Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

What is New Car Prep? How do you tell a Detailing Hacker?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E450 Wagon, GLE350, S500
Question What is New Car Prep? How do you tell a Detailing Hacker?

I have a brand new daily driver ML in obsidian black. It was "detailed" at the dealership upon delivery. The car has 80 miles on it and is garaged. I was going to have paint film protection installed and therefore made a few inquiries. Because I had several different recommendations from installers and detailers, I was wondering if anyone on the forum had any suggestions.

1) What type of detailing service should I get? I got various recommendations on the number of times the car needs to be polished to achieve "perfection." Is there a rule of thumb as to what is enough? How does one determine when there is no more to do on a paint? It seems so subjective but I may be missing something here and I would appreciate your thoughts. What exactly is "new car prep?"

2) I received various recommendations on "sealing" the car. The two most popular recommendations were "opti-coat" and "c-quartz." Do any of you have experience with either of these? A couple of detailers suggested that I don't need to seal the car if I was going to have the car detailed a couple of times a year. Any thoughts?

3) I also had several different recommendations on the type of paint protection film that should be applied. 3M, Suntek and Expel were the 3 recommendations that I received. Is there one that is particularly good for daily use in the Florida sun?

4) I surfed a bit on other detailer forums and I found numerous posts warning of detailing "hackers" in Florida and elsewhere. What types of questions should I be asking the detailer to determine their competence? Is there a "must do" and "must not do" list of things that the consumer should be aware of when it comes to detailers? Is there a list available of detailers who are NOT recommended?

5) For future reference, when I go pick up a vehicle from a dealer, should I have asked them NOT to detail the car because so many dealerships have "hackers" that detail the new cars? What's your experience? I had 3 detailers tell me the paint would be more "perfect" if they just left it alone.

6) I also have a 2013 diamond white wagon that has 8k miles on it. Because imperfections are less visible on a white car, is the detail required prior to paint protection film any different?

7) Finally, is there anything about Mercedes paint that the detailer should know about? Any tell tell sign questions that I can ask the detailer about their knowledge of Mercedes paint?

Apologies for the long winded series of questions.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:19 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
'08 CL65
This should help: http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...yperlinks.html
Old 05-13-2013, 04:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
I have included hyperlinks to various TOGWT articles for a more in-depth answer

1) What type of detailing service should I get? I got various recommendations on the number of times the car needs to be polished to achieve "perfection." Is there a rule of thumb as to what is enough? How does one determine when there is no more to do on a paint? It seems so subjective but I may be missing something here and I would appreciate your thoughts. What exactly is "new car prep?"

A. The dealership can do this, if they do it usually comes with (at no charge) paint scratches and holograms.
1. TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Article “New Vehicle Care” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1453380

2) I received various recommendations on "sealing" the car. The two most popular recommendations were "opti-coat" and "c-quartz." Do any of you have experience with either of these? A couple of detailers suggested that I don't need to seal the car if I was going to have the car detailed a couple of times a year. Any thoughts?

A. Your paint will require ultra violet protection, especially from the FL sun. My coating fo choice is a product from Optimum Polymer Technologies, Opti-Coat™

2. TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Article “Nanotechnology coatings “- http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...-products.html

3) I also had several different recommendations on the type of paint protection film that should be applied. 3M, Suntek and Expel were the 3 recommendations that I received. Is there one that is particularly good for daily use in the Florida sun?

A. Paint protection film (PPF) products protect the leading edge of your vehicle from damage caused by rocks, gravel, salt or insects through the application of a thin and virtually invisible urethane paint protection3M Clear Shield, Avery, Durashield, Hartz, Llumar, Premier Protective Films, Stevens Venture Tape XPEL and probably a few others I am forgetting.

My preferred products would be either Premier Protective Films or XPEL
3. TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Article “Paint Protection Film (PPF)” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...-film-ppf.html

4) I surfed a bit on other detailer forums and I found numerous posts warning of detailing "hackers" in Florida and elsewhere. What types of questions should I be asking the detailer to determine their competence? Is there a "must do" and "must not do" list of things that the consumer should be aware of when it comes to detailers? Is there a list available of detailers who are NOT recommended?

A. A little too complex to answer in even a few sentences –
TOGWT® Knowledge Base Blogs – “Selecting a Professional Auto Detailer” - http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2013...-detailer.html

5) For future reference, when I go pick up a vehicle from a dealer, should I have asked them NOT to detail the car because so many dealerships have "hackers" that detail the new cars? What's your experience? I had 3 detailers tell me the paint would be more "perfect" if they just left it alone.

A. I totally agree that you should ask a detailer to prep a new car, after all a dealership is in business to sell cars, a detailer is in business to make vehicles look good and provide paint renovation / protection

6) I also have a 2013 diamond white wagon that has 8k miles on it. Because imperfections are less visible on a white car, is the detail required prior to paint protection film any different?

A. There should be no difference in the prep for PPF for either a new or previously owned vehicle

7) Finally, is there anything about Mercedes paint that the detailer should know about? Any tell tell sign questions that I can ask the detailer about their knowledge of Mercedes paint?

