E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

C63 AMG coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S63, E250 cdi
C63 AMG coupe

I feel very frustrated that Mercedes launched an Amg version for the C coupe...i really hoped that they will make an E63 amg coupe...
Eventhough, i like my E coupe more than the C coupe...but an Amg version could have been a great thing.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YweQq...el_video_title
Old 03-24-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 S550 Coupe
I agree. I just leased my E550 Coupe and would have gladly forked over an extra $200-300/month payment for a E63 Coupe.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:42 AM
PGT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E550 4Matic with P1/LED/Pano
ditto
Old 03-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
If they bring the twin-turbo 550 motor to the E coupe, that will be the hot setup anyway - especially in 4matic.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:35 PM

CTS-V Coupe
I don't currently own a benz, but if an E63 AMG Coupe had been available at the time that I decided to buy my CTS-V Coupe I would have chosen the AMG hands down. Mercedes kind of screwed the pooch on this one, judging solely by the amount of feedback I see on here regarding desire for an E63 coupe.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
B8.5 Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Coupe
Well being that the A/C207 is based on the W204 C-Class it's hardly surprising that with there being a C63 Coupe there won't be an E63 Coupe, it makes no sense to pitch two Mercedes-AMG cars against each other, it's not as if you can just upscale the E-Coupe/Cabrio to the same category as the BMW 6 to fill a void, maybe in it's next generation the E-Coupe/Cabrio will grow significantly in dimensions?

That's purely guess work, but considering the C-Coupe is purposefully smaller than the E and is set to have a shorter lifecycle I can't see why both models won't grow in their next iteration to keep them apart.

To be honest it is a shame that there won't be one but then look at the figures that Brabus are getting from the twin-turbo V8, if you get one and think it's too slow just have it tuned up by Brabus - pretty simple solution even if it won't be as special as a full fat AMG model.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
CLA250
There are C and E AMG sedans. I don't see what's so different about coupes that they can't be both AMG.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:23 AM

Yeah but what you don't seem to understand is that the E-Coupe and C-Coupe are built on the same platform.

The E63 Sedan is effectively the rival to the M6, XFR, RS6 etc. The C63's competition revolves around the world of the M3 and RS5 types....

If the E-Coupe was solely based on the E-Sedan then it would be viable to then pitch an E-Coupe against the 6-Series but it isn't, it's built on the C-Class platform, 70-80% of it... hence the size of it inside out. I asked before I bought my E-Cabrio what platform it was based on and was told about it being based on the W204. Interestingly some of the senior tech's have said that under the skin the 204 and 212 platforms are very similar with the 212 just being increased in dimensions to accomodate the larger cabin that it would demand with that sector.

The reasoning for Mercedes using the 204 platform is cost, it would have been too expensive to develop the 212 platform into a coupe/cabrio then place it in to the market segment that the A/C207 currently sits, no one would have bought it at the inflated price (look at how much more a CLS) given that the C-Coupe wasn't available then and wouldn't be coming in cabrio form.

Really not sure how else to explain that so people understand why there won't be an E63 Coupe/Cabrio.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by Dr-Nab
Well being that the A/C207 is based on the W204 C-Class it's hardly surprising that with there being a C63 Coupe there won't be an E63 Coupe, it makes no sense to pitch two Mercedes-AMG cars against each other..
Dr-Nab, I do not quit agree. If highlighted above were true (in MB's eyes), then it would mean that there should have never been C coupe (and it is my strong opinion) as it will compete with E coupe for sales. Will they compete with each other? IMO, absolutely yes.

That is why I do not get MB's logic of C coupe at all: with identical (or very close to) interior to E coupe, less expensive C350 coupe will for sure negatively effect E350 coupe's sales. Now C63 coupe may just about killed most of E550 coupe's sales.

