E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How to remove convertible soft top switch?

Old 07-20-2017, 03:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 Cabriolet
How to remove convertible soft top switch?

Hi,

I want to replace the rubber roller blind (red part) covering the cupholder (EU spec '13 E350 Cabrio) in the front center console.

I've done the same on my previous W204 before, which has the same center console, and it was fairly easy. There is a little storage underneath the front tip of the longer half of the armrest. That could just be taken out, there is a screw underneath to be loosend and then the trim piece (yellow part) around the Comand controler and cupholder could be taken off and the roller blind was free.

On the convertible there is the soft top/Airscarf switch (blue part) instead of that little storage compartment. The switch doesn't seem to have any visible screw.

Does anyone know how to remove that switch?

Thanks!
Steffen

Last edited by H-ManZX; 07-20-2017 at 03:51 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 07-20-2017, 01:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,412 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
See if this helps, see attachment.
Attached Thumbnails How to remove convertible soft top switch?-capture.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
assemble center console.pdf (1.21 MB, 1126 views)
The following users liked this post:
H-ManZX (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Yeah, that helps a lot! Thank you!

And it confirms what I was afraid of: The whole armrest assembly has to come off.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 E350 Cab
Might there be different instructions for a 2012?
I can’t seem to find many of the same screws to take out. For example, at the rear where the armrest is connected to the rear vent console.
Frankly, if I could get the instructions for just step 1 “remove center console” that would help.

Last edited by erich_aux; 03-02-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,412 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by erich_aux
Frankly, if I could get the instructions for just step 1 “remove center console” that would help.
See attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
center console.pdf (1.90 MB, 501 views)
Old 03-02-2019, 09:16 PM

2012 E350 Cab

See attachment.
Thank you.
Normally, I feel like I am pretty darn intelligent and handy, but I’m just not figuring this out.

But, I think all I really need to do is separate the arm rest not remove the entire center console. I just want to replace the soft top switch cover.
On the photo on the left, I think I am simply supposed to unclip the armrest from the center console with, I assume, a wedge tool.
But I am not having any luck.
Any better pics or videos?

Last edited by erich_aux; 03-03-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:58 AM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
From memory on the pre-facelift. Remove the cup holder part, then the rubber mat at the bottom which will expose some screws to remove. Then remove the air vent cover at the rear and remove those screws. You should then be able to use lever tools to release the clips in the sides to lift the cover off.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:21 PM

2012 E350 Cab
Originally Posted by 400ixl
From memory on the pre-facelift. Remove the cup holder part, then the rubber mat at the bottom which will expose some screws to remove. Then remove the air vent cover at the rear and remove those screws. You should then be able to use lever tools to release the clips in the sides to lift the cover off.
Thank you.
Ive actually made progress using this guide from Pelican Parts.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...le_Removal.htm

It’s for a c class but I think it is very similar.
I’ve removed the one screw in the cup holder and removed the rear vents and ash tray.

I stopped there for now. I’m not sure yet if I need to remove the shifter trim and any screws under there. I’m not really stuck, just don’t have time right now.
Old 11-14-2021, 01:23 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2011 E550 Cab
Originally Posted by erich_aux

Thank you.
Normally, I feel like I am pretty darn intelligent and handy, but I’m just not figuring this out.

But, I think all I really need to do is separate the arm rest not remove the entire center console. I just want to replace the soft top switch cover.
On the photo on the left, I think I am simply supposed to unclip the armrest from the center console with, I assume, a wedge tool.
But I am not having any luck.
Any better pics or videos?
Thread revival. I'm in the same spot. Tried trim tools, thin metal, etc with no luck. Any ideas?
Old 11-14-2021, 01:59 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2011 E550 Cab
Originally Posted by BigMike62
Thread revival. I'm in the same spot. Tried trim tools, thin metal, etc with no luck. Any ideas?
Got it. When you keep an old garage door opening clip around for 20 years because it might come in handy one day LOL
Old 11-14-2021, 03:38 PM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Just trying to remember now, its definitely the two screws at the back once you have removed the vent cover and the screw under the mat in the cup holder tub. IIRC you also have to remove the gear lever gaiter and the surround (both pull off I believe). You should then have a couple of screws at the front to remove. Should then be able to be prised off with the tools.
Old 07-09-2023, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by 400ixl
Just trying to remember now, its definitely the two screws at the back once you have removed the vent cover and the screw under the mat in the cup holder tub. IIRC you also have to remove the gear lever gaiter and the surround (both pull off I believe). You should then have a couple of screws at the front to remove. Should then be able to be prised off with the tools.
Reviving this thread - trying to replace COMAND controller. I have so far been able to:

1. Remove gear selector and surround;
2. Removed screw under front cupholder;
3. Removed two screws at front of console (technically they were missing but...); and
4. STUCK - I cannot figure out how to remove the rear center vent cover to get to the two screws at the back! I have tried to insert the blind rivets as in one instruction and general brute force but nothing seems to work - any advice or guidance would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.