E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Anybody test-driven a 2018 E400 coupe with and without air suspension? Thx.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 12:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Audi S6
Anybody test-driven a 2018 E400 coupe with and without air suspension? Thx.

Hey gang, need your input. Drove a new E400 coupe on Saturday, with 19s (245/275s) and regular suspension, but lowered, due to the AMG-line package (which I'd absolutely get, along with 19s), and here are my opinions. First, the front wheel gap looked okay, but the rear was much larger, which looked really bad IMO. Car was supposedly equipped with 'dynamic damping', but there was no adjustment anywhere. Salesman said it was not adjustable anymore but that it was there; well, I didn't feel absolutely any difference after changing to every mode. I had my expectations adjusted, after reading several reviews, which included the car wasn't that quiet, or that smooth for an E class. Both of those were true, but the ride was a lot worse than I thought, especially without being able to change shock settings manually. The car felt unsorted, just like a Lexus SC430 I used to own: Hard ride but a floaty suspension, which makes no sense. Can't imagine feeling confident in that car at the ton, especially if tarmac is not super smooth. Also confirmed black Napa leather is not available with the AMG line, which is utterly stupid, but whatever. At least the beige/blue car I drove had leather on dash and doors, and not vinyl (MB-Tex), and the black/saddle I'd get supposedly would be the same. The rest of the experience was nice, with seats both supportive and comfortable. Noise is less than on the C63, so that's not a problem even for my wife (I'm used to much worse. Ha ha). I'm sure my wife would be okay with the ride, since it's about the same as the C63 sedan, but this coupe feels like a boat by comparison. So here's where I need your help. I read that the air suspension made the car both sportier and more comfortable, depending on setting, and THAT is exactly what I'd like to hear from some of you (AMG-line with air suspension preferred, since it might be a difference in ride height as well). And also how the stance compares to the same AMG-line but with stock spring suspension. Hopefully car will sit lower, be more comfortable in comfort, and more sporty in sport, as well as with less bodyroll. Thank you in advance for your help. This car would be my second choice, in case the C63 coupe proves too noisy and/or harsh for my wife. So far I'm sure it'd be okay for her, but not for me (firm suspension without good handling is just stupid IMO). Just trying to see if it's even worth trying one with air suspension. Hope so, because this car would be much better for my wife, due to being quieter, available with massage seats (which I'd get for her), a rare back seat for actual adults, and better sounding stereo, for some reason (seems the same). But if she can tolerate a C63 coupe, I'd get that one over this one. By the way, they'd cost just about the same the way I want them. Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by elp_jc; 11-13-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S550
I have a 2018 00E Cabriolet on order with AMG and Air Suspension. Coming from a Porsche Macan Turbo. My Wife's S550 has the air suspension as does my Porsche. I like the adjustability I wish the full AMG version of the Cabrio was available however when i test drove one with dynamic set as i liked it is OK
Old 11-14-2017, 12:37 AM

2018 Audi S6
Thank you for your post. Please report back when you get it, to hear your comparison. Just to be clear, the car wasn't bad at all, but since it'd be my only car, I want it to be as sporty as possible. I'm almost sure the air suspension can clear that bar. I don't have it too high; believe me. He he. Just don't want it floaty at higher speeds, or with too much body roll. Even my daughter's (nice) Hyundai would be enough in that department, and it's not a sports car, so I'm not being unrealistic. Just want the car to feel right; can't afford to make yet another $100K 'mistake', so will take my time. Going to Austin for Thanksgiving too (besides Christmas) next week for a full week, so hope to make some time to find both a C63 and E400 coupe equipped the way I'd buy them, to make the final decision and get going with this. Thank you again for your help.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S550
I went with air suspension after my test drive. I think car feels tighter, but not harsh
Old 11-14-2017, 02:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E53 AMG Cabriolet
I had the opportunity to test drive a 2018 E Class Coupe with and without the AIR BODY CONTROL suspension. In my short and limited test drive, I thought the differences were subtle but enough to notice the comfort mode was softer than the car without the AIR BODY CONTROL and the ride stiffened up when you put the car with AIR BODY CONTROL in sport mode. Is it worth the price, hard to tell. I got it anyway.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:51 PM

2018 Audi S6
Originally Posted by Richard991
I went with air suspension after my test drive. I think car feels tighter, but not harsh
Originally Posted by LAMercedes
I thought the differences were subtle but enough to notice the comfort mode was softer than the car without the AIR BODY CONTROL and the ride stiffened up when you put the car with AIR BODY CONTROL in sport mode.
Many thanks to both for your input. That's exactly what I wanted to hear, and suspected all along. And yes, didn't expect major differences, but a subtle one in both directions. What LAMercedes explained, is exactly what I was looking for, so definitely worth getting ABC IMO. Neither of you mentioned about the wheel gap, but hope it's at least not worse on the ABC car, and hopefully consistent front to rear. Thanks again. Hope to be able to find one to test drive, but the difference I was looking for was so small, I feel confident I could order one blindly if unable to do it. Now all I have to do is find a C63 coupe with 19s to see which way I'd go. Take care.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:43 AM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
My E400 cab has the air suspension a $1,900 option. I would not order a car without it. It allows many individual settings that should satisfy most drivers. I traded a Porsche Cayman for this car so I am very familiar with handling characteristics and suspension tuning. My car also has the optional 19" staggered wheel package. I don't find anything distasteful about the wheel well gaps. If you really wanted to subtly improve the rear gaps you might want to go with 5mm spacers. IMO I don't think that is necessary. I leave the suspension in comfort and adjust the steering to sport. Even in comfort mode this car corners flat as a pancake with little or no body roll.
My car is a 25th anniversary model so it came with a number of features added by the factory. I don't believe there was an opportunity to special order this edition.
Good luck with your search. As they say...enjoy the chase.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:42 PM

2018 Audi S6
Originally Posted by pdeacon
I would not order a car without it. It allows many individual settings that should satisfy most drivers. I traded a Porsche Cayman for this car so I am very familiar with handling characteristics and suspension tuning. My car also has the optional 19" staggered wheel package.
That's probably the best testimonial I'm going to hear, since I own a Cayman (GTS with X73) too. Very glad to read your statement. Hey, would you mind posting a picture from the side to see the wheel gaps? And no, I would never mess with wheel spacers. The rear gap is not a deal-breaker, but doesn't make sense not to do them evenly (the front one is fine)... but this was with the regular suspension. Hopefully the air one is a bit better at the rear. One final question: Does your car have manually adjustable shocks (button on console, or from the car screen), like the C63, or not anymore (built into drive modes), like all other E400s? Thx.