Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
warm up at morning time ?

Hi.

Do you guys warm up your diesel engine at morning before driving ? Do I have to do it ?

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 e320 cdi
I have never warmed up any car and a diesel will take forever to warmup at idle. I would suggest driving it right away and just like any other engine, don't beat on it till its warm.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
+1 . Idling when cold will increase engine wear .
Old 01-11-2012, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C63S
I have always let my truck and old Mercedes idle until they warmed up when it gets cold down here. I suppose it has added some extra wear but both have just over 200k miles and can't say either has any engine issues at all. My BMW I just get in and drive though but more so because it has a newer style heater that works instantly where the other two vehicles don't.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E320 CDI (sold); 2007 R320 CDI (sold); 2008 ML320 CDI; 2014 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Snipe656
I have always let my truck and old Mercedes idle until they warmed up when it gets cold down here. I suppose it has added some extra wear but both have just over 200k miles and can't say either has any engine issues at all. My BMW I just get in and drive though but more so because it has a newer style heater that works instantly where the other two vehicles don't.
If your profile is correct, you are in Houston and cold there is not same as cold in Chicago

As for my self, I let RPM to drop ~ 800 RPM before I start driving it and usually I use same routine - put seatbelt etc ...In general, warm up is not above 30 sec (on very cold morning, it could be close to 1 min).

Last edited by zemun1234; 01-12-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:31 AM

2015 C63S
True but I still let them idle probably upwards of 30 minutes in the morning before I leave. For the truck I do it year round, either to get the AC going good or the heater. This though is just morning routine stuff, end of the work day in any of them I just fire them up and go(usually before my seatbelt is even on).
Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W210 W140
I let mine idle in cold weather for about a minute or so. There's no scientific reasoning to this. But, I feel it is enough time to heat the oil a little so it lubricates the engine better than at start up. I think synthetic oil needs less time than standard oil. I also don't go over 2800 RPM until my temp gauge starts to move on the dash.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
I used to warm up for about 5-7 minutes, but according to all of your answers - I think I don't need to do it. I think 1 minute is enough.

Thanks to all.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by aeggroup
Hi.

Do you guys warm up your diesel engine at morning before driving ? Do I have to do it ?

Thanks.
Everything I have read is against morning warming up, particularly diesel engines.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:41 AM

2015 C63S
What have you read to be the problems if you do morning warmups? Just curious because as I said I have done around 30 minute warmups since day one with my truck and regardless of outside temps and at now 202k miles it has yet to display any issues. I do similar methods with the old Mercedes though more I think about it not as long. But when it is actually cold outside my truck would be like trying drive an 8k pound vehicle with an 40 HP engine, it has always been very cold natured.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:42 PM

2006 ml350
It is not so much "problems" with extended warm-up periods, just that it is not necessary.

You have the obvious objections of wasted fuel without propelling the vehicle anywhere, additional wear through engine operation, potential dilution of oil (fuel & moisture) due to operating the engine for an extended period while cool, etc. I can also give the opposing point that I have 409,000 miles on a GM 6.2L that does not seem to have lost any lift without a warm-up period.

With that said, I personally don't use a "warm-up" period simply because a diesel does not make much heat unless it is working. By driving gently right after start-up the engine heats up faster and achieved proper operating temp sooner. I fully admit not shutting off my diesel during extreme cold (spent some time in Green Bay, Wis and Lake Wadena, Minn) when the daytime high temp was -23 deg F. Just let the vehicle idle until I returned to a more hospitable temperature.

With that said, my challenge to the gentleman from Houston is what are the myriad of advantages to letting a vehicle idle for 30 + minutes in a warm climate?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:09 PM

2015 C63S
Originally Posted by u001elg
With that said, my challenge to the gentleman from Houston is what are the myriad of advantages to letting a vehicle idle for 30 + minutes in a warm climate?
Simple, during the times it is cold outside it pre-heats the interior of the vehicle and the times when it is hot outside it pre-cools the interior of the vehicle. I'd rather let the thing idle out in my driveway for 15-30 minutes, maybe less(honestly never timeed it but I know it is awhile before I get back to it) and come out to a comfortable vehicle than to start it right up and have to drive 3-4 miles before it becomes comfortable. More importantly I'd rather not deal with the kids pissing and moaning about the comfortable feeling of the vehicle. I am estimating the 3-4 miles, I know for a fact it is not comfrotable until I reach the main road and it is 2 miles just to get out of my neighborhood plus I am guessing another 1-2 miles before I hit the main road. It never has seemed to hurt anything on any of the vehicles I do that on and if all it is noticeably doing is burning some extra fuel then so be it, I could care less on extra fuel consumption.

The current MBZ does not have 100% AC so in the hot months I let it cool down some before starting the day. The heater in the current MBZ does not work so I do not bother waiting for something that never is going to happen. The prior MBZ had working heater/AC and I did let it warm up. I do not do it at all in the BMW, it has the ceramic pre-heater and its AC is more than efficient plus I do not park it outside which helps interior temps as is.

