Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Nanotech Paint.... do I need to use a special wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 02:33 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nanotech Paint.... do I need to use a special wax?

So, I think i just learned from another forum that my Black '05 c230 SS has the new nanotech paint. Is there a special type of was to use or a certain kind of was not to use. Attached is my car after I washed it the first time... I want to keep the black looking that way.
Thanks
Old 08-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Sorry ... here is the pic

Attached Thumbnails Nanotech Paint.... do I need to use a special wax?-benz-002_compressed.jpg  
Old 08-04-2004, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
how did you wash it? I hope you followed the wash technique posted in the forum. Nano paint still can swirl, its not perfect. I would recommend a wax, I prefer Zaino bros. Use proper towels (as listed in this forum) and make sure you do infact have nano paint. Your paint code MUST read "C040" if it is just "040" then you do not have nano paint.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:11 PM
Almost a Member!

where do i read the paint type from?
Old 08-04-2004, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
open drivers door, look on b pillar, u should see a black sticker. Bottom right corner of the sticker will say the paint code. Black = 040 NANO black = C040
Old 08-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by AlBoston
how did you wash it? I hope you followed the wash technique posted in the forum. Nano paint still can swirl, its not perfect. I would recommend a wax, I prefer Zaino bros. Use proper towels (as listed in this forum) and make sure you do infact have nano paint. Your paint code MUST read "C040" if it is just "040" then you do not have nano paint.

I have a brand new chanelle(sp?) hand-mit and 2 buckets... one to rinse and one to soap... i rinsed after each time washing about half a panel and I stayed away from the wheel wells and the very bottom of the car. i used a leather chamei (sp?) to dry... i think it came out fine... no swirl marks i could see.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

Scratch Resistant Clear Coat:
Mercedes-Benz has developed an innovative new clear lacquer paint technology; first used on their Maybach model this Ceramic Crystal clear coat incorporates microscopic ceramic nano-particles in a clear urethane lacquer.

The clear coat is factory applied and then `baked' in a high-temperature drying oven forming a hard scratch and fade resistant finish. This paintwork system significantly improves surface gloss over conventional clear coats.

It is also provides better protection from the necessary automatic car-washing, and concentrated detergents used, as it's illegal to wash your vehicle and allow water to flow to a storm-drain in Germany due to environmental regulations.

Paint film surface maintenance is the same as for other systems, removing surface defects entails limited and controlled clear coat removal.

~ Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
Old 08-05-2004, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Just because it's got nanotech paint doesn't mean you can abuse it with rags and get away with not having swirls. Follow the directions AlBoston gave and you'll have a swirlfree car.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:07 PM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
Agreed with everyone here, process should not change. Proper wash, dry, etc technique is still very important. As for a special wax, no, there is no special wax for nano paint. You can use zaino, klasse, blackfire, pinnacle, p21s, etc, etc. If you need to buff out swirl marks, then you *may*(no one knows yet for sure) require a nano specific polish. But with proer technique and tools you won;t have to worry abou that.

David.