Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Sulphur Oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 05:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Smile Low Sulphur Oil

Has anyone has any luck finding the Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W 40 oil for their 2007 and newer CDI/Blutec. So far, I have to be going to the dealer for oil $ervice, and that hurts, as I have all the equip to change myself. I live in the Chicago area, but will order if can be found. From what I can find out, the oil has to be API service level CJ-4 synthetic and NOBODY caries it here. Mobil 1 or Penzoil is what the benz book calls for. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe what your car required is MB Spec 225.51 oil. Pentosin is a very good oil that is simply not well known in the US, but is very popular in Europe. Amazon sells it with free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Pentosin-1025A...8756701&sr=1-4

Information about this oil:

http://www.pentosin.de/shop_produkt....d=&csprache=EN
Old 12-27-2007, 10:34 AM

E-320 Bluetec
That's $11/liter. I bought the Mobil 1 at the dealer for around $6.50/qt. You probably won't find the Bluetec spec oil anywhere other than the dealer.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by dtrentr
That's $11/liter. I bought the Mobil 1 at the dealer for around $6.50/qt. You probably won't find the Bluetec spec oil anywhere other than the dealer.
I bought over 50 quarts from the dealer at around $5 and change per quart plus several filters; this particular ESP formula is only available at the dealer and is not overpriced, it is same price as other Mobil 1 types available even at Walmart. I am doing alternate oil changes myself. Regular interval changes at the dealership and midterm myself; this amounts to one oil change every 5,000 miles instead of 10,000 milea. Oil Changes: 800 miles, 5500 miles 11,000 & 16,000 miles. Yep, done 17,000 miles since new & August 07.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:17 PM

e300d
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Has anyone has any luck finding the Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W 40 oil for their 2007 and newer CDI/Blutec. So far, I have to be going to the dealer for oil $ervice, and that hurts, as I have all the equip to change myself. I live in the Chicago area, but will order if can be found. From what I can find out, the oil has to be API service level CJ-4 synthetic and NOBODY caries it here. Mobil 1 or Penzoil is what the benz book calls for. Thanks.
Your reference to "CJ-4" is incorrect. The oil needs to met MB quality standard 229.51.

You'll find this oil at the dealer or directly from your local Mobil distributor. The only spec you'll see on the bottle is 229.51 That spec will maintain your warranty coverage.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Thanks to all for the assistance and links. 229.51 spec is the right deal. Dealer only per Mobil. ("Formula M" for Mercedes) A must use to keep the warranty and the DPF in order. Will buy from them for now and continue the intervals at every 5000 miles as pinebaron does. Don't like Benz's idea of going 10000+ miles per change with a turbo. BTW, just turned 17000 miles today
Old 12-28-2007, 07:08 AM

Wife - E300; GL320 - Sand Biege; Me - F150
This is a very good link which discusses when to change oil in the new MBs. I had always thought that changing the oil early and often was best thing for your engine. The URL explains why it isn't so. I have not verified the accuracy of the article.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/2551108-post7.html
Old 12-28-2007, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
An excerpt from another site:

Oil in diesel engines is degraded by the same mechanisms as in gasoline engines, but with the additional presence of soot particles, which increases as the oil ages. During usage of a diesel engine, the crankcase oil gradually builds up soot which is a combustion product in the combustion chamber of the engine and which is transferred in small amounts to the crankcase oil. When the soot builds up to an unacceptable amount, say about four percent by mass or weight of the oil, the lubricating quality of the oil is inhibited. Thus, it is necessary to change the crankcase oil whenever the soot content reaches an unacceptable value.

I need to find out more why an oil change every 5000 miles is detrimental to the MB diesel engine.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by pinebaron
An excerpt from another site:

Oil in diesel engines is degraded by the same mechanisms as in gasoline engines, but with the additional presence of soot particles, which increases as the oil ages. During usage of a diesel engine, the crankcase oil gradually builds up soot which is a combustion product in the combustion chamber of the engine and which is transferred in small amounts to the crankcase oil. When the soot builds up to an unacceptable amount, say about four percent by mass or weight of the oil, the lubricating quality of the oil is inhibited. Thus, it is necessary to change the crankcase oil whenever the soot content reaches an unacceptable value.

I need to find out more why an oil change every 5000 miles is detrimental to the MB diesel engine.
Mercedes Benz does not want us to touch our engines. The reasons are simple:

1) Money. MB makes more if they make the engines difficult or impossible to service.

2) Liability (money again). In the United States of Lawyers MB has to cover itself against ambulance chasers. Product liability suits may be reduced if MB can claim a number of services should or could only be done by their franchisees.

My friend who owned an E55 (2003) had the same experience. He was told by the MB service advisor that if he changes the engine oil before the oil light comes on his warranty is toast.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by harkgar
Mercedes Benz does not want us to touch our engines. The reasons are simple:
Perhaps it is because people working on things they do not understand can produce undesierable results?

I am reminded of the warnings on the TÜF website regarding buying cars from the US, that most are improperly cared for and will require a lot of attention to be brought to correct spec...

Last edited by Untertürkheim; 12-29-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Only need to look at Canada

Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Perhaps it is because people working on things they do not understand can produce undesierable results?

I am reminded of the warnings on the TÜF website regarding buying cars from the US, that most are improperlz cared for and will require a lot of attention to be brought to correct spec...
100% of the Ford Crown Victoria police pursuit cars (called cruisers or interceptors here) used by American law enforcement agents are built in St Thomas, Ontario, Canada. No problem with this make. All Dodge Chargers and Magnums are built in Brampton, Ontario.

However, all the dealers are screaming that the Canadian government must tighten the importation of US cars into Canada. The excuses are exactly the same, safety, specifications (stupid things like the mandatory burglar alarm and daytime running lights) and certification.

MB cars of under 15 years old can only be imported if certified by the manufacturers. What a joke.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am sorry if my post was not clear, I did not mean American made or branded cars, but rather cars that were used in the US.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by pinebaron
You need to read more carefully.

What's detrimental is changing the initial breakin oil (factory fill) too soon.

After breakin, more frequent than recommended changes are strictly detrimental to your wallet and to the environment.

In any event, those that apply science rather than mythology and old wives'
tales to the subject rely on used oil analysis. Such analysis of oils meeting Mercedes specification consistently shows that oil at 10-13K miles is just fine.