Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carlsson C-Tronic CD32 installed into my CDI...OMFG!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its big and Grey!
email it to me, ill host it and post it up for you. evancohen@gmail.com
Old 03-25-2007, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the photo posting offer KosherBenz! The wife is the principal driver (she's in real estate) and I had a look at it this morning and it needs a bath!!

I will wash it up tonight and take some photos tomorrow and send you the file. Pick the one you like!! It would be cool if I post my messages with the same header picture you have - twins of a different color!!

Thanks again,

J. Alan
Old 03-26-2007, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
no tuning box yet

Originally Posted by J. Alan
Harkgar;

I live in Kelowna, B.C. I did try to contact you through the link in the profile window but I guess my email ended up in cyberspace as I have had no response from you. I have been in touch with a Mike at the company you mentioned in your post and he sent me a PDF on the installation of the Kleeman with color pictures - it looks pretty basic to install.

I am getting a lot of my questions answered by you and KosherBenz as both of you are running the Kleeman chip while others are running the Carlsson (seems to be hard to nail down a N.A. distributor address and phone number) and now CE750 is providing info about his Renntech chip. The price quoted for the Kleeman was $825.00 U.S. which is converted into Canadian dollars the day you order it. Other costs are import duties and shipping. My local dealer here read me the riot act about chipping concerning the warranty, yet others have advised (including Mike who says their preformance business is located across the street from a Benz dealer) their dealers have no problem with the upgrade. I guess if I go ahead with a chip purchase, I will just have to remove it before any service is performed on my CDI.

KosherBenz - I am a bit computer ignorant when it comes to posting pictures on a forum. Just imagine the same car as yours with the same wheels, except my car color is Pewter. Maybe you can do the color change of your photo and post it!!

Keep the comments coming, guys!

J. Alan
My car just crossed the 10,000 km mark this weekend and I am getting best 7.1 liter/100 km and worse 13.5 liter/100 km. The torque is fine though traffic light grand prix is not one of its strengths.

I worry about the Kleemann box because of the 6 connections. The Carlsson one has 2 terminals (goes in near the brake booster area) I think and de-installation would probably be easier. For that reason I would buy the Carlsson. If there is a warranty issue off it comes.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:45 PM

I take it harkgar that you are not entirely happy with your Kleeman chip. I have talked to the Carlsson rep in Florida (the U.S. distributor) who informed me a new chip has been developed for the inline 6 as Benz changed the ECU program for 2006 and this chip will be available in April or May at a price of around $2,100 USD. Ouch!! He claims the chip conforms to stringent European regs regarding pollution. He also mentioned one is being developed for the V-6 Bluertech. I enquired about the parameters regarding how the chip works - change of fuel rail pressure - revised fuel injection timing, etc. but he was unable to supply any answers.

I think I will wait until the revised Carlsson chip is available and make a decision then. For the extra money, it better be good!

J. Alan
Old 03-26-2007, 02:26 PM

KosherBenz;

I have forwarded a picture of my 2006 E320 CDI as requested. It is a very big file for best resolution. Please post it - a set-up like yours would be great!

Many thanks for your help!

J, Alan
Old 03-27-2007, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
KosherBenz;

I have forwarded a picture of my 2006 E320 CDI as requested. It is a very big file for best resolution. Please post it - a set-up like yours would be great!

Many thanks for your help!

J, Alan
here is the edited full size pic of your car.....

and here is one you can add to your signature under userCP

for to usercp type in [img]****[/img]

in the spot of **** insert this link

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/277/3408/155656.jpg

then you will have a sig pic like mine.

P.S. Ur car is dead sexy!
Old 03-31-2007, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hi Kosh

Originally Posted by KosherBenz

install of the KD box took less than a hour and would be the same to deinstall it. There is some smoke under hard acceleration, but then again.. This is a diesel. I didnt compare it prior to install so i dont know if it more "smoke" than before the install. Noticed a increase of 1-2 mpg after install and quite a large incease in power. More than i expected.

