Block Heater Location? - 2016 E250 OM651 engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 E250 Bluetec 4matic Avantgarde Edition W212
Block Heater Location? - 2016 E250 OM651 engine

Hi All,

So my dealer has confirmed that my 2016 E250 Bluetec (sold in Canada) does have a factory installed block heater. I have looked at the pics and other details including the block heater cord set per This MBWorld Post . The details in this post are for an ML or GL with OM642 engine. Even though the dealer has confirmed for me that the cord set p/n for my E250 is BQ-602-0611, which is the same as in the previously mentioned post, I want to validate with my vehicle, so I popped my hood and was struggling to find the block heater location. Does anyone with an E250 have a pic or good description of the location. I am assuming on the block near the front around one of the rad hose connections.

My dealer parts guy also did send me this pic below, claiming it is all they had, and it seems to suggest it may be an in rad hose heater?

Old 03-18-2019, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD

Last edited by kajtek1; 03-18-2019 at 07:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Steveo1966 (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by kajtek1
_
Thank you for your reply and additional info, and this post here which has led me to conclude that I do have the inline heater in the lower rad hose on the lower left front side of the engine. It looks like I will need to temporarily remove the air intake duct along the front of the rad to properly reach down and access it, and also acquire the Defa cord set MB p/n BQ602061, again as depicted in the thread referred to above. So, my assumption is that the black cap as circled in the pic below just pulls off and then I slide on the one end of the Defa mini plug cable as depicted in the second pic. Can anyone confirm that I am on the right path here. Obviously I will need to properly mount/secure the cable and run the other end to an appropriate place on the front grille. Thanks!

Mini plug inlet cable below (from Defa cord set MB p/n BQ602061)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I tried google and found GLK owner, who found plug installed and hidden behind bumper trim.
Those engines have very nice access to everything, so it should not be a problem to check for cable there.
Do you park outside? I heard those engine start in sub-freezing temperatures just fine. Not me, as winter for me is 40F, but I chat on Polish forum, where owners park on the street, so no power available and they just start.
Cabin heating is slow, but lot of European models are equipped with webasto, what for some reasons is not making to America.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by kajtek1
I tried google and found GLK owner, who found plug installed and hidden behind bumper trim.
Those engines have very nice access to everything, so it should not be a problem to check for cable there.
Do you park outside? I heard those engine start in sub-freezing temperatures just fine. Not me, as winter for me is 40F, but I chat on Polish forum, where owners park on the street, so no power available and they just start.
Thanks .. mine is a 2016 E250. In-line heater per my earlier post is there, and part of what comes from Mercedes for cars (diesels anyway) sold in Canada. This has been confirmed by my dealer with a VIN check, and also they confirm that the cord is not supplied with the car and optional. A visual check confirms, that there is just the cap, no cord per my earlier post and pics, so again, hoping I am on the right path here with this cord option if anyone can confirm??

A little more restrictive access on the e250 I would say, vs the GLK, at least from some of the pics I have seen, but should be manageable as a DIY by moving the air duct aside to gain access. I do park outside sometimes, and my interest in the heater is not so much for ensuring it starts, but for giving the engine a bit of a pre-heat on colder days to allow faster warm up -- it is just better for the engine over the long haul.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:37 PM

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts
GLK250 ML350
Dont know if u still need help. The best way to install is remove the under panel, then u can access from the bottom. If u want pictures, i can send u some. just pm me
Old 08-14-2021, 02:11 AM

2020 Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3L V6 Turbo
Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan
Dont know if u still need help. The best way to install is remove the under panel, then u can access from the bottom. If u want pictures, i can send u some. just pm me
Please send me the pictures. I have 2020 MB Sprinter 3L V6 Turbo and it didn't came with Block Heater. I ordered the DEFA Miniplug and would like to install myself. Would appreciate your help in advance. Thank you.