E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

new e400 cabrio! service question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 E400 cabriolet
Question new e400 cabrio! service question

Hi all, new member and benz owner here, I hope I'm using this forum correctly. I just picked up my 2018 e400 cabriolet! love this car! the dealer offered me a prepayed service option for my first four service appointments. cost is $1275. I was a bit surprised at the cost for servicing this car! (oil changes basically) does everyones dealer charge this much? how do you guys get your baby serviced?

Thanks in advance, Bob from jersey
Old 11-08-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
Originally Posted by bobfromjersey
Hi all, new member and benz owner here, I hope I'm using this forum correctly. I just picked up my 2018 e400 cabriolet! love this car! the dealer offered me a prepayed service option for my first four service appointments. cost is $1275. I was a bit surprised at the cost for servicing this car! (oil changes basically) does everyones dealer charge this much? how do you guys get your baby serviced?

I would take it considering an A Service ( which really is not much more than an oil change) down here in SWFL is $300. I bought the car New when I lived in Central NJ in 2013. When I protested the price to the dealer he said, “ it’s not a Toyota”. If I recall, the B Service was $800. My 06 Lexus SC 430 way back when was only around $80 at the Lexus dealer in Freehold NJ. I learned my lesson from MB that when I purchased my 16 Audi A6, I purchased the prepaid maintenance plan for $800.
The following users liked this post:
bobfromjersey (11-09-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ML '15
I had first two services thrown in on my ML. If you lease, the cost of the maintenance plan is residualized so your actual cost is far less than the contract price. I believe "list" for the E400 is 1125 for the three year, so 1275 for four years sounds reasonable. If you do a build on MBUSA.com you can see the prices.

I'm curious which dealer in NJ you bought from and what your experience was. I'm hoping to close a deal on an E400 this week.

Last edited by Jon Goldberg; 11-08-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: error
Old 11-09-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Shop around

I live in Jersey. Which dealer quoted you? I never did prepaid service because I don't want to be locked in with one dealer. When the dealer said "it's not a Toyota", he is full of crap! That's the best reason he could give you for overcharging? Oil change can be done by any competent indy shop. There are many of them around servicing German cars. I would go by the service intervals in your manual, not what dealer tell you when and what to service. The only time I go to the dealer is for warranty and recall service.

You have a new car and you have plenty of time to shop around. I have own many German cars and never believe in prepaid service. Why get locked in by one dealer? I would not do the prepaid service, period.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 E400 cabriolet
thanks guys, very helpful. I purchased at Mercedes of Flemington in Flemington nj. very happy with the salesman Neil Gerstein, nice guy, very honest and prompt during the process, The car did sit in Baltimore for two weeks and he didn't have much input as we were waiting for it to ship (we ordered this car) but I assume he really had no info or control over getting it shipped to the dealer. they had tech guy walk us through all the tech stuff, which was very helpful, especially for my wife. I would definitely recommend them so far.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:04 PM

ML '15
"I have own many German cars and never believe in prepaid service. Why get locked in by one dealer? I would not do the prepaid service, period."

Then I guess with all those German cars you've bought no one took the time to explain MB prepaid maintenance to you. It follows the car and has no connection to a particular dealer. Any MB dealer service department in the US will honor it.

When it's residualized as part of a lease, you wind up paying somewhere between 40 and 55% of full cost of the package (depending on your car's residual), which makes it a reasonable deal.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 143 Likes on 118 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
I almost bought prepaid maintenance on my car, but did a bit of research and discovered that most of what they do for your several-hundred-dollars is ridiculously simple (e.g., replace air filter, check the horn, headlights, wipers, tire pressure, trunk light, etc.). Want to see what A and B service includes? Have a look:

There's simply no way I could justify paying the dealer to do things like that, as I'm well aware of the functionality of most of those things when I drive the car every day. I talked to my Service Advisor and he suggested that I bring it in for things like oil/filter changes, brake service, coolant replacement, etc., and do the rest of those "checks" myself.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:52 PM

ML '15
Mr. Toad - Yes, I'm aware of what's in each service and what it should cost when done by an independent. However, when rolled into a lease, the additional cost over what I can get the services for elsewhere is only around $100-150 (for all three -- two As and a B, not each). The convenience, guaranteed loaner and pickup/drop off my dealer offers is worth that to me. If I bought instead of leased and had to pay the full cost of the plan it would no longer be worth it.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:56 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
Originally Posted by Jon Goldberg
"I have own many German cars and never believe in prepaid service. Why get locked in by one dealer? I would not do the prepaid service, period."

Then I guess with all those German cars you've bought no one took the time to explain MB prepaid maintenance to you. It follows the car and has no connection to a particular dealer. Any MB dealer service department in the US will honor it.

When it's residualized as part of a lease, you wind up paying somewhere between 40 and 55% of full cost of the package (depending on your car's residual), which makes it a reasonable deal.
I bought an Audi prepaid through Audi. I can go to any dealer, not just the one I purchased the auto from.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:31 PM
cda

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 AMG CLS53
Originally Posted by bobfromjersey

The price your dealer is asking is less than what MBUSA.com suggests ($1475) - you could probably push for more off. I have had prepaid maintenance on my last 2 Mercedes and it is worth it. And you can go to any authorized MB dealer with it...