E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Where are the E Class Coupe and Cabriolet AMGs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E53 AMG Cabriolet
Where are the E Class Coupe and Cabriolet AMGs?

Mercedes unveiled the CLS ahead of the LA Car show, last week. The CLS will be powered by the new M256 engine. With that, they've already confirmed the release of the AMG model, the CLS 53, powered by the new and enhanced version of the M256 engine. Yet, they haven't announced the AMG version of the E Class Coupe and Cabriolet. It seems to me that every Mercedes Benz car and even some SUVs are available in an AMG model except for the E Class coupe and cabriolet (and E Class estate and all terrain, all E Class none the less). Does anyone know why Mercedes has chosen, or refuses to confirm, the availability of the E Class coupe and cabriolet in an AMG model, a theory even?
Old 12-05-2017, 11:30 AM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Well in the last generation C207 series, there was no AMG coupe or cabriolet. If you wanted a true AMG, you had to buy the E63. Your choices in the E coupe or cab were either the six cylinder 350 or the 8 cylinder 550. In the new generation E213 series, the 350 6 cylinder has been replaced by the 400 6 cylinder for the coupe. I would expect MB may announce a E400 cab at some point. MB has in the past may some noises about wanting to streamline the number of different models they have, but I would think the E cab has probably sold enough units to warrant a continuation of the E cab. As for an AMG version of either the cab or coupe, the new E43 sedan, which replaced the E550, is technically an AMG, because the AMG folks tuned the standard MB production engine to produce more power. So I guess the real question is whether MB will be offering a E43 coupe and cab option going forward or will the E400 be the only option. I don't think we'll see a AMG E53 in coupe or cab form, simply because they weren't offered in the previous generation of E. That doesn't seem to be the direction MB is heading from everything I've read and heard. Standard MB production vehicles, AMG-branded or tuned vehicles and finally true AMG vehicles.

Both the E coupe and cab have been low volume sellers in comparison to the E sedans. Tons of E350 sedans and now E300 sedans on the road, but only an occasional E350 cab and even fewer E400's in any form. I've seen maybe 6 or 7 E550 coupes on the road in almost 3 years now. Truly a rare car and that's one of the things I like about it. When I was looking for a new car a few years back, none of the dealerships in the tri-state area had one, so I had to custom order one to get what I wanted. Bottom line, don't hold your breath waiting for AMG E53 cab or coupe. Most likely not going to be offered by MB. They have to find a way to up-sell you into the higher priced models after all.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E53 AMG Cabriolet
That is a really good point. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an AMG version of the previous E Class Coupe or Cabriolet.

Do you know how many E Class Coupes and Cabriolets are sold each year?
Old 12-05-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2011 E550 Cab & 2015 ML400
Originally Posted by LAMercedes
That is a really good point. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an AMG version of the previous E Class Coupe or Cabriolet.
That's cause Mercedes never made an AMG for the 2-door E-Class. Anyone that has seen one is not lying but being lied to lol.

I read that they might be making an E50 AMG for the 2-doors but that was a while ago so that could have changed.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-drive-review
"The E400 coupe is not at its best being driven hard, but when treated less aggressively it feels strident and robust. It suits the character of the car, while we expect those hankering for a little more sizzle will be served by an eventual AMG-tuned E50 coupe powered by its new turbocharged inline-six, called M256 internally, a powerplant that Mercedes has said will produce in excess of 400 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque. But that’ll be as burly as this car gets, as we’ve already been told that an E63 coupe will not happen."

I suspect if they were to offer an 2-door AMG that it wouldn't be until the next model year.

Last edited by Kevin9664; 12-05-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:38 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Kevin9664
That's cause Mercedes never made an AMG for the 2-door E-Class. Anyone that has seen one is not lying but being lied to lol.

I read that they might be making an E50 AMG for the 2-doors but that was a while ago so that could have changed.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-drive-review
"The E400 coupe is not at its best being driven hard, but when treated less aggressively it feels strident and robust. It suits the character of the car, while we expect those hankering for a little more sizzle will be served by an eventual AMG-tuned E50 coupe powered by its new turbocharged inline-six, called M256 internally, a powerplant that Mercedes has said will produce in excess of 400 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque. But that’ll be as burly as this car gets, as we’ve already been told that an E63 coupe will not happen."

I suspect if they were to offer an 2-door AMG that it wouldn't be until the next model year.
The other issue not mentioned is of course price for any such AMG 53 version of the E coupe or cab. Given the premium that MB is already charging for the E43 sedan, which is really just the replacement to the E550, I would expect MB would price a modestly optioned AMG E53 type coupe or cab model, if one is ever seriously made, well north of $90K or $95K. Actually probably the way MB is going these days, make it an even $100K. After all, a E43 sedan with modest options is already well over $80K. Fully loaded can hit $90K easy enough. At that price point, most people would be looking further up the MB model chain, if you were a buyer. So who would be the target audience at that point for an AMG E53 coupe or cab? Even if you lease instead of buy, most people would naturally just kick in a few more bucks per month and end up in SL or S coupe / cab territory. Then there is the whole issue of potentially cannibalizing the CLS 53 sales should a E53 coupe / cab ever be made.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 e550 cab
There is no market for it what they gonna do with c63 or s class AMG or sl, e class cab and coupe are rare af I seen a few e300 a dozen e400 one e500 sedan one e550 cab that's sums it up so if no one's buying the e550 alot less people will buy e class amg, e 500 cab is around 90k in Canada before options what they gonna do charge 110-115 for AMG model ? At that point you might as well get an sl backseat of the e class are practically useless anyway
Old 12-06-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'18 718 GTS, CX-50 Meridian
They were cooking up the GT to fill that space.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:20 PM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Nothing AMG engined in the A207 or C207, just the standard engined AMG Sport trimmed cars which essentially got different bumpers, wheels, suspension and steering wheel to the standard SE model.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
'13 S5 Coupe
another article from motor1.com which cites comments from AMG boss Tobias Moers regarding an upcoming E-Coupe AMG model. unfortunately, the wait now appears to extend into 2019.

https://www.motor1.com/news/224135/m...upe-confirmed/
Old 12-11-2017, 09:47 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by 4MaticCoupe
another article from motor1.com which cites comments from AMG boss Tobias Moers regarding an upcoming E-Coupe AMG model. unfortunately, the wait now appears to extend into 2019.

https://www.motor1.com/news/224135/m...upe-confirmed/
This article is very similar to another one I read on the discontinuing of the CLS 63 in favor of the CLS 53. Seems all 43 designations will be gradually replaced with the new 53 designation and a bit more powerful 6 cylinder engine. The 430 hp number is the same in both articles. Of course everything branded AMG as well. Everything being re-positioned in advance of the new 4 door AMG GT. Which will have the 4 litre V8 AMG engine.

So the question remains the same. What would be the purpose of an AMG E 53 at well over $100K, if for just a bit more you can get either a AMG E 63, SL 63, S 63 or an AMG GT? Seriously. I just can't envision there would be enough of a market niche for it at that price point. If I were going to drop that kind of money on my next vehicle, it wouldn't be on an E coupe or cab in that price range. Too many other options both within MB and other brands.