Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carlsson C-Tronic CD32 installed into my CDI...OMFG!!!

Old 10-10-2007, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
About the exhaust tips you can go with the sport pack ones available from the E320CDI sport in Europe, it have 2 straigth chrome tips like the CLS ones, available with the CDI engine here also.
The tips are the same as the petrol models, at least the looks...

Diesel engines by MB all have the down tips, 2007 and now 2008 models are starting to have straigth chrome tips since they have exhaust particule filters and no need to put the tips down.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:07 PM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
KD box for sale

Shameless plug for anyone interested:
https://mbworld.org/forums/classifieds/214168-fs-kleemann-kd-box-e320-cdi.html

I just traded my '05 CDI for an '04 E55, no need for the KD box anymore. This fits the I6 diesel versions, NOT the Bluetecs.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Any new updates on how the carlsson chip works!?

I was wondering this because I had some issues on my injection system... the cars at idle have inconstant rpm and in movement at full throttle is makes more smoke and not getting enough power at higher rpms!

This is what I did till how:
1. one injector was replaced in warranty (the engine didn't start up), newer injector model, and after this the engine feel worst!

2. made an deal with my Bosch car center and traded my new injector for an rebuilt one same as the other 3 in the engine (I4) and serviced the other 3 injectors, also cleaned EGR. Good result, better mileage, less smoke but still not enough power...
I used to do some dyno runs before I had the Carlsson chip and for some 30000km I was noticing the same low power at higher rpms...

3. went to MB diagnose the problem, result, installed for testing new MAF, new cam sensor and other lower sensor in the engine...
Done 10000kms with those new parts but no improvement.

4. some weeks ago I was checking something in the engine bay and I saw some moist dirt and the front of the engine, and I realized, wait a minute, I know what this is... leak at the high pressure fuel pump (changed in warranty at 25000km)
I was pissed no one at MB and Bosch saw that, went to MB to see if I could get some warranty since the problem was there for a long time, and they confirmed me, bad fuel pump and no warranty.
Went to Bosch and replaced the fuel pump and.... woooowww, now I have power!!!
The engine is so athletic now, at 200Km/h it still pulls hard, before at 160 it wouldn't go.

MB: MAF, Cam sensor, engine lower sensor (don't remember the name) 400€ payed but since the problem was not found this amount is exchanged for future services.

Bosch: 1 injector, 3 injectors service, EGR cleanup, 1 high pressure fuel pump 850€

Everything is running fine for now, except the inconstant rpm when idle and a bit more smoke again!
Thats why I'm asking again if anyone knows how the Carlsson chip works?
Its only Change revised fuel injection timing or there is any fuel rail pressure change!??
When I remove the chip the rpm stays normal!

I contacted Carlsson for help about some problem in the chip and they told me to send the chip to them 50€ only for diagnose, but I asked the address for shipping it and till now no more replys!!!

How a little box like the carlsson chip could have so complicated electronics and which failures could they have!?

PS: sorry for the long post but if you guys know how is to have so much problems with the CDI's, and all the same! (<2004 Sprinters and Vitos in my company all replaced injectores and fuel pumps!!!) its an known problem in Europe for all CDIs produced before 2004, after that no more Bosch injectors and fuel pumps, now they have Delphi.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
touch wood!

I have a 2006 and so far no problem. The intake O ring on the driver's side leaked as well and was replaced under warranty. The problem with all that black plastic engine shroud is that it hides all oil leaks. The bottom of the engine bay is sealed off too and you will not see any oil leaks until it is too late. My advice is check all gasket areas when the shroud is off (for oil changes). Run a finger around these areas to make sure they are dry.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by harkgar
I have a 2006 and so far no problem. The intake O ring on the driver's side leaked as well and was replaced under warranty. The problem with all that black plastic engine shroud is that it hides all oil leaks. The bottom of the engine bay is sealed off too and you will not see any oil leaks until it is too late. My advice is check all gasket areas when the shroud is off (for oil changes). Run a finger around these areas to make sure they are dry.
The problems are not because of oil leaks, but because of diesel leaks from the diesel circuit.
1st generation comon-rail (<2004 ) have lots of problems, solved after the introduction of 2nd generation comon rail (2004 and US I6 320cdi), and now the 3rd generation with the new v6 320cdi.
The high pressure fuel pump is easy to see, its a black metal piece in a triangular shape at the front of the engine above the distribution belt.
I had mine replaced beacause of a leak when the car was one year old and now 3 years later beacause of the same problem.

