E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2015 E550 Convertible - new owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2021 | 12:08 AM

Mercedes E550 Cabriolet
2015 E550 Convertible - new owner

Hi community,
i recently bought one of my long time dream cars and I am very happy with it so far. However I am having a couple of questions where I would appreciate your help

1. When the transmission shifts back to 4th gear, it is pretty jerky. Especially when the transmission oil is still cold. Is this normal or something I should be worried about?

2. I am a bit disappointed by the ride quality and would have expected a more comfortable ride to be honest. Now, when switching the suspension from Normal to Sport I don’t really sense a difference. Is it possible that the car is constantly in Sport mode?

3. I live in Westchester, NY, about 20 minutes north of NYC. Do you have suggestions what MB repair shop to use?

Thank you very much
Juergen

The following 3 users liked this post by Juergen_NY:
Bailey5 (03-28-2021), C280 Sport (03-06-2021), Siegmann (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021 | 07:42 AM
Veteran: Air Force

13 E550 Coupe & 99 C280
Congrats!! Beautiful car ! I have a 13 Coupe and I don't feel any noticable difference in E or S. I do feel a difference in shift points and the overall powerband. My shifts up and down are smooth as silk, I'd have that looked at. When I moved from Seattle to Huntsville, Alabama I had the previous Indy shop owner call his WorldPac parts distributor and find out which Indy in Huntsville had the biggest account and paid their bill. I got 2 shops and visited each and basically treated the visit as a job interview. It's worked out great........Good luck!!
The following users liked this post:
Juergen_NY (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021 | 08:09 AM

2019 E300 4matic
Search online about how to reset the transmission. Mercedes-Benz 7 Gtronic plus transmissions adapt to your driving but sometimes they need a hard reset.

when you say sport or comfort are you talking about sir suspension? Most have a marked difference between the two

if your talking about the transmission the only difference between sport and comfort on mine is that sport starts in first gear and comfort starts in second.
Old 03-04-2021 | 08:11 AM

2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
I'm sorry that I have no input related to your transmission concern, but regarding the ride quality, are you sure the drive mode selector in your car is supposed to affect the suspension (in my e400, it does not)? Unless you have an adjustable suspension, the drive mode feature only affects engine/transmission performance (and consequently, fuel mileage). Is the drive mode selector a pushbutton in the center console, alongside the COMAND rotary knob, with the letters "E > S > M" on it?

If so, I don't think there's any relation between this feature and the firmness of the ride. If you have the "AMG" package, your suspension will definitely be firmer than that of the standard "Luxury" package.

Last edited by Mr. Toad; 03-04-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-04-2021 | 10:20 AM

2015 Audi S4, 1982 Fiat Spyder, 2010 R350, 2013 E550 Cabriolet
I have a 2013 E550 Cab and don't notice any rough shifts or harsh ride. S mode changes the transmission shift points and also seems to adjust the throttle response. I think it does stiffen the suspension slightly, but is not the most noticeable aspect of S mode.
Old 03-04-2021 | 12:25 PM

E350 Cabriolet
Try lowering the tire pressure

My 2012 E350 Cab's ride was too harsh for me. I have the sport suspension option. I lowered the tire pressure by 2 psi all around. The ride is noticeably better, the in town mileage has remained at 25mpg and I am much happier with the car.

I see you are in Westchester. Many years ago an uncle of mine managed Oakland Pool in Rye. I was born in Port Chester. Many good memories of Westchester.

Cheers
Old 03-04-2021 | 03:04 PM

2020 S 560 Cabriolet -2023 Demon 170 - 1961 Cadillac -2014 Cayman
Had a 2012 e550 cabriolet. Lowering the tire pressure was the only thing I found that made the ride a tiny bit better. Loved everything about that car except the harsh ride. You can get try to used to it, or solve the problem like I did, by buying a 2020 S Cabriolet. Problem solved
The following users liked this post:
chopsticksonly (03-09-2021)
Old 03-04-2021 | 07:59 PM

Mercedes E550 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Greg B.
Had a 2012 e550 cabriolet. Lowering the tire pressure was the only thing I found that made the ride a tiny bit better. Loved everything about that car except the harsh ride. You can get try to used to it, or solve the problem like I did, by buying a 2020 S Cabriolet. Problem solved
Haha, best solution ever. Enjoy your new car and the smooth ride.
Old 03-04-2021 | 10:48 PM

Mercedes E550 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by E350_Sport
Search online about how to reset the transmission. Mercedes-Benz 7 Gtronic plus transmissions adapt to your driving but sometimes they need a hard reset.

when you say sport or comfort are you talking about sir suspension? Most have a marked difference between the two

if your talking about the transmission the only difference between sport and comfort on mine is that sport starts in first gear and comfort starts in second.
Thank you for the hint.
I was trying to reset the transmission earlier today (20 seconds on the gas pedal while ignition is on and waiting for 2 minutes afterwards), but didn’t help unfortunately.

With Sport and Comfort I was referring to the suspension. Don’t feel any difference between the two modes.

