E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Extremely Annoyed At Sat radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450 AMG Sport
Thumbs down Extremely Annoyed At Sat radio

Hey Guys,

I am extremely annoyed and pissed off at my sat radio. I have taken my car to MB 3 different times about the sat radio not working properly and constantly dropping my reception during the 6 month trial period and every time they tell me that there is no issue with it. It is extremely frustrating as I had to pay for my subscription for a month when i tried to retest it out and canceled within 2 days. Please help anyone who knows what I can do regarding this issue as i am exremely pissed.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:44 PM

2012 E550 Coupe
Satellite radio is line of sight, transmitter to receiver. The further north you go from the Sirius satellites the more apt you are to have a line of sight obstruction such as buildings or trees. This causes the radio to drop in and out. Being in valleys can cause the same problem.

There may indeed be something wrong with your radio or antenna but you may just be in a bad location for continuous satellite reception. I dropped the XM subscription on my Corvette for this very reason and I live in Northern Virginia which is a better reception area then NY.

The Corvette had the antenna in a side view mirror which made the angle to the satellite greater. I think the MB antenna is on the roof but I may be mistaken. In any case the higher on the car the better.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:48 PM

2016 C450 AMG Sport
yes the sat radio antenna is on the roof but how is it possible that my cousins c63 who has the antenna in the same spot, parked next to me, has perfect uniterupted signal meanwhile my E350 coupe, same year as the c63, has reception in and out?
Old 01-05-2012, 04:01 PM

2012 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by kefking87
yes the sat radio antenna is on the roof but how is it possible that my cousins c63 who has the antenna in the same spot, parked next to me, has perfect uniterupted signal meanwhile my E350 coupe, same year as the c63, has reception in and out?
Simple, either the front end of your radio is suffering from decreased gain or your antenna and/or wiring is screwed up.

I doubt your local MB service location has either the equipment or ability to find problems like this. The only thing you can do is get them to replace both receiver and antenna.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:58 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Just a thought... Try to shoot a short video of both Mercedes' parking side-by-side, clearly showing one has perfect satellite radio reception while the other has not.

Show the video to the Service Adviser (SA) of your dealer, so to prove to him/her that something is not right with your satellite radio.

Hopefully with the aid of your video, it would help your SA to justify a warranty order to replacing your faulty satellite radio components accordingly.

Best luck,
Old 01-05-2012, 06:02 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
19 E53 AMG Cab, 21 Land Rover Defender 110S, 20 LR Discovery HSE, 23 Ford Bronco 2dr 7spd Manual
I'm in Long Island which is relatively flat and reception sucks. It appears that sometimes it cant get reception in areas where it did the day before. They need to invest (sirius xm) in more satelites but until there is competition they are the only game in town. I'm forgeting why they let Sirius and XM merge in the first place. An oligopoly became a monopoly.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Guys,

I am extremely annoyed and pissed off at my sat radio. I have taken my car to MB 3 different times about the sat radio not working properly and constantly dropping my reception during the 6 month trial period and every time they tell me that there is no issue with it. It is extremely frustrating as I had to pay for my subscription for a month when i tried to retest it out and canceled within 2 days. Please help anyone who knows what I can do regarding this issue as i am exremely pissed.
Hello!
show your writer this.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:57 PM

No Vehicle
I seem to recall someone else having this problem about a year ago. It was resolved when a grounding wire from the antenna was retightened from the inside of the car. Good Luck.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:11 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 E550 Cab
Originally Posted by Pennetta
I'm in Long Island which is relatively flat and reception sucks. It appears that sometimes it cant get reception in areas where it did the day before. They need to invest (sirius xm) in more satelites but until there is competition they are the only game in town. I'm forgeting why they let Sirius and XM merge in the first place. An oligopoly became a monopoly.
I think Sirius had a number of terrestrial repeaters when they first started out but they may have run afowl of FCC regs and had to be taken down over 10-12 years ago.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:19 PM

s550
I am having the same problem on my e350. The reception is terrible and I would almost never get signal. On my S550 i have no problem with it whatsoever.

I have a pano roof and sometimes when I would open the roof all the way that would kill the signal. If i closed it just a bit it would restore. But lately it just stopped working and was very spotty.

Today I had to call sirius and cancel my subscription.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 GLC300
A suggestion to fix your satellite radio reception

I had same issues as well. They started occuring after Serius changed their channel lineup and completely changed the channels assigned to certain stations. I could not hold a signal.

I called Serius and they told me all I needed to do is to "reboot" the radio. If you go to the Serius website, you can find how to do this yourself. You can send a signal from the website to your radio, as long as the radio is on. You can have the website send the signal at a time in the future that you know the radio will be on.

You can also call Serius and they will have someone send the signal for you. All you need to do is make sure the radio is on when the signal is being sent. Only takes a few minutes once the signal is sent.

I did this a few months ago and have had no problems whatsoever since.

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 GLC300
sorry...."Sirius"

nm