Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Meguires NXT wax (product review)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2004 | 07:56 PM

Meguires NXT wax (product review)

Gotta give props to the guys who formulated this stuff! I like the idea of waxing cars, I like the results. I even get motivated and psyched up to do it. After the hood and maybe one side get a coat of wax, I am exhausted and wonder why I started in the first place. Then there is the inevitable missed spot, and then you have to take it all off. Rub until your arm wants to fall off, carpal tunnel sets in, and writer's cramp too. Then you still have 2/3 of the car to go. Wax is hard to buff off!
So I dropped like $14 on this bottle of Meguires NXT wax. I have been using Gold Class until now, which I like the shine of, I just don't feel it protects well enough or lasts very long at all.
I washed my ML with my trusty lambs wool mitt and my Mr. Clean auto dry. Notice I didn't have to dry it??? Rims with Meguires wheel cleaner and a separate lambs wool mitt, which has turned black now.
Ok I get out the wax and fancy applicator. Smells different than normal wax, shake well, put some on applicator, apply to finish in circular motion. Goes on as any other liquid wax. I waxed the whole car, and by the time I am done applying it the first areas have hazed and its time to buff off. I get my 100% cotton terry and start wiping. I almost slid over the hood. You could throw a towel at the finish, and the wax comes right off. No rubbing, no buffing. It comes off easier than it goes on!!!! I am starting to like this, because removing the wax is the most painful part of waxing to me. I have the whole truck done quickly, and after a while longer, the finish has that nice touch that when you put the back of your hand to it, it just glides over the surface. It looks incredibly shiny. The paint looks wet... like a show car. I am very impressed and so far I will recommend it with flying colors. Time will tell how well it holds up, but the shine and ease of application has completely won me over.
Old 07-27-2004 | 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
I will SO back you up on this claim. I just used NXT about three weeks ago and it's some awesome stuff. I am the EXACT same way your are about waxing and I was excited to try this, even though knew how I'd be after about 1/2 the car. Much to my surprise it was almost effortless. I would do it again with pleasure. I didn't even get tennis elbow from dong it. I cleaned the car really good before hand at the local-do-it yourself car wash with my wash mit, I never EVER touch their brush. I went home and clayed the car with Zaino and then rewashed it really quickly. After that I pulled out the applicator expecting to go through about 5 of them beofore I was done, but the car was SO clean from the Zaino, I only needed 2. It left a fresh from the detailer's shine and slick too. It also reduced the appearance of the swirl marks in my paint (put there by the previous owners). Just had an abnormal rash of rain come through West Texas and the stuff beeded up and fell off like no other. Good stuff.

Last edited by davis449; 07-27-2004 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-12-2004 | 01:57 PM

C
Where can you purchase this stuff. Thanks
Old 08-12-2004 | 02:07 PM

2004 E500
Any car parts store -- AutoZone and Advance Auto both carry it around here in Virginia. I've also had good results with NXT. Every couple of weeks, I use the NXT Spray Wax as a booster to maintain the finish of the original coat of wax.
Old 08-12-2004 | 02:12 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 C280
Best deal I've seen is Walmart. $13.86.

BTW Target has a sale on Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Wipes for $3.99.
Old 08-15-2004 | 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 E55 AMG
I'm getting this!!!
Old 08-15-2004 | 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
I have been less than impressed with the durability of this product. Doesn't last longer than 2 weeks for me...
Old 08-15-2004 | 07:33 PM

Don't forget to put a layer of NXT Booster as the end-product. That will realy make your car shine!
Old 08-15-2004 | 07:51 PM

C
Thanks for your help
Old 08-19-2004 | 04:55 PM
Almost a Member!

after reading about this stuff for months on this forum i decided to get some today and try it out on my mom's 300d. Stuff is incredible, i love the way the water beads up and rolls of.
Old 09-06-2004 | 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
Great stuff and it smells good!!! My car is garaged 90% of the time and since I live in San Diego where rain rarely exists, durability isn't a big issue.
Old 09-06-2004 | 09:38 PM

Does anyone know any long term durability of this product? I currently use Klasse which lasts for months on my daily driven car, but I am looking for something to top it that adds some slickness and water beading.
Old 09-15-2004 | 01:18 PM

03 R230 SL55 / 94 W124 E500
I used millions of waxs , i have never seen such a great product.
1- easy to remove ( just like washing your car)
2- removes swirl marks
3- As far durbality , it will stay longer than any other product.

Thanks to Mequire's engineering two thumbs up
Old 09-20-2004 | 08:24 PM

2000 E320
I just used this on my E and have to agree with many of the comments here. This is good stuff. I don't know if it will stay longer than any other product, but it does seem to be holding well after two weeks.
Old 11-03-2004 | 06:31 PM

Finally got off my butt and waxed it again... Wash with my Mr. clean autodry and waxed with NXT. Funny thing is... I didn't need to clean the paint, or clay or anything. Still smooth as new. I was impressed, not to mention it was very easy to wax! I leave this vehicle outside 100% of the time as I do not have a garage. Rain, heat, dust, whatever. Gets washed when I get to it. I really like how NXT has protected the paint so far.
Old 11-17-2004 | 03:15 PM

Mercedes Benz
Ditto, I've been waxing all my cars at least once a week now, and absolutely love this stuff. If fact, I waxed the E today =)
Old 11-19-2004 | 10:03 AM
taylor192

Originally Posted by AlBoston
I have been less than impressed with the durability of this product. Doesn't last longer than 2 weeks for me...
2 months and it still beads better than the Rain-X I apply to my windows.

To all those impressed with NXT, get a polisher/buffer, you'll be even more impressed. I had been hand waxing with Gold class, and always liked the shine, yet on a silver car its hard to see that 'mirror' finish. I bought the PC polisher and NXT wax at the same time and after the first use I will never go back. The polisher cut waxing time in 1/2, and did a much better job.

2 months ago, before it started to get cold I applied 2 layers of NXT. It still beads today (its raining) and I won't wax again until there's a warm day, or I can get into a garage, so I'll post again with how long the wax actually lasts.
Old 11-19-2004 | 08:59 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Taylor this is off topic but were you one of the guys that tried or inquired about changing the interior lighting to blue from amber? If so PM me with the details etc.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2004 | 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
RJC, it isnt too bad of a project... I am planning on doing something similar to the BMW. Dismantling the radio and climate control units and getting them back together will be the most difficult part.