A. Ask the detailer what products they use on CeramiClear paint (this is the paint used by MB) and it requires a specific type of polish

Last edited by TOGWT; 05-13-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 PM

E450 Wagon, GLE350, S500
Thank you for the link xabo.

TOGWT - What a fantastic resource you are! I am going to take the time to read your numerous articles on autopia and elsewhere so I can ask more educated questions next time. It seems that since you are a detailing educator, you must also have some prized students or colleagues who can offer me the necessary services. I am wondering if you have anyone in South Florida (I am in both Miami and Jupiter)? In mid June (if all goes well) I am also picking up a new car from a MB dealer in St. Pete. Perhaps you have someone you know there that could do a new car prep for me? Maybe PPF at the same time?

What should the detailer answer when asked what products they use on CeramiClear paint? What would be the recommended type of polish?

Thanks again for your response and continued assistance.

Last edited by jnejah; 05-13-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: forgot to ask a question
Old 05-14-2013, 06:35 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Garry Dean - Premium Custom Detailing - Serving Tampa Bay 813-846-4406

There are quite a few polish/compound products made for (hard) CeramiClear paint- Menzerna is my preffered polishing range,but there are a few others
Old 05-15-2013, 10:02 AM

E450 Wagon, GLE350, S500
Thumbs up

TOGWT - many thanks for your recommendation. I will contact him! You have so many articles posted in regard to auto detailing, I'm embarrassed (almost) to ask questions! I really appreciate your patience and thank you in advance for my novice inquiries to come.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:45 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by jnejah
TOGWT - many thanks for your recommendation. I will contact him! You have so many articles posted in regard to auto detailing, I'm embarrassed (almost) to ask questions! I really appreciate your patience and thank you in advance for my novice inquiries to come.
Only glad to be of help.

We all had to start somewhere, with me that somewhere was five decades (doesn' sound so long ago as fifty years, nor make me feel as old) ago; experience unshared is knowledge wasted.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:32 PM

E450 Wagon, GLE350, S500
spoke to Garry Dean

TOGWT - I spoke to Garry yesterday. He was thoughtful and thorough in his explanation of his version of "new car prep." Your unbiased recommendation is much appreciated once again. He will detail the new (decontaminate, polish and then seal w opti coat 2), yet to be delivered car for me early next month. After we do the new car, I'm hoping that my experience will be satisfactory that he can then proceed to detail my other vehicles too.
I'm on the fence about getting the film protection so I'm going to research the forum a bit more and then post a few more questions.
Many thanks again.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350,Ford Escape,Camry,C280
From what I gather MB already provides a clear coat at the factory. Are detailers recommending an additional clear coat on top of the factory coat? I would think that a good quality wax would suffice depending upon what the dealer prep left behind.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:43 PM

E450 Wagon, GLE350, S500
DadinWestcheste: From what I could research, I have absolutely no doubt that TOGWT is an automobile detailing expert. If you read his first response to me on this thread, he clearly recommends a UV protecting sealant like Opti Coat. I also spoke to several references and researched Garry Dean, the detailer TOGWT recommended. Just as a point of reference, although Garry knew TOGWT by his autopia handle and countless posts on detailing, I found out that TOGWT is not associated with Garry in any way. TOGWT's recommendation of the detailer, in my opnion, was totally unbiased. Garry checks out flawlessly and I trust him. Garry recommended Opti Coating the car. So my decision was really easy. I'm getting Opti Coat after Garry preps the car to get rid of whatever the factory and transport left me with. I've asked my dealer not even to wash the car when it comes off the truck (you can read about dealer prep problems in other threads on this forum too). The only decision I have not made is whether to use Expel PPF after the car is detailed.
If you have not read the link TOGWT posted on waxes and sealants in his response to me already, I highly recommend that you do so.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350,Ford Escape,Camry,C280
I have read all the links and responses. I just question putting sealant on sealant. MB already has a UV protected top coat. Probably the best available. It just seems strange to double coat factory paint. Good quality waxes already have UV protection also.....
Just sounds like a sales pitch.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:50 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
[Good quality waxes already have UV protection also..... Just sounds like a sales pitch]

Organic (Carnauba) waxes contrary to marketing myth; do not contain natural ultra violet protection, it must be added to the formulation

In the interest of full disclosure, I am in no way affiliated with, employed by, have any vested interest, or in any way receive compensation from the sale or distribution of any of the product lines reviewed or the company that manufactures or markets it. No endorsement of companies or their products mentioned is intended, nor is criticism implied of similar companies or their products if they are omitted.

As a detailer with five decades of experience I share the kowledge and experience gained by writing articles so others can learn from it. I do not nor have I ever sold detailing products (I'm a retired ChemE operations director for a major British oil campany.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:38 PM

E450 Wagon, GLE350, S500
I took delivery of a new Bluetec last week and decided that it would be the best opportunity to get see what "new car prep" really should be. 2 stage polish and opti coat per Garry Dean's recommendation. Will be bringing my other car's to Garry for similar treatment! Thanks again to TOGWT for the recommendation.
https://www.facebook.com/PremiumCust.../photos_stream