Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carlsson C-Tronic CD32 installed into my CDI...OMFG!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 CDI, W203, 03 Dodge CTD
Also, how is the transmission holding up after a year of fueling enhancement?
Old 01-15-2007, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
The best branded chip is the Carlsson, much more high-tech, and 2 things why its the n.1 in Germany:

1-cold start up security (until 65ºC it runs a safe mode to protect the turbo and engine for runing hard)
2-just plug and play directly to the ECU (any one can do it, no cuting wires, I installed mine in 1m and I can also borrow (or rent it) it to my friends

If you can, go for Carlsson

PS: with my factory 220CDI with 143Hp and 315Nm (now with CD22 170Hp and 390Nm) I can keep up with those E320CDI at ease
So much better car now

Last edited by gaiex; 01-15-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:24 PM

If a chip can be re-programmed to give better hp without damaging the engine, why don't manufacturers do it?
Old 01-16-2007, 03:06 PM

e300d
Originally Posted by mercara
If a chip can be re-programmed to give better hp without damaging the engine, why don't manufacturers do it?
Emissions compliance and long-term reliability.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Trans holding up fine

Rear tires, not holding up as well. About to go on my third set in 22K miles.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
damn, I need to drive mine harder. I am at 25K miles and on my first set
Old 02-06-2007, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
CDi

Originally Posted by KosherBenz
damn, I need to drive mine harder. I am at 25K miles and on my first set
Kosher,

My E-Bay tire-wheel package arrived but I have only opened one. Perfection. I would definitely recommend him if the other 3 are just as good. They look enormous and I hope they will not affect the speedo reading.

The CDi has arrived in the pound awaiting delivery to the garage. With some luck I shall be driving my new baby before Friday. I shall post some photos.

Next step is to get a Kleemann or Carlsson tuning box.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
best of luck however you go in tuning boxes.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am thinking of going Carlsson though the 2006 tuning box (different from the 2005 one) is not available in Carlsson USA until April 2007. One thing is sure, those CLS wheels are great looking.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

\

Kosher,

Tried to post a photo of my baby on Friday but was unsuccessful. Ditto today. I wonder why?
Old 02-10-2007, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sweet smell of burning diesel but no black smoke

Originally Posted by cdiken
Just amazing what a simple software upgrade can do.

My CDI is getting 3-4 MPG more, around town, and I'm not exactly trying to go easy on it with my new mod.

That's the desert. The main course is TORQUE!

The motor is extremely eager. Stepping off a light at 1/4 throttle it now feels like a Jetliner when initial thrust is applied. You can feel the driveline tense up as power in advanced, and the car yanked into motion.

I don't have baseline or actual numbers on acceleration, but definitely a different animal. Breaks traction, without trying, needs a limited slip differential.

The most enjoyable aspect is accelerating on uphill runs, the motor is just so eager it feels like it should have more work to do than just drag a little 4,000 lb car around. It wants to truck!
Ken,

Thanks for the Carlssson contact info. The guy told me 2006 boxes are different from 2005 ones and not available until April 2007. He is the most knowledgeable and cheapest. Meanwhile I am enjoying the straight six ratta ta ta ta ta ta every day. No smoke. Just the sweet smell of Sunoco Gold Diesel.

I tried 2 days in a row to post some photos without success. I shall try again next week.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Kosh,

I measured the wheel-tire package. No problemo! I am the doubting Thomas but you were right. Cannot wait till spring when I can put these on. My baby is Iridium Silver.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
email the pics to evancohen@gmail.com

Ill post them for ya.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
Harkgar, here they are resized for ya!
Attached Thumbnails Carlsson C-Tronic CD32 installed into my CDI...OMFG!!!-img_0071.jpg   Carlsson C-Tronic CD32 installed into my CDI...OMFG!!!-img_0072.jpg  
Old 02-14-2007, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks Kosh!

Harkgar, here they are resized for ya!
I thought may be you did not receive the shots or could not re-size them. Right now the CDi has my old AMG replica wheels on with snows, 235/45/17 all round which are essential at this time of year in Toronto.

