, one to simultaneously apply spray carnuba and wipe excess beaded up water, the second to follow and remove the remaining spray wax, so, in essence, each time I wash and dry, I'm applying what I've removed. This process keeps the paint slick either repel, or keep any contaminates from sticking to it, so, even tree sap and bird droppings, road grime, etc just rinse off with the soap gun and a pressurized rinse. I try to keep the least amount of fabrics touching my paint as possible. Even my wheels respond well to this treatment and require minimum agitation to remove brake dust.... When doing the drying process, I also only ever use straight lines, never circular motion. I have no swirl marks or fine scratches in my 2002 Black Opal Metallic CLK-430.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E450 Wagon, GLE350, S500
Here's two ways one of the best detailers in Florida does it. Found Garry courtesy of member TOGWT right here on the site. Thanks again TOGWT.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:16 PM

09 C300
Scott I'm lost if you washed right. why would you need to do paint correction?
Old 06-15-2013, 06:03 AM

2001 Corvette Coupe
Originally Posted by Scott Simoncic
I'm a big fan of the Zero bucket method... My car is kept so clean, and built up with protection on the paint that a foam gun and pressure rinse takes all the dirt off. I follow the Larry from Ammo NY theory that you constantly build up layers of protection. So, initially I will 2 bucket it, with dish soap to get back to square one, clay, then paint correction with the rotary, polish and jewel with a foam pad, apply synthetic wax as protectant, then several stages of polish, finally a carnuba, then a carnuba spray. After every wash, again, I use the Ammo NY method to dry, of using Two Microfibers, one to simultaneously apply spray carnuba and wipe excess beaded up water, the second to follow and remove the remaining spray wax, so, in essence, each time I wash and dry, I'm applying what I've removed. This process keeps the paint slick either repel, or keep any contaminates from sticking to it, so, even tree sap and bird droppings, road grime, etc just rinse off with the soap gun and a pressurized rinse. I try to keep the least amount of fabrics touching my paint as possible. Even my wheels respond well to this treatment and require minimum agitation to remove brake dust.... When doing the drying process, I also only ever use straight lines, never circular motion. I have no swirl marks or fine scratches in my 2002 Black Opal Metallic CLK-430.
Dude, there is so much WRONG in what you have posted here that I won't even begin to point out all the flaws. I will just say that anyone thinking about doing this would have to be a few fries short of a happy meal.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Detailing is an obsession to me

Old 07-17-2013, 09:04 AM

2001 Corvette Coupe
Originally Posted by pinebaron
Detailing is an obsession to me
You and me both.