E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Coilovers question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 11:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 e350 coupe
Coilovers question

Hey guys, I'm planning of changing my suspension but I have a couple questions about some brands. Right now I'm running on H&R super sport spring which I nice ride quality and made my car low with my stock wheels(18 inch) but now I got 20inch vossen wheels and my car is not as low anymore. I seen that kw make really high quality coilovers but the price way more expensive than I thought so I look around and saw that BC coilovers for a cheaper at around of 1K which around how much I want to spend. But I was wondering how is the ride quality if any one is using them on their benz. I seen ppl running them on Lexus, nissans and BMW and they have positive comments on them but I haven't seen someone run them on their benz. So my question is, is it worth it buying BC racing coilovers? also if anyone is willing to sell me their KW coilovers at a reason price that be great too lol
Old 03-27-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E550 Coupe and 2010 E350 Sedan
Sorry, no experience here. I am also on H&R springs and have been thinking about going to full coilovers. Definitely keep us posted on what you ultimately do.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:35 PM

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts
2000 c230 kompressor special edition, 2004 E320 (sold), 2012 E550 coupe (sold), 2017 C63 sedan
I too have no experience, but here are a couple observations I made while trying to decide on lowering. Looks like KW has variants of both V1 and V3 coils that are made for coupes with the electronic suspension. For example V3s with PN 35225054 seem to be specific to the e-damping cars while 35225029 seem to be for cars with standard suspension. Tire rack notes that even for the e-damping specific V3 that "Electronic damping control has to be deactivated." And a small description of the product from CarIDs website says "V3 Inox-Line Front and Rear Lowering Coilover Kit with 0.8"-1.8" Front and 0.6"-1.8" Rear Body Drop (35225054) by KW Suspensions®. Quantity: 4 per Pack. With Electronic Damping Cancellation Kit." So I assume they come with something that plugs into the car that fools it into thinking the e-dampers are still there, avoiding the "car stuck in sport mode" problem associated with changing out the full suspension or leaving the e-dampers unplugged. Haven't verified this as I decided to go with H&R springs as well. 10x cheaper and retaining the e-damping was tough to argue with...haha. Have only heard good things about BC, but don't think they make a kit with the e-damping defeat computer thing, meaning you would be stuck in sport mode all the time. Please keep us updated if you find anything!

Last edited by crazy00c230k; 03-27-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes E550 Coupe
I have KW Variant 1 installed on my car for about 9k miles so far.
The ride has definitely become stiffer and more responsive to aggressive driving and turns. There is more overall road feel and less body roll than stock. You will be more confident when taking turns hard.

My only complaints are like mentioned, I am always stuck on sport mode. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing because I do enjoy driving in sport mode. However, there are days where I just want to cruise and have a relaxing drive and I don't have that option anymore because when sport mode is engage throttle response is sensitive and gears are held at higher RPMs. This also means that my MPG has gone down since I'm always in sport mode.

Like I said, thats my only complaint. Other than that, car handles better and stance is better. But that not to say I don't miss driving in comfort mode sometimes.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:03 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 79 Likes on 77 Posts
AMG
We have used KW V3 on our RennTech E63 S Wagon and they have been great. Quality is top notch.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:41 AM

2010 e350 coupe
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor
Sorry, no experience here. I am also on H&R springs and have been thinking about going to full coilovers. Definitely keep us posted on what you ultimately do.
Deff keep you posted. Currently doing some research
Old 04-02-2017, 10:44 AM

2010 e350 coupe
Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
We have used KW V3 on our RennTech E63 S Wagon and they have been great. Quality is top notch.
Send you a PM. This would look great with my vossen wheels I have on.
The following users liked this post:
Mike@Vossen (04-03-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 10:46 AM

2010 e350 coupe
Originally Posted by hotwheels_
I have KW Variant 1 installed on my car for about 9k miles so far.
The ride has definitely become stiffer and more responsive to aggressive driving and turns. There is more overall road feel and less body roll than stock. You will be more confident when taking turns hard.

My only complaints are like mentioned, I am always stuck on sport mode. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing because I do enjoy driving in sport mode. However, there are days where I just want to cruise and have a relaxing drive and I don't have that option anymore because when sport mode is engage throttle response is sensitive and gears are held at higher RPMs. This also means that my MPG has gone down since I'm always in sport mode.

Like I said, thats my only complaint. Other than that, car handles better and stance is better. But that not to say I don't miss driving in comfort mode sometimes.
Thank you for your input. Deff have to consider having my car on sport mode all the time.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E550 Coupe and 2010 E350 Sedan
Love the CV7s in that color. Great choice.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts
2000 c230 kompressor special edition, 2004 E320 (sold), 2012 E550 coupe (sold), 2017 C63 sedan
Happened upon this...

http://www.kwsuspensions.net/kw-canc...ing-15268.html

Oddly it doesn't show up on their US site...only the international...but it would appear the e-damping cancellation kit is available as a stand alone item. Might be worth looking into a little further for those who want coils. Has got me more seriously thinking about them myself...
Old 05-03-2017, 10:01 PM

2010 e350 coupe
hey guys so here's a little update on the coilover situation.

So about a month ago my mechanic ordered the BC coilovers for my coupe. It took 2 weeks to get it deliver(oh well) so the the day of install the holes on the coilover didn't match the ones from my car to put the bolts on. Called their office( BC coilover office) they said send it back and they will send a new one. And so we did. Waited another 2 weeks to get the new coilovers. This time the bolts match and we installed it no problem BUT then the endlinks that come with the coilover don't fit. They are too long smh. At this time we called again and they said they didn't know what happen so they said send the kit back and they will send another one. At this point a month has passed and I still don't got my coilovers and I'm keep running into issues so I just decided to return the whole thing and leave my car as is for a while I decide what to do. I'm still on my H&R springs. Sorry guys I wished I had my car lowered at this moment and had better news.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes E550 Coupe
Aw, what a shame! Hopefully you'll find that set of coilovers soon enough. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:21 PM

2010 e350 coupe
Originally Posted by hotwheels_
Aw, what a shame! Hopefully you'll find that set of coilovers soon enough. Good luck.
Thanks you, for now maybe I'll just keep my springs, save some money and invest into some KW coilovers. I think that is my best solution into lowering my car. I'll keep everyone updated