J. Alan, post pics of ur car!
I put on the CLS tire package and MB block heater today. Wunderbar or whatever it is in German. The car is looking like a E55 now. Can you please post new photos for me Kosh if I E-mail them to you?

During installation of the ties I looked under the car and am really pleased to report that the 2006 CDi exhaust system is impeccable. In fact I doubt if any after market vendor can improve on the MB system. Straight through. Large diameter. No kinks. Perfection.

I have to trade in my 1986 560 SEL soon. I can now concentrate on my new baby CDi.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Kleemann tuning box photos?

Kosh when you have time would you take some photos of your Kleemann setup and post it? Alternatley you can send it to my private address. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Any exhaust mods for an 05 or 06 CDI?

I've owned gasser and Diesel force inducted engines and know if the downpipe and exhaust are made larger there also an increase in power or at the least the torque goes max a couple of hundred RPM faster.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the only thing you can do is to chop the 2 mufflers

Originally Posted by erh7771
Any exhaust mods for an 05 or 06 CDI?

I've owned gasser and Diesel force inducted engines and know if the downpipe and exhaust are made larger there also an increase in power or at the least the torque goes max a couple of hundred RPM faster.
As I said earlier the MB system is perfect. Apart from the catalytic converter everything else is straight through. Top quality materials. You will see what I am saying when Kosher posts the photos.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

assuming Kosher will post my photos

Kosher said nothing about posting so you can only see the photos if he agrees to post them
Old 04-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by harkgar
As I said earlier the MB system is perfect. Apart from the catalytic converter everything else is straight through. Top quality materials. You will see what I am saying when Kosher posts the photos.
I read the part about large diameter but how large? 2.5" 3.5" from turbo back?

The difference between a 2.5" turbo back and a 3.0" turbo back is noticible on a number of forced induction engines.

What's the downpipe look like?

On the 99 300D the exhaust didn't look over 2.5"

Thanx in advance
Old 04-02-2007, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

size & thickness matter, a lot

Originally Posted by erh7771
I read the part about large diameter but how large? 2.5" 3.5" from turbo back?

The difference between a 2.5" turbo back and a 3.0" turbo back is noticible on a number of forced induction engines.

What's the downpipe look like?

On the 99 300D the exhaust didn't look over 2.5"

Thanx in advance
I shall send the photos to Kosher tomorrow. Part of the exhaust (just after the catalyst) looks over 3 inches. You can guess for yourself. I shall measure the pipes at the next oil change.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
no pics recieved...

As for my setup, my digital camera is down right now, damn...
Old 04-06-2007, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

did you get my photos Kosh?

no pics recieved...

As for my setup, my digital camera is down right now, damn...
If not I can send them again.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by harkgar
If not I can send them again.
cool!
Old 04-07-2007, 06:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
sorry for the delay!!!

Old 04-07-2007, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Kosh!

The big guy putting the wheels on is Rocco. He is my baby diesel's pediatrician.

The MB exhaust system is very good and leaves little room for aftermarket improvement. One cat. Two mufflers at the very end of the system. No other emission or noise abatement junk. Perfect.

The Bluetecs are choked with 4 filters. 3 cats. One particulate filter. Presumably 2 mufflers. Think of replacement costs and check engine lights in a few years time.

$5,000.00?
Old 04-07-2007, 01:12 PM

Another great job by KosherBenz, our E320 CDI picture posting guru!! It is spring in my area, so all spare time has been taken up with yardwork and so have been unable to load my post picture as supplied by KosherBenz. This will be my first job when the yard is done.

One thing that is very obvious from the exhaust system photos why it is hard to install chrome tips on the goofy curved exit pipe from the muffler. Most of the aftermarket ones twist and dip down under the rear bumper apron and look really cheesy. Kudos for Mercedes though, for designing the exhaust and rear suspension for a very clean and uncluttered look at the rear - so many good looking cars are ruined from the rear view with exhaust pipes, mufflers, hangers, and other uglies in full view when driving behind them.