What IMO MB should have done, was no C coupe at all, but to add E63 coupe to the line up (just like they did with CLKs before). On top of that, they sould have kept the same name (CLK) as before, because that's what it (E coupe) realy is (and CLK was) - a substantialy upgraded C class. It would also have stopped message boards arguments of what E coupe realy is - if it was based on W212 (instead of W204) it woul be at least $10K more than a W212 sedan, instead of $8K less.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 AM

E350 Coupe
Sorry, threeMBs I don't agree with you at all. If you take a look at the C coupe and the C63 AMG they look and are shorter than the E350 coupe. Yes they share chassis but it's what is bolted to those chassis that makes the difference and I'm talking looks here. Where the E coupe is svelt and sexy the C is boxier...the front hood is shorter it does not have the pillerless side windows and doesn't share the flowing side lines. Yes I happen to like the pontoon look of the E. The C63 is built as a direct competitor to the M3 and it's overall design is more in keeping with BMW's converted sedan look. If MB had built the E Coupe on the w212 chassis they really would have had to stretch it. What it really would have needed would have been it's own chassis which just isn't cost effective. Nobody will ever confuse the E coupe with a C. I have a 2010 C300 sport sedan in my garage now while my car is in for service and there is no comparison overall. I'm really surprised as a coupe owner you haven't noticed the differences.

Last edited by steelgrey; 07-18-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No so fast, steelgrey. Please, read my post again. I said: "...with identical (or very close to) interior to E coupe...". Never did I say anything about the exterior. I do concur with you - a night and day exterior difference and IMO in E coupe's favor by far. Having said that, just like with E350 vs. E550 coupe argument for many, some may say that'"once inside, why not C coupe for much less?" I'm sure you can see where I'm going with it.

Also, I'm not comparing how C class drives vs. E coupe (have many C class loners). E coupe is much more enjoyable experience (especially 550) - more solid feeling, tighter handling, much more substantial than C class, but please also understand that W207 (or C207 as its called now) is not in W212 class in terms of ride comfort and overall refinement.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:15 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
I don't want to get in the middle of things here, but to me, this picture just screams "Honda Accord Coupe!" I should know; I've had two of them. A bit of an exaggeration, but not a big one, stylewise:
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/innova...e-FutureModels

As for the interior differences, I dunno. If I were behind the wheel here, I'd be fully aware I was not surrounded by an E. Yes, it's still a very nice interior for thousands $$$ less than the E - but, to me, it's just not the same. The E interior seems more sumptuous.
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/innova...e-FutureModels

There are other differences too, which may be important to some. They are to me. One difference that is obvious in the picture is the downgraded Heating/AC control system. I suspect there are others, but don't have enough details on the C Coupe.

I too strongly questioned MB's marketing-think when I heard about the C Coupe. Now that I've seen it, I still believe there is sufficient space between the C and E for each to have market share, although the E's share is not all that large to begin with (one of the things I love about the E coupes/cabs - you don't meet yourself coming and going everywhere you go).

The C Class has always been the entry level class for first time Benz buyers who were stretching their pocketbooks to do it or just wanted a smaller Benz sedan. The E Coupe, even though not built on the E sedan chassis, seems to me to be a whole lot closer in style and substance to the W212, than the C upon whose chassis it sits.

Having driven a CLK for 11 years and then spending a good bit of time test driving an E350 coupe, I can honestly say I did not feel like I was driving an updated CLK.

Just my two cents. That's all I have left after ordering the new car.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:06 PM

E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by threeMBs
No so fast, steelgrey. Please, read my post again. I said: "...with identical (or very close to) interior to E coupe...". Never did I say anything about the exterior. I do concur with you - a night and day exterior difference and IMO in E coupe's favor by far. Having said that, just like with E350 vs. E550 coupe argument for many, some may say that'"once inside, why not C coupe for much less?" I'm sure you can see where I'm going with it.

