Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

e320 cdi starting problems... had to be towed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 01:54 AM
IllCDI

e320 cdi starting problems... had to be towed

Last night I ended up parking my e320 cdi outside in my driveway, woke up this morning and went to start it... nothing. The motor kept cranking but would not start. At this point I was getting real late for work and ended up taking my other car to work while calling MB to tow my car from the driveway and figure out what the problem was. I got a call later in the day and the SA tells me that I have a fuel leak at the injection pump, looks like those 10 cent crush washers leak like the old w210 diesels. Scary part is I know it will happen again in oh lets say 3 years and by that time I will be well out of warranty, im sure it will cost well over a grand in labor to replace those 10 cent washers.....Keep an eye on your car if it runs a little rough on start up, mine ran a little rough a couple days ago I thought nothing of it...
Old 12-17-2005, 12:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
How many miles on your car, and what build date?

There have already been some revisions to the fuel system in US cars.

I found out when I bought a fuel filter, the parts manager at my dealer had a heck of a time trying to determine which filter I have. Apparently, there have been 3 separate part numbers just for 2005 models. Something definitely up with the fuel system, have noticed other MB World posts regarding CDI fuel leakage.

Ill CDI, hope the namesake doesn't hold true too often!
Old 12-19-2005, 02:02 PM
IllCDI

So I got my car back today from the dealer and it was filthy inside, the seats were REAL DIRTY, I asked my Service Advisor about it, and he had the guts to tell me that it was like that when I brought it in. Anyway to make a long story short, he agreed to detail the car... I am hoping that I have trouble free driving from now on, it looks like I will either sell the car in the near future or purchase the 4000 dollar extended warranty if I plan on keeping it.

After driving my w123 for the past week (the dealer that is closest to my house, doesnt give loaners unless you buy the car from them), I have to say I kinda miss the "diesel" character that is missing from my CDI, it drives like a gas car. A lot of people might say thats a good thing but I really like the diesel clatter that differentiates diesels from their gas equivalents.

With SBC I have to recalibrate my hand and eye coordination to work with SBC, its just not linear which is real annoying, especially after driving another car. I miss the days when Mercedes kept it simple now with all these complexities and the potential for so many things to go wrong these cars are not 250k mile cars probably not even 100k mile cars.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Dirty seats.....

My dealer pigged out my car, greased the Ash colored door thresholds, the inside "A" pillars, and sun visors.

As in your case, they gave me the "shrug" said I must have done it....OK, whatever.

I have my car for a year without greaseballing it and they have it for 3 hours and its a sty. Not acceptable.

The car is handled several times each visit, Valet, Mechanic, and wash bay. Too many different people handling the car IMO.

PS if you miss the clatter, just remove the engine covers and hood blanket. Even the oil pan is wrapped in sound deadening insulation. You could remove all these parts, then re-install them when you sell the car, and the engine will look showroom new, adding $ to the price you fetch for it used.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:03 PM
IllCDI

MB Dealers are horrible I have a good indy that does work on most of my cars (he even washes them), im going to start taking the cdi to him even if its under warranty as I would rather pay and have better quality work than go back to the dealer and put up with this fingerpointing BS. Anyway I decided to park the CDI for a while, and drive the w123 a little more often, might as well save some money with the SVO kit I had installed.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 CDI, W203, 03 Dodge CTD
Who's the best in the northern Virginia area?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
I had a fuel leak on my 220CDI too, new injection pump 1000€, but under warranty...
In diesels, Audi is the best, no diesel engine is like a TDI, but MB engines are a lot smoother and have more torque :p
Old 01-23-2006, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
I raised HELL when I got my car back with a greasy hand print on the leather of the steering wheel, and on the door panel. Furthermore the door sills which I keep spotless, were scuffed..

Suffice it to say, the dealer "completely understands" me now and when I go in, it get the white glove treatment.. and I get it placed in the number 1 bay where I can watch it being worked on.

I also have a standing order NOT TO WASH it with their cheap *** tunnel wash.

I really hate the way Mercedes Dealers are no better than Chevy or Dodge counterparts. I envy the Lexus guys with their "luxury brand" treatment.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
Great way to "invite" the Lexus trolls
SSW
Old 01-25-2006, 09:43 PM
IllCDI

hahaa ce750 does have a point though... whenever I take my vehicle to the Lexus dealer they treat me like a king. They give a loaner (many times a brand new car) that is pretty well optioned. At the Lexus dealer I go to they have free wifi, free massages, and will even take you to and pay for a movie if the repair is 3 hours or less. At the Mercedes Dealer I get to hang out with pompous salesmen, who give me dirty looks as they pace back and forth from the service area to the showroom floor. I have to plead with my SA to look at my car, and to get a shuttle ride home, its like its my fault that my car has so many problems.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by IllCDI
hahaa ce750 does have a point though... whenever I take my vehicle to the Lexus dealer they treat me like a king. They give a loaner (many times a brand new car) that is pretty well optioned. At the Lexus dealer I go to they have free wifi, free massages, and will even take you to and pay for a movie if the repair is 3 hours or less. At the Mercedes Dealer I get to hang out with pompous salesmen, who give me dirty looks as they pace back and forth from the service area to the showroom floor. I have to plead with my SA to look at my car, and to get a shuttle ride home, its like its my fault that my car has so many problems.

Which would be unacceptable at a Chevy dealer, much less Mercedes.

Sorry HOH... that's one I'm not let'n slide.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:04 PM
rjm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple
Originally Posted by CE750
I really hate the way Mercedes Dealers are no better than Chevy or Dodge counterparts. I envy the Lexus guys with their "luxury brand" treatment.
Sam, as you know I have had experience with both dealers. I will say up front that my Mercedes service from Park Place Mercedes in Hurst, TX was the BEST service I have ever received in 50 years of driving. Their main concern was always that "the customer was happy." My Service Advisor was simply EXCELLENT. I have had very little experience with my Lexus service because I have only been in for routine oil changes. I have had no mechanical issues with the car. Their service and waiting areas areas are immaculate however, with free drinks, donuts, and cookies, internet service (computers are provided) and other ammenities. I hope I never have to use their service for a mechanical issue, but due to the nature of the beasts, I'm sure I eventually will have to use them. It surprises me that so many on this forum complain about the quality of their dealership service and service advisors....my experience with MB service was excellent.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'll say this about Schumacher here in Scottsdale, .. maybe it's because I'm a squeaky wheel or something, but I'm having great service from them lately..

Came in for a few minor warranty issues, and treated like a King.. including the free Krispe Kream, Star Bucks coffee, and Free Internet, etc.. And their facility, along with Chandler Mercedes is a $40M state of the art buildiing, so the problem wasn't so much facility as it was service advisors.. But they've since fired a few, including the guy who short changed my oil change.. Now my service advisor Mike Stoops is the best service advisor I've ever had in all the years of owning cars.

Schumacher has issues, but in so far as I'm concerned, a lot of it is customers that don't expect more.. and just settle for less.

Last edited by CE750; 07-10-2006 at 01:30 PM.