My fleet of Mercedes comercial vans (at least the older ones from 2003) had the same problems, its a problem that Mercedes wont admit, but its very well known by every mechanic.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gaiex
The problems are not because of oil leaks, but because of diesel leaks from the diesel circuit.
1st generation comon-rail (<2004 ) have lots of problems, solved after the introduction of 2nd generation comon rail (2004 and US I6 320cdi), and now the 3rd generation with the new v6 320cdi.
The high pressure fuel pump is easy to see, its a black metal piece in a triangular shape at the front of the engine above the distribution belt.
I had mine replaced beacause of a leak when the car was one year old and now 3 years later beacause of the same problem.

My fleet of Mercedes comercial vans (at least the older ones from 2003) had the same problems, its a problem that Mercedes wont admit, but its very well known by every mechanic.
Would you be good enough to post a photo of the problem area for all to see please?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by harkgar
Would you be good enough to post a photo of the problem area for all to see please?
Here it is, the high pressure fuel pump:

Old 12-10-2007, 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Text from Carlsson:

Because, when fitted with the new C-Tronic CD 32, you 320 CDi will have an additional 45 bhp and be almost 7 seconds faster in the important overtaking band of 80 to 120 km/h.

Quick and easy installation thanks to the trouble-free C-Tronic adapter, precise and multi-dimensional map control, top-level safety standards and the Carlsson works warranty ensure worry-free driving pleasure. The Carlsson C-Tronic performance boost is now available for all Mercedes-Benz CDI engines.

How can the C-Tronic® CD32 achieve such an amazing performance boost?

A brief excursion into the engineering field is necessary to answer this: engine manufacturers always design their diesel engines with reserves of power that are never exploited to the full in series production.

C-Tronic® mobilises these reserves using intelligent technology without – and this is the decisive factor – ever reaching the limits of safety.

To this end, the C-Tronic® control unit maintains a continuous dialogue with all engine and operating parameters.Well before the critical point is reached, it reins in the additional power, which guarantees that your engine's enormous reserves of power are used intelligently and well within safe limits.However, the C-Tronic® protects not only the engine but also the entire drive chain.

In common with the standard car, it reduces power gently and almost imperceptibly when the gears are changed. In this way, the drive train from the clutch to the drive shafts is protected against overloading. Our warrantyFor the Carlsson C-Tronic®, the warranty runs for 3 years from the date of installation.

For the drive train, 2 years from the date of initial registration. In both cases, it is valid for a maximum of 100,000 km from the date of initial registration.

The C-Tronic® CD32 benefits at a glanceC-Tronic® Diesel POWERapprox. 20 % more torque and power coupled with greater engine response.

An increase of 45 bhp to 269 bhp (198 kW) at 3800 rpm. Standard: 224 bhp (165kW) at 3800 rpm.
Torque 612 Nm at 1600-2300 rpm. Standard: 510 Nm at 1600-2800 rpm. 0-100 km/h in 6.9 (6.0) sec. Standard: 7.7 (6.8) sec (C 320 CDI).

C-Tronic adapterQuick and easy fitment, easy conversion back to standard.

High contact reliability. Precise, multi-dimensional map-based control giving instant response. Your engine reacts immediately to every movement of the throttle peddle.

High safety standardThanks to the Carlsson safety function to ensure your engine's longevity.Developed and made by Carlsson Thus: optimum value for money.Carlsson warranty. Zero risk.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good to know that it also protects the transmission, but no clue about how the power increase is done!

Any one have more news about this subject!?

My problems of fuel circuit are still here, and I managed to check a lot of parts, and now a new one (after the high pressure fuel pump) its the diesel pump, rigth above the high pressure fuel pump, its making an bad sound now!

I'm considering getting rid of the carlsson box, but first I will send it to the Carlsson in germany for a check up (50€+sending).
Old 04-13-2009, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 E200 Kompressor NGT
Carlsson C-Tronic CD32

HELLO!!!
If someone wants to buy a NEW Carlsson C-Tronic CD32 for w210 or W220, you can contact me on the site or to e-mail: v_agrici@hotmail.com
Old 04-15-2009, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350-Bluetec P1
How is this different from a Bullybox, KD-Box, etc.?
Old 04-15-2009, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by philfna
How is this different from a Bullybox, KD-Box, etc.?
A Bulldog box is much cheaper. Check out Xtreme Diesel for prices.

I am happy about it. No smoke. No surging. Lots of power. Economy same or better.