I had another look at those CLS take offs and the rears are so big. They remind me of the wheels of a 1996 Corvette (gymkarna package) I had. The tires are so fat they can stand on their own. They are gorgeous.

The only 2 things I find unusual about this model are the front heavy feel and the funny electronic braking. Overall no complaints at all. Love the sweet smell of burning diesel.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E320 CDi

Originally Posted by cdiken
Jimbo: Cost, about $1600, bought directly from Carlsson North America. Link there site from the .de site, you can click on www.carlsson.de and follow to the North America site.

I installed it myself in less than 1 hour, it slides into a special tray near the ECU, and truly is plug-and-play. It could be removed just as quick.

If you PM me I will forward the North America director's contact info to you, he is very knowlegeable. You can get it from other outfits, like Carlson Products USA in Texas, but I wouldn't advise it, they don't return calls or email even with a potential puchase dangled in front of them.

I was assured that rail pressure is not the means of power gain, which is exactly why I did not go with one of the cheaper options that solders a chip into your ECU. The added power is only available with the motor at full operating temperature.

There are dyno charts supplied with my literature, they indicate torque is peak at 2200 RPM approx, and HP peaks just over 4000 or so. The chart shows a huge torque gain at 2200, and then much meatier torque all the way though 4000. HP is a straight line up to 4200 whereas stock starts to go limp at 3500.

Cannot be sure of mileage without a longer test period, will check it over time and keep you posted. The dash cluster is telling me 28-30 MPG for most around-town runs, whereas I was looking at typically 24-26 MPG around town previously.
I have done a full tank of diesel (Sunoco Gold, high cetane stuff) and got 24 mpg. The car has 8,300 km (5,000 miles).

The torque is quite amazing even bone stock. Breaks traction easily now in the cold winter when I hit the go pedal too hard. I wonder if the Carlsson box is too much? If 369 lb ft give wheelspins I would be smoking the tires all day long with 425 lb ft and can no longer afford new rear tires every month.

I love the car. It is definitely the best value in the W211 series. The E63 costs twice as much but only 50% better.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:34 AM

CDIKen, could you send me the info about where you purchased the kit? The Carlsson site crashes when you try to get the NA distributors. The places I've found on the web seem much more expensive than what's been stated around here.

Also, any issues with the dealership or warranty issues?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-24-2007, 02:15 AM

I started a post a week ago about the Kleeman KD6 chip after reading a positive write-up in the February issue of the magazine Mercedes Enthsusiast. I asked various questions about the Kleeman chip regarding suppliers, warranty issues, etc. and only received a private email from a Canadian supplier who kindly sent me a PDF of the installation instructions and a price. Installation of the Kleeman KD6 is very easy and the Carlsson unit appears to be the same.

I am trying to find out about the Carlsson chip, which is double the price, vs the Kleeman chip and how they work. I know the Kleeman chip is looped through the fuel rail circiutry and appears to change the timing of the fuel injectors as well as the rail pressure although some contributors claim the rail pressure is not changed by the KD6. There is the increase of exhaust smoke issue which I am not to keen on as some are with the Kleeman chip.

I have gleaned from this thread that the Carlsson chip, which is plugged directly into the ECU, does not alter fuel pressure, but because of greater computing capacity, uses a more sophisticated method to increase power.
It apparently does not allow full power operation until the engine reaches proper running temperature.

As requested by Traumatic, I would be interested in receiving further details about the Carlsson chip and a supplier that can be directly communicated with to find more about the April release of the new chip.

I checked with the local MB dealer about the warranty issues with these upgrades and was advised the factory warranty could be compromised. I guess before servicing these units would have to be removed although I wonder if the prior use of a chip can be detected by downloading the memory of ECU even if the unit is removed?

J. Alan
Old 03-24-2007, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
i know with the kleemann i have brought it to the dealer and they have tried to locate it via their computer but they could not see it. Afterwards the head mechanic asked me to show him what i did to my car. I showed it to him and he was amazed the computer did not pick it up.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:01 PM

KosherBenz;

Perhaps because the Kleeman chip is downstream from the ECU it is not picked up by the computer. I wonder if the Carlsson unit is also invisible as it plugs directly into the ECU and might leave a footprint that can be detected.