Also, I'm not comparing how C class drives vs. E coupe (have many C class loners). E coupe is much more enjoyable experience (especially 550) - more solid feeling, tighter handling, much more substantial than C class, but please also understand that W207 (or C207 as its called now) is not in W212 class in terms of ride comfort and overall refinement.
Guess I misunderstood you...sounds like we're saying pretty much the same thing. The one thing I've noticed after being around this forum and exposure to a lot of auto media. Many people barely consider the C class a true Mercedes. The W212 group immediately jumped on the E coupe for sitting on the C chassis wanting to deny it it's E lineage. After the thread that appeared on the W212 forum about the quality of the E sedans ride. I'm not so sure it's better than the coupe. As to overall refinement the E coupe has the refinement level appropriate to what it is a very sporty elegant coupe.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:32 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by steelgrey
.....As to overall refinement the E coupe has the refinement level appropriate to what it is a very sporty elegant coupe.
Brief and well stated.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

After the thread that appeared on the W212 forum about the quality of the E sedans ride. I'm not so sure it's better than the coupe.
Well, one was from a guy coming from S class to '10 E sedan "sport" equipped with Pirelli high performance tires. Now he switched to '11 E sedan still "sport" but now equipped with Continental touring tires. Now he says car rides better. Of course the only difference between those cars partaining to the ride IS/ARE the tires. Anyone with that many posts should have some understanding regarding a huge ride difference between them. TireRack is an excellent site for an uninformed or just an ignorant "entusiast".

The other complaint post was from a guy with E550 referencing his displeasure with airmatic suspension concept. Of course E coupe does not have airmatic. Why?...its a "CLK". Just a minute... I love my E550 coupe (more than my W212 E350 for what I use the coupe for) just as much as I loved my W208 CLK (over my W210 sedans which I had at the same time), but please just lets not call them E class.

As to overall refinement the E coupe has the refinement level appropriate to what it is a very sporty elegant coupe.
Completely agree. Except of course that MB should have still called them CLK.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:40 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
E coupe is much more enjoyable experience (especially 550) - more solid feeling, tighter handling, much more substantial than C class, but please also understand that W207 (or C207 as its called now) is not in W212 class in terms of ride comfort and overall refinement.
Agreed.

Problems/complaints relating to the W212's ride seem to involve the sport suspension and 18" tires, wheels- the Sport version of the car.

The luxury version may ride better, as reported by Consumer Reports. Their first test of a W212 E350 was a sport model. They said it did not ride as well as the previous iteration they tested - a W211.

Subsequently, they bought an E350 Blu-tec for testing - apparently a Luxury version. This car did not have the sport suspension and wheels. They said it rode noticably better than the sport version.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BenzMan369
The C Class has always been the entry level class for first time Benz buyers who were stretching their pocketbooks to do it or just wanted a smaller Benz sedan.
Yes completely agree.

The E Coupe, even though not built on the E sedan chassis, seems to me to be a whole lot closer in style and substance to the W212, than the C upon whose chassis it sits.
Yes agree. But the same should be said about both W208 and W209 CLKs.

Having driven a CLK for 11 years and then spending a good bit of time test driving an E350 coupe, I can honestly say I did not feel like I was driving an updated CLK.
Again, IMO, there is nothing wrong to call current E coupe an updated CLK. Its as close to current E sedans as its both predecessors were to their corresponding E sedans. Its just MB chose to call them E coupes now instead of CLK, and its my only "beef" here. Its the name I do not like, not the car.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:02 PM

2011 E550 Coupe
We're all friends here!

Both are special cars. Although most agree that the c coupe looks like an accord.

Now, the c63 black series coupe, that's a machine
Old 07-18-2011, 10:18 PM

E350 Coupe
I really don't know much about the CLK except it has a very bad reputation as far as reliability and quality deserved or not. It appears to me that MB decided in order for the E coupe to suceed they needed to distance it from the CLK. It also fell right into place with the E sedan makeover.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:06 AM

I really don't know much about the CLK except it has a very bad reputation as far as reliability and quality deserved or not. It appears to me that MB decided in order for the E coupe to suceed they needed to distance it from the CLK. It also fell right into place with the E sedan makeover.
That's exactly the point, the CLK did have a bad reputation which some at MB have admitted to, despite being a massive success which prompted a lot of questions when MB announced they would be "dropping" it.