Another observation - the area along the rear fender lip by the mufflers is a real road debris trap. Whenever I wash my care, I make sure this area is pressure washed as material really builds up here. I have also noticed that there is two rubber grommets along the back of the trunk well (driver side) that are installed from the inside of the trunk. These plugged holes are probably for wiring harnasses for options my car does not have. It you use a pressure washer to clean out road debris along the bottom lip of the bumper, these grommets will blow out into the trunk and you will eventually fill the spare tire well with water. I caught this very early and reserved the plugs and siliconed them in from the outside - so no more blown out grommets!

Any updates on the Carlsson chip you can share, folks?

J. Alan
Old 04-07-2007, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nope - but I shall post details when the time comes.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another great job by KosherBenz, our E320 CDI picture posting guru!! It is spring in my area, so all spare time has been taken up with yardwork and so have been unable to load my post picture as supplied by KosherBenz. This will be my first job when the yard is done.

One thing that is very obvious from the exhaust system photos why it is hard to install chrome tips on the goofy curved exit pipe from the muffler. Most of the aftermarket ones twist and dip down under the rear bumper apron and look really cheesy. Kudos for Mercedes though, for designing the exhaust and rear suspension for a very clean and uncluttered look at the rear - so many good looking cars are ruined from the rear view with exhaust pipes, mufflers, hangers, and other uglies in full view when driving behind them.

Another observation - the area along the rear fender lip by the mufflers is a real road debris trap. Whenever I wash my care, I make sure this area is pressure washed as material really builds up here. I have also noticed that there is two rubber grommets along the back of the trunk well (driver side) that are installed from the inside of the trunk. These plugged holes are probably for wiring harnasses for options my car does not have. It you use a pressure washer to clean out road debris along the bottom lip of the bumper, these grommets will blow out into the trunk and you will eventually fill the spare tire well with water. I caught this very early and reserved the plugs and siliconed them in from the outside - so no more blown out grommets!

Any updates on the Carlsson chip you can share, folks?

J. Alan
Thanks for posting your observations. I ran my fingers between the heat shields and fender-bumper and felt the dead spaces on both sides. They would need to be pressure washed and cleaned. As to the 2 grommets you would have to hit them head-on with a pressure washer to blow them in but I can see your concern too.

The owner's manual says not to charge the trunk battery with an ordinary charger. Do you know what it means?

It snowed Easter weekend. I hope it is better in BC.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

long time

I hope business is going well with you with this sub-prime garbage environment and the old Kleemann is running like a top.

What do you call your third mode of transport in the latest photograph? I am referring to the beauty between the Vette and Kleemann.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
Thank you... That is my fiancee. She's a great girl....
Old 10-01-2007, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you... That is my fiancee. She's a great girl....
All the best to both of you. I can remember my courting days - we just celebrated our 25th anniversary in May with four wonderful kids.

I am very happy with my CDi but my wife's Suburban is 7 years old so I have ordered a three quarter ton replacement with the 6 speed transmission (unfortunately not the Allison) and the 6 liter VVT engine. With the GM strike it is going to be 8 weeks to delivery.

The Silverado truck package (diesel and gas) 3/4 ton comes with the Allison transmission as standard.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Engine ID

Kosh,

I got this reply from one of the UK Carlsson representative:

"The C-Tronic performance unit for this engine has now been released after 12 months of testing. There are two units depending on which of the 320 CDi engines you have. The specifications of the C-Tronic units are below;

Car Model W211 320 CDi

Engine type OM642

269 bhp

648 nm of torque at 1600-2400rpm

Do you know which engine is the straight 6? Thanks.

Engine type ON648

240 bhp

580 nm if torque at 2000rpm

The price of either type of C-Tronic unit is Pounds £695 plus shipping cost.

Both are available from stock. Please let me know if you need any further information?

kind regards

Peter

Exclusive Tuning & Design Ltd
29 Slader Business Park, Witney Road, Poole BH17 0GP
Tel: 01202 330650 - Fax: 01202 681433 Reg.Office:as above. Reg.No: 5271395

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carlsson C-Tronic CD32 installed into my CDI...OMFG!!!