Regarding your Kleeman install - do you see more exhaust smoke as some on this forum have mentioned? Has the unit triggered any warning lights and does the engine run as smoothly as stock? Plenty of additional power ? Milage suffering? Any additional comments are appreciated.

Incidently, I installed the CLS 500 wheels with the Michelin Pilots last week. I am very happy with the superior cornering, quietness, and the great looks. The off-set does not bother me. I have a Jaguar S Type R with stock 18" wheels and Continentals and the rear tires stick out of the fenders wells except at the very top just like my E320 CDI with the Michelins.

Hoopla!!

J. Alan
Old 03-25-2007, 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Kosher started a trend

Originally Posted by J. Alan
KosherBenz;

Perhaps because the Kleeman chip is downstream from the ECU it is not picked up by the computer. I wonder if the Carlsson unit is also invisible as it plugs directly into the ECU and might leave a footprint that can be detected.

Regarding your Kleeman install - do you see more exhaust smoke as some on this forum have mentioned? Has the unit triggered any warning lights and does the engine run as smoothly as stock? Plenty of additional power ? Milage suffering? Any additional comments are appreciated.

Incidently, I installed the CLS 500 wheels with the Michelin Pilots last week. I am very happy with the superior cornering, quietness, and the great looks. The off-set does not bother me. I have a Jaguar S Type R with stock 18" wheels and Continentals and the rear tires stick out of the fenders wells except at the very top just like my E320 CDI with the Michelins.

Hoopla!!

J. Alan
Big fat CLS 18 inchers.
Kleemann KD tuning box.

Where are you located J Alan?
Old 03-25-2007, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i know with the kleemann i have brought it to the dealer and they have tried to locate it via their computer but they could not see it. Afterwards the head mechanic asked me to show him what i did to my car. I showed it to him and he was amazed the computer did not pick it up.
I had looked at a photo of a Kleemann box and it seems to have a lot of leads presumably plugging into the injectors.

The Carlsson box is a plug and play with 2 leads. Less to go wrong?

There is a Kleeman agent in Toronto, Oakridge Autos in Oakville but no Carlsson ones.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!

install of the KD box took less than a hour and would be the same to deinstall it. There is some smoke under hard acceleration, but then again.. This is a diesel. I didnt compare it prior to install so i dont know if it more "smoke" than before the install. Noticed a increase of 1-2 mpg after install and quite a large incease in power. More than i expected.

J. Alan, post pics of ur car!
Old 03-25-2007, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
I've had good luck with my Renntech mod, but it seems my milage didn't improve like on the Carlsson.. Anyone know if there has since been an update on the Renntech for the 3.2L I6?

btw.. I ran a 14.91 with it last year at Thunderbird.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:00 PM

Harkgar;

I live in Kelowna, B.C. I did try to contact you through the link in the profile window but I guess my email ended up in cyberspace as I have had no response from you. I have been in touch with a Mike at the company you mentioned in your post and he sent me a PDF on the installation of the Kleeman with color pictures - it looks pretty basic to install.

I am getting a lot of my questions answered by you and KosherBenz as both of you are running the Kleeman chip while others are running the Carlsson (seems to be hard to nail down a N.A. distributor address and phone number) and now CE750 is providing info about his Renntech chip. The price quoted for the Kleeman was $825.00 U.S. which is converted into Canadian dollars the day you order it. Other costs are import duties and shipping. My local dealer here read me the riot act about chipping concerning the warranty, yet others have advised (including Mike who says their preformance business is located across the street from a Benz dealer) their dealers have no problem with the upgrade. I guess if I go ahead with a chip purchase, I will just have to remove it before any service is performed on my CDI.

KosherBenz - I am a bit computer ignorant when it comes to posting pictures on a forum. Just imagine the same car as yours with the same wheels, except my car color is Pewter. Maybe you can do the color change of your photo and post it!!

Keep the comments coming, guys!

J. Alan

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carlsson C-Tronic CD32 installed into my CDI...OMFG!!!