Regardless of if the vehicle is gas or diesel powered, I still do the same thing. It is part of my morning routine that I start whatever I am driving at the same certain point of the morning then I continue doing other things before loading people into it and actually driving. I do not typically do it at any other points in the day unless the weekend perhaps and leaving the house midday with everyone.

BTW my diesel truck's owners manual actually outlines warming it up via idling in cold weather. It defines the temperature and is a temperature that is actually reached down here because I have experienced it. It goes on to explain how it will do a high idle to help warm things up, I think it might even be doing a load somehow on the engine because it sounds like it is. I do not remember the details beyond that because honestly not read the owners manual in several years. I do know the only way it can engage for me is if the vehicle is idling in park with your foot off the brake and it is I think below freezing outside.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:46 PM

2006 ml350
I now understand...

The extended warm-up is for your personal comfort and part of a morning routine.

I think we can both agree that an extended warm-up period is not necessary for normal vehicle operation.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Same discussion going over on the W203 AMG forum. Same thing applies and even more due to the inherit nature of a diesel engine. Idling is the most inefficient and slowest way to warm up a car and/or engine, moreso in a diesel. Cold starts and cold idle are also the times when the most wear occurs in an engine. By idling a cold engine for extended periods of time, you're subjecting the engine to the higher wear for an even longer period of time.

By doing an idle warm-up you're also neglecting transmission and differential warm up. If you think you can warm up the engine, coolant, and oil to temperature and then just beat on it right away, you're wrong. You'd be subjecting the trans and diffs to a lot since those haven't been warmed up yet.

Quickest way to warm up an engine/components and the vehicle heater is to drive it. Heat is just logical since heat comes from the engine.

https://mbworld.org/forums/5011119-post26.html

Originally Posted by MarcusF
It takes hours for an engine to cool down, so a 5 minute shutoff after reaching operating temperature will not impact the engine temperature enough to make a difference. After the restart, you’ll have full oil pressure within 10 seconds. At that point you can drive it however you want.

Regarding cold starts,
I start my car. As soon as the idle drops (15 seconds or so), I put it in gear and start driving. I keep the revs below 3000 RPM for the first 5 to 10 miles. That’s to warm up the oil. As stated in a previous post, oil temps are very important for engine longevity.

Another approach to warm-up: If I start my car in the garage, and let it idle until the coolant comes up to operating temperature, it will take longer [time wise] to warm up. That’s bad and here are two reasons why -

The entire time it is warming up, the ECU is running in an enriched mode. While in enriched mode, more unburned fuel than normal is passed through the cats. This is tough on the washcoat and can cause the cats to overheat. Both will shorten cat lifespan.

Also, the piston to cylinder wall clearance is greater until the pistons are at operating temperature. This is because piston expansion is greater than block expansion (pistons are sized with that in mind). This increased clearance results in increased blow-by. The blow-by pollutes the oil. This thinned out / polluted oil is tougher on the bearings than it would ordinarily be. Light driving will cause the pistons to reach operating temperature sooner.

I’d never allow any car I own to idle until it reaches operating temperature.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 PM

2015 C63S
Originally Posted by u001elg
I now understand...

The extended warm-up is for your personal comfort and part of a morning routine.

I think we can both agree that an extended warm-up period is not necessary for normal vehicle operation.
The point I was originally trying to make is it seems to not have any noticeable negative impacts on any car I have owned. I typically keep my cars to close to 300k miles and only had one that had some engine issues(some blow by right at 300k). Most people do not even seem to keep cars to 200k and a lot of modern cars cost way too much to fix things by that point in usage. So my personal opinion is a car becomes to troublesome or expensive to keep LONG before any engine issues come up.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:44 PM

2006 ml350
And the point I am making is that a warm up period and especially an extended warm up period is just not necessary. That is the question originally asked by the first post.

I defer to your empirical determination that no detrimental effects are noticed, but then I also note that vehicle manufacturers list extended idling as "severe" service with more frequent maintenance requirements. The other posts stand for themselves as to the more specific effects of extended idling for no purpose.

I am certainly no tree hugger, but I am not about to burn up any additional fuel, within my means of control, just to idle a vehicle.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 PM

2015 C63S
And someone else I thought posted that it is damaging, which I recall is what sparked me getting into more details of what I do and no damages.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Todays engines are made to such fine tolerances compared to engines of 20 years ago that much of the traditional thought no longer really applies. Years ago, it was a common practice to let gasoline engines idle during the winter months to get the car's interior warmed up. Today's electronic engine controls bring a gasoline engine up to temperature much more quickly. Diesels of yore could take forever to produce heat to the heater core due to the inherent thermal efficiency of a diesel engine. Today's diesels usually have an auxiliary ceramic electric heater core to produce interior heat quickly. In the case of my W212 Bluetec, I believe it is a 1000W ceramic element. That said, the engines tolerances are so accurate and balanced, I do not think it makes much difference to the engine if you idle it or just go. I do not know what, if any, issues would occur to the transmission. My guess is that the transmission would suffer no ill effects either. Just do what makes you feel better.