Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

MF glass towel leaves lint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-220CDI, VW Multivan 2.5TDI
Angry MF glass towel leaves lint

Hi,
a few months ago I bought a yellow MF towel for glas, can't remember the brand but it was recommended somewhere here. I machine washed it several times since then but it still leaves lint all over the glass when using it. I always have to whipe that off using a cotton towel.

Is that the way it is supposed to be? I have more work getting off the lint than cleaning the window. I was just thinking of throwing the MF towel away and go back to cotton only.

Thanks for your advice
Michael
Old 01-08-2004, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
When washing the MicroFiber towels, NEVER EVER wash them with something else. They will catch whatever there is.

I can almost bet you washed them with something else and not by themselves. I made that same mistake in the past myself.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:55 PM

HI,
thanks for your advice - but the first thing before using the microfiber stuff was... washing it alone! I put several microfiber things (washing cloth, towel, duster) in the machine and washed them - nothing else every touched them. I even bought a box just to store all this microfiber cleaning stuff - but it seems the towel is losing tons of little hairs.

Well - if it doesn't get better, I will throw it away and switch back to cotton.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
washing clothe, towel, duster? Are they ALL made of the same fabric?
Old 01-09-2004, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by The Doctor
washing clothe, towel, duster? Are they ALL made of the same fabric?
Yes they are - all microfiber stuff! Wasn't cheap but damn... can't remember the brand. Was recommended on this forum but I think I'm getting old.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have some microfiber towels which can't be used on the windows because they leave a coating of lint the same color as the towels. My big blue microfiber towels don't leave near as much, but there is a little lint. None of the microfiber towels have been washed or dryed with anything else.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by Lynn
I have some microfiber towels which can't be used on the windows because they leave a coating of lint the same color as the towels. My big blue microfiber towels don't leave near as much, but there is a little lint. None of the microfiber towels have been washed or dryed with anything else.
Great - so the microfiber special window high-tech very expensive towel thing is removing the dirt but leaves lint... great. I will just throw it away and stick to my nice cotton towels.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:15 PM

C230Kompressor
Originally posted by Mortenstein
Great - so the microfiber special window high-tech very expensive towel thing is removing the dirt but leaves lint... great. I will just throw it away and stick to my nice cotton towels.
I have the glass towels from Microfibertech, and they work just fine. Maybe you just got a bad one?
Old 01-10-2004, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport
I use microfiber towels on my windows and it leaves no lint as well...
Old 01-10-2004, 10:54 PM

Angry

HI,
I have a yellow microfiber glass towel and bought it at www.autogeek.net ! I think (not sure) it is made by Pinnacle. Well, maybe I'll try one of these Microfobertech towels and see what thay do...
Old 01-11-2004, 11:54 AM

Black C 240
Use old newspaper to clean your windows...no lint and its are free.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by jbcritch
Use old newspaper to clean your windows...no lint and its are free.
Are you kidding?? Old newspaper

What about the ink? Doesn't it streak?
Old 01-11-2004, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by Mortenstein
Are you kidding?? Old newspaper

What about the ink? Doesn't it streak?
newspaper doesnt streak... I would try drying them on very low heat just to removed the lint.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:48 PM

02 C32
I use newspaper & a waterdowned solution of Windex.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:20 AM

Black C 240
no problems w/ newspaper streaking - and ink would only be a problem if you were to rub your dash down with it. I have never had ink get onto any surface on any car I have owned.....great stuff....try it!
JBC
Old 01-13-2004, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport
newspaper is actually very good for cleaning windows...
Old 07-09-2004, 11:26 AM

Newspaper vs. Microfiber

The ink in the newspaper actually acts as a polisher, which is why newspaper is better to use than any other paper product. I still use microfiber though for the inside windows since I heard that newspaper can put fine scratches on the blue coating that's on a MB. I don't use normal microfiber, which does leave lint. I use needle punch microfiber, which is specifically designed for windows and chrome.

Whatever you do, don't use windex on the interior glass (it should be okay for the exterior, though). The ammonia will strip the blue coating. Use only a glass cleaner w/o ammonia on the inside.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:55 PM

2004 E500
I've always used 100% cotton terrycloth towels in a bucket of water as hot as my hands can stand it (I use rubber kitchen gloves so I can tolerate hotter water). Then, dry with a dry, clean terrycloth towel. No streaks and no residue. The windows will gleam.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by BoSoxFan
I've always used 100% cotton terrycloth towels in a bucket of water as hot as my hands can stand it (I use rubber kitchen gloves so I can tolerate hotter water). Then, dry with a dry, clean terrycloth towel. No streaks and no residue. The windows will gleam.
Yeah... I hear you! I just got cought by that Microfiber hype! But after using super secret tricks to keep that yellow lint from messing up everything the microwhatsoevertooexpensivetowel touched I also went back to the good old traditional cotton towel.

I also sometimes use white vinegar on the outside to get rid of the water stains. Here in El Paso the water dries even before it hits the car, so there are always water stains on the glass
Old 08-03-2004, 11:45 AM

Arrow Cotton vs. Microfiber

I do the hot water trick as well. Out of curiosity, I washed my windshield yesterday with a high-quality cotton terry cloth, my side windows with newspaper, and the back window with needle punch microfiber (the 100% cotton DF Concourse type). I set the car out in the sunshine and did a walk around. Results:
1. 100% cotton needle punch microfiber had the back window looking like a well-polished diamond!
2. The newspaper was a close second, and the side windows gleamed (although my hands had some ink stains on them)
3. The front windsheild was pretty good, but didn't gleam quite as much. I looked at it with a magnifying glass and realized small, almost microscopic pieces of lint were left on the glass. I redid the front windshield with the microfiber

In conclusion: Yes, the microfiber is expensive (although, I got my needle-punches for free from my generous next-door neighbor ) but it really did a superior job. If you don't want to spend the money, use your sunday newspaper and keep your ink-stained paws off the leather seats!
Old 08-03-2004, 02:18 PM

Hi,
last weekend I bought a large pack so called microfiber towels at SAM's Club. Same "problems". Overall the result is ok, but the little yellow fiber stuff that sticks to the glass

I have to get one of these needle whatsoever towels and see if that works as promised.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
If you are going to buy replacement Microfiber I’d suggest Autopia or 100% cotton DF Towels

~Hope this helps~