E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Looking for assistance with Exhaust Recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e550 cab
Looking for assistance with Exhaust Recommendations

Hi team,
I've still got my 2012 E550 Cabrio and its obviously super fun to drive, really enjoying it. I have one minor complaint and that's the engine and exhaust sound is very muted. I know most people do really like that, however I was hoping to add a bit more growl to the startup and throttle. I am not into the ridiculously loud exhaust systems and muscle car sounds but just a step up.

My gut was telling me a simple clean Xpipe with the resonator delete, and perhaps secondary cats would open add a bit of power and also give me that sound improvement.

My other option I was thinking was leave the resonator on and either straight pipe the mufflers, or find/use e63 or another performance mufflers. (Does this always require some bumper cutting/ aftermarker diffuser?) Taking any recommendations

I've watched a lot of youtube videos trying to find the happy medium on sound output and it seems most people that post the vids opt for the full resonator delete and straight pipe mufflers and it just seems a little much, especially considering the top might be down.

Looking for some advice and opinion on a way to bring out the lovely v8 growl without being too much.
Thanks in advance all!
Cheers
The following users liked this post:
Dr_Micha (09-04-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 12:22 PM
s1c

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c207
Originally Posted by Peter Newsome
Hi team,
I've still got my 2012 E550 Cabrio and its obviously super fun to drive, really enjoying it. I have one minor complaint and that's the engine and exhaust sound is very muted. I know most people do really like that, however I was hoping to add a bit more growl to the startup and throttle. I am not into the ridiculously loud exhaust systems and muscle car sounds but just a step up.

My gut was telling me a simple clean Xpipe with the resonator delete, and perhaps secondary cats would open add a bit of power and also give me that sound improvement.

My other option I was thinking was leave the resonator on and either straight pipe the mufflers, or find/use e63 or another performance mufflers. (Does this always require some bumper cutting/ aftermarker diffuser?) Taking any recommendations

I've watched a lot of youtube videos trying to find the happy medium on sound output and it seems most people that post the vids opt for the full resonator delete and straight pipe mufflers and it just seems a little much, especially considering the top might be down.

Looking for some advice and opinion on a way to bring out the lovely v8 growl without being too much.
Thanks in advance all!
Cheers
I don't think you need to cut the bumper or replace diffuser when replacing the muffler (e.g. from c63). Unless you mean replacing the exhaust tips.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 E550 coupe
I chopped off the rear mufflers and rear box resonator and added an x pipe and it sounds good. But still tame. Might do catless downpipes next.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:12 PM

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
2013 SL550 BiTurbo
If you don't want it too loud, just remove the mufflers. Removing one of the resonators will not do anything(there are 2 resonators and only 2 cats, there are No pre-cats).

I originally did a "muffler delete" when I got my car and it was just right as far as a daily driver without being annoying. Since the muffler"tips" are fake and attached to the bumper, you can just have 2.5" pipe added where mufflers are and have them crimp the end of the pipe slightly to mimic the stock tips on the stock mufflers so the exhaust is directed thru the "tips". The AMG mufflers are stupid expensive($800 used?!?) and not worth it in my opinion.

Straight-piped is loud and sounds great, but may be a bit much for you if you don't want it loud. I did 3" catless downpipes and dumps under the car and it was absolutely horrible. WAY too loud and sounded like a truck(Covid hit and shut everything down, so I couldn't get it finished for about 6 weeks. I then addae an x-pipe and some cherry bomb 3" 3-chamber mufflers. It is still loud(especially when in the throttle!) but much more manageable AFAIK, but I don't mind a loud car, you know, since it's faster than an e63s!

Good luck!

Last edited by nota_amg; 09-08-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:15 PM

2013 SL550 BiTurbo
Originally Posted by PhuongNguyen
I chopped off the rear mufflers and rear box resonator and added an x pipe and it sounds good. But still tame. Might do catless downpipes next.
have the other resonator removed before investing in downpipes...it makes a huge difference.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:43 PM

2013 E550 coupe
Originally Posted by nota_amg
If you don't want it too loud, just remove the mufflers. Removing one of the resonators will not do anything(there are 2 resonators and only 2 cats, there are No pre-cats).

I originally did a "muffler delete" when I got my car and it was just right as far as a daily driver without being annoying. Since the muffler"tips" are fake and attached to the bumper, you can just have 2.5" pipe added where mufflers are and have them crimp the end of the pipe slightly to mimic the stock tips on the stock mufflers so the exhaust is directed thru the "tips". The AMG mufflers are stupid expensive($800 used?!?) and not worth it in my opinion.

Straight-piped is loud and sounds great, but may be a bit much for you if you don't want it loud. I did 3" catless downpipes and dumps under the car and it was absolutely horrible. WAY too loud and sounded like a truck(Covid hit and shut everything down, so I couldn't get it finished for about 6 weeks. I then addae an x-pipe and some cherry bomb 3" 3-chamber mufflers. It is still loud(especially when in the throttle!) but much more manageable AFAIK, but I don't mind a loud car, you know, since it's faster than an e63s!

Good luck!
catless with dumps? So basically nothing at all to idle the sound besides the turbos? I bet that was crazy loud lol
Old 09-08-2020, 07:44 PM

2013 E550 coupe
Originally Posted by nota_amg
have the other resonator removed before investing in downpipes...it makes a huge difference.
I already removed the rear box resonator. Still has the two front bulb resonators. I was just gonna gut the cats themselves, mainly for HP boost. And also added sound.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:02 PM

2013 SL550 BiTurbo
Originally Posted by PhuongNguyen
catless with dumps? So basically nothing at all to idle the sound besides the turbos? I bet that was crazy loud lol
Here ya go! 3" MBH Catless Downpipes, X-Pipe and dumps:
View this post on Instagram

Damn...I forgot how loud the turbos were!

Last edited by nota_amg; 09-09-2020 at 10:07 PM.