Again, thank you for your help.
Old 03-04-2021 | 10:54 PM

Mercedes E550 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by gforaker
I have a 2013 E550 Cab and don't notice any rough shifts or harsh ride. S mode changes the transmission shift points and also seems to adjust the throttle response. I think it does stiffen the suspension slightly, but is not the most noticeable aspect of S mode.
Thank you.
I was referring to the button right of the rotary knob. I think this should have an impact on ride quality, but at least I don’t feel any.

Button in the upper right
Old 03-04-2021 | 10:59 PM

Mercedes E550 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by habu55
My 2012 E350 Cab's ride was too harsh for me. I have the sport suspension option. I lowered the tire pressure by 2 psi all around. The ride is noticeably better, the in town mileage has remained at 25mpg and I am much happier with the car.

I see you are in Westchester. Many years ago an uncle of mine managed Oakland Pool in Rye. I was born in Port Chester. Many good memories of Westchester.

Cheers
thank you, will try lowering the tire pressure and check if that helps.

Living very close to Rye and I absolutely love this area.

Old 03-05-2021 | 05:37 AM
Veteran: Air Force

13 E550 Coupe & 99 C280
Originally Posted by Juergen_NY
Thank you.
I was referring to the button right of the rotary knob. I think this should have an impact on ride quality, but at least I don’t feel any.

Button in the upper right
Our 13's don't have that button......there's a gear shifter in the way!
Old 03-06-2021 | 12:24 PM

E350 Cabriolet
Original tire pressure

Juergen,

I just remembered ,when I picked up my car at the MB dealership the car rode very poorly. Discovered the some tech had inflated all the tires to 40psi (max on the sidewall). Be interesting to see what pressure you are running before lowering the pressure 2 psi on each tire from what the manual recommends.
Old 03-06-2021 | 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Keep in mind that it is a 4 seater cabriolet with a rag top. Not the recipe for a smooth ride. Have the same issue on my CLK Cab and noticed poor ride quality on every E Cabriolet or C Cabriolet I have driven. The structural integrity of the car is compromised with a soft top. The chassis is a C Class as well. While these are very nice cars the ride quality is not it’s strong suit. You have to buy the S Cabriolet you want that as it is heavier and has Airmatic.
Old 03-06-2021 | 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by Juergen_NY
Hi community,
i recently bought one of my long time dream cars and I am very happy with it so far. However I am having a couple of questions where I would appreciate your help

1. When the transmission shifts back to 4th gear, it is pretty jerky. Especially when the transmission oil is still cold. Is this normal or something I should be worried about?

2. I am a bit disappointed by the ride quality and would have expected a more comfortable ride to be honest. Now, when switching the suspension from Normal to Sport I don’t really sense a difference. Is it possible that the car is constantly in Sport mode?

3. I live in Westchester, NY, about 20 minutes north of NYC. Do you have suggestions what MB repair shop to use?

Thank you very much
Juergen

Beautiful!
Old 03-08-2021 | 01:40 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG Sold 2010 E550 Coupe totaled '13 SL550 current and loving it!
I am originally from Westchester, but moved to Miami Beach 5yrs ago.
Old 03-13-2021 | 10:20 AM

E-550 Convertible
Hi Jergen NY,

I have a 2014 E550 Cab I bought new. To respond to your questions-
1. When shifting this car is smooth as silk. There should not be any jerking what so ever.
2. The ride is also very smooth. Buttons you are referring to in a later post- E-S-M effects the shift pattern. When in E mode Economy it starts in 2nd gear and upshifts at lower RPM to help save fuel and give a bit smoother takeoff from a stop. S Starts in 1st gear and shift points will be at a higher rpm which allows the turbos to spin up and provide the highest Horsepower thus greater acceleration. M is Manuel shift allowing you to use the shifter paddles.
The other button for Comfort and Sport effects the ride. If you have the dynamic handling package, sport mode will stiffen the suspension you will see the description of this system on page 203 in your owners manual.
3. I really can't provide you with where to bring your vehicle for maintenance or repair. Just to qualify my response my father owned a repair shop for just over 50 years and I worked with him for a few of those years. I now have a company with just over 150 vehicles some of which are German made. Mercedes or (Daimler) does not share their repair secrets very well. They want you to bring your car, bus, truck back to the Dealership for repair. Some private shops have invested in the software or trade secrets (very expensive) but can be hard to find. What I would suggest is bringing it to a Mercedes dealership and tell them what the symptoms are and let them tell you what they find. You don't have to have it repaired at that time but gives you the information and time to think it through.

Sorry this is so long, I sincerely hope the outcome is positive for you. Any way you look at it you have invested in a beautiful car that I can tell you should drive and perform at a very high level.

Good luck
JB
Old 11-26-2023 | 10:56 AM

w166, s222
Originally Posted by TEAsE550
Congrats!! Beautiful car ! I have a 13 Coupe and I don't feel any noticable difference in E or S. I do feel a difference in shift points and the overall powerband. My shifts up and down are smooth as silk, I'd have that looked at. When I moved from Seattle to Huntsville, Alabama I had the previous Indy shop owner call his WorldPac parts distributor and find out which Indy in Huntsville had the biggest account and paid their bill. I got 2 shops and visited each and basically treated the visit as a job interview. It's worked out great........Good luck!!
Which indy shops did you find in the Huntsville area?