E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Eco Start/Stop Unique Question..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E400 4M Coupe
Eco Start/Stop Unique Question..

I'm new here, but not new to the topic as I've done lots of research on this and haven't come across anyone who asked this question specifically. What I am looking to achieve is, when I am in park and just idling, is it possible to engage the ECO START/STOP function so that the engine doesn't run needlessly while I am parked for a prolonged period of time. Feel like this should be a no-brainer but it doesn't work for me.
My apologies if I've placed this thread in the wrong section. I just simple search for my car's category.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 184 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21
Originally Posted by getrektm8
I'm new here, but not new to the topic as I've done lots of research on this and haven't come across anyone who asked this question specifically. What I am looking to achieve is, when I am in park and just idling, is it possible to engage the ECO START/STOP function so that the engine doesn't run needlessly while I am parked for a prolonged period of time. Feel like this should be a no-brainer but it doesn't work for me.
My apologies if I've placed this thread in the wrong section. I just simple search for my car's category.
Why not just turn the car off and put in accessory mode if you want the radio on?
Old 03-12-2021, 12:08 PM

E400 4M Coupe
Originally Posted by Elvisfan0108
Why not just turn the car off and put in accessory mode if you want the radio on?
I supposed I don't understand the function in its entirety then. Perhaps turning off the car would be equivalent to being parked with Eco Start/Stop activated ? It never occurred to me.. So if that's the case, then problem solved. However, I was just thinking about how I want all of my functions and conveniences available as if the car was on, just simply minus the idling, emissions, and gas guzzling part off. Hopefully that makes sense.
Would the battery drainage/strain on it be the same if comparing car off with accessory mode on or in Eco Start/Stop mode? hmm..
Old 03-12-2021, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I supposed I don't understand the function in its entirety then. Perhaps turning off the car would be equivalent to being parked with Eco Start/Stop activated ? It never occurred to me.. So if that's the case, then problem solved. However, I was just thinking about how I want all of my functions and conveniences available as if the car was on, just simply minus the idling, emissions, and gas guzzling part off. Hopefully that makes sense.
Would the battery drainage/strain on it be the same if comparing car off with accessory mode on or in Eco Start/Stop mode? hmm..
You are overthinking this. Just put the car in accessory mode.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:23 PM

E400 4M Coupe
You are overthinking this. Just put the car in accessory mode.
Probably. I've been known to do that. But I am still curious about the questions I posed in the previous comment. But yea, you're probably right.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Probably. I've been known to do that. But I am still curious about the questions I posed in the previous comment. But yea, you're probably right.
ok, I’ll play along. What functions, outside of the radio would you need?
Old 03-12-2021, 03:40 PM

E400 4M Coupe
ok, I’ll play along. What functions, outside of the radio would you need?
Well, everything really. I see what you were getting at. Like I said before, you're probably right. The accessory mode probably is exactly the same as if I were in park with the Eco Start/Stop. It just never occurred to me probably because I thought there was a difference but the more I thought about it I suppose there isn't. Probably the biggest thing would be the AC aside from the infotainment screen. But again, that drains the battery in accessory mode just as well as it probably does when the engine shuts off.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 501 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Owners Manual explains what is needed for the ECO engine stop/start thing to work.

Lots of variables... check it out very informative.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,430 Likes on 3,149 Posts
'71 Pinto
As soon as the on-board electrical system management is no longer able to ensure on-board electrical system stability, the rear SAM control unit sends an engine start request to front SAM and on to CDI control unit or ME control unit that starts the engine. Following this if stability can still not be assured, the engine is no longer switched off, Start-Stop function is switched off.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Toad (03-15-2021)