As far as I know the E-Coupe and Cabrio have been just as big a hit and allowed space for another model to fit into the lineup in the C-Coupe but then that's pushed the A/C207 into it's own sector... with no obvious rivals now that C-Coupe is now pitched against the 3-Series, A5 etc.

With the ride quality and refinement... dear me don't get me started, the standard set up I had of 18s with Conti rubber is just ridiculous over bumps you feel everything and it's fairly noisy too can't figure out why the car came with that spec, that's in comparison to 19s on Vredestein rubber it's a lot smoother, the difference is unbelievable I never imagined a set of tires could make so much difference!

Airmatic... yeah it's good but then WHEN it breaks (outside of warranty) it will cost you a small fortune to fix so glad it's not there, the GL will be going before the warranty is up or just finished.. don't fancy the repair bill on that to be honest!

Got to say I am looking forward to the C63 Black!!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:56 AM

E550C. Sold: '98 vette, '04 M3, '01 M5, '05 TL, BMW330 Cabrio (x2), BMW323 Coupe, '07 Benz C230
pretty simple. they had once produced the wonderful CLK55 AMG, so they abandoned it for the C coupe AMG, which is ... stupid. ja? until the RS5 comes to the U.S., they won't "need" an E coupe AMG since the E550 matches/exceeds the S5. and they won't cannibalize their own sales of E63's at 90-100k. the whole thing is stupid IMO and there is a hole in their lineup.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:12 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
......Again, IMO, there is nothing wrong to call current E coupe an updated CLK...... Its the name I do not like, not the car.
Fair enough. A rose is a r.......

Also, admittedly, I suppose psychologically it helps to have the E badge glued onto a car you just paid $5-$10 grand or so more for than a similarly equipped C.

I think you hit on a critical point here. The CLK did have a poor rep. for reliability, particularly the model after mine - 2003(?) onward.

Even my '00 CLK320 had a host of electrical problems in the beginning. But, the dealer fixed every single one of them properly in warranty and, equally important, they stay fixed right up til now. Plus, the service dept. made it so doggone easy to get the work done without hassles or arguments, even though they are 25 miles away. Free loaners, wait for it with free meals at the local restaurant if I wished, come to the house to pick it up and drop a loaner, etc. It was almost - but not quite - fun.

And an additional point on distancing the E from the CLK. I believe the CLK was not the best styled car MB ever produced, to say the least. It had a reputation around here among male buyers as looking like a "chick car," especially in certain colors. Not enough testerone built into the design, at least on the outside. I would not say that about the current E coupe/cab design, which is bolder and edgy yet still elegant inside and out, along the same lines as the W212 to which it purports to be related.

I guess we've gotten away from the original purpose of this thread, but it is a fine discussion by sincere people.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:25 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Dr-Nab
......don't get me started, the standard set up I had of 18s with Conti rubber is just ridiculous over bumps you feel everything and it's fairly noisy too can't figure out why the car came with that spec......
Hee hee, you know my feelings on this point Nab, particularly the feelings in my rump and kidneys after test driving the '10 E350C, which I've posted about ad nauseum.

Hoping and praying my '12 ships with the same Michelin Primacy MXM's I've been seeing on the '11s, MB having dropped the P Zero Neros. If not, I may just replace them. MXM Tire Rack rating is at the top of its class in most categories, including the all important (to me) ride, noise and wear categories.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
So I owned both... Traded my 2012 E350 Coupe for a 2013 C63. First off, the C63 does not look like an Honda Accord. My driving impression of the E coupe is the hood line is longer... A lot softer; sport luxury. The C63 and C63 BS (essentially track car) puts it in a different category. The AMG hand built engine is legendary...

A E63 coupe would have been a sweet ride.