E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Dashcam, fuse box wiring diagram?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 08:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2019 E450 4MATIC Cabrio
Dashcam, fuse box wiring diagram?

Just got my E450A Cab yesterday and am as giddy as a teenager. I was never one to really get into driving but wanted a convertible and now I'm ecstatic about driving... to the point of wanting to just go out with no particular place to go. And I'm 6'8" and fit incredibly comfy in a convertible, which is amazing.

So I went online today and bought a full 4K dashcam set, floormat liners, sun visor... but I have some questions on fuses. The Blackvue DS900-2CH I ordered can use a spare battery so it doesn't kill the main battery, that also can be hardwired to charge itself from a fuse panel, but the passenger footwell box and the trunk fusebox both lack a fuse diagram or inventory paper, such as I read was supposed to be there on other threads in other forums. Since this is still a relatively new car, I can't easily find fuse diagrams online.

I tested all the fuses in the passenger footwell with a multimeter and all of them are constant on, so I can't charge the battery from them (must be an ACC fuse). I read on other forums that the fuse box in W213 in the trunk has up to 4 switched/ACC 15A fuses for cigarette lighter outlets. I found 2 of them and plan on testing those next, but was wondering if anyone knows if the fuse diagrams are available somewhere as a double check or if anyone has an E450 with a similar, hardwired ACC fuse requirement that's validated the same thing. Don't want to kill my beautiful new baby's battery so early in its life...

Would appreciate a double check... may post pics once done if anyone is interested.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E class Coupe 200
Hello,
I have a Coupe version and I just finished installing a daschcam on mine. I used the fuse box in the trunk as - as you say, - the one on the passenger's side seems to be always ON. Please note that there is a small fuse map folded on the side of the fuse box.
I was originally going to install my dashcam on the rear cigar lighter fuse, when I realized that the non-populated trunk cigar lighter plug was powered, and used it. Of course, it requires the dashcam power cable to be quite long.

Good luck with your install !
The following users liked this post:
Not2Tall4Cab (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 08:36 AM

2019 E450 4MATIC Cabrio
Hey there, thanks for your reply... so, I went to the trunk as well (the rear camera cable went fine but the power cable barely made it to behind the rear seat so the battery pack will go there, not like I'm going to be dropping the seats ever). Found the pink bay with the fuses of choice and tapped the front passenger socket one, though you are correct that there should be at least 4 spots for switched fuses and only 2 are occupied on mine (front passenger footwell and rear seat center console plugs).

You say there's a folded up paper on the side of the fuse box... which one, the trunk or passenger footwell? I searched both and couldn't find such a paper in either location.

Now, I'm just hoping that how I ran the two cables (along the inside of the windshield down to the dash) stays in place and doesn't drop down. I'd hate to have to re-run them an alternate way. Also have to make a call on whether to mount the rear camera behind the rear passenger headrest (more concealed and slightly higher up) or behind the rear air dam (centered but lower and more exposed cable)... probably the former.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:40 AM

2019 E450 4MATIC Cabrio
Oh and one other quick question... where did you tie in to ground? I tried using the screw that secures the rear carpet to the chassis in the center but it's galvanized and the metal underneath is painted, meaning that it's not ideal for ground termination (and my battery pack refuses to charge using it)...
Old 01-16-2019, 09:32 AM

E class Coupe 200
Hello, the folded diagram is to the right of the rear fuse box.
On the coupe, the 2 fuses for the sockets are the middle ones, rated 15A. The one reserved for the trunk socket is the empty slot closest to the rear of the car, and it's where I plugged in.
As for the ground, I took it from one of the screws securing the computer unit (?) The metal box to the left of the rear fuse box.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:44 PM

2019 E450 4MATIC Cabrio
Found it

It was in my rear (trunk) fuse box space under the floor mat, mine was on the left side of the fuse panel and one has to reeeeeaaaalllly reeeeeaaach to get to it.

Found an alternative lug on my trunk base under the carpet that was machined for a screw or bolt but didn't have one, so I went to Lowe's and got some M6 right thread screws and put my ground on it.

Now I have 4k camera forward monitoring all the time and FHD for the rear, and the hard wiring allows the camera battery pack to charge at a blistering rate of 117W (13V @9A) when the car is running.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:14 PM

E class Coupe 200
Great ! I'm glad You got everything set !
Old 01-16-2019, 09:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 E550 Coupe
Curious, what dash cams did you guys use? I've been searching and too many to choose from.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:56 AM

2019 E450 4MATIC Cabrio
Mine is the Blackvue 900 2 channel, with a B124 accessory battery for park mode. It's pricey but overall one of the best.

if you go to blackboxmycar on the web they have all the latest models, you can research them there.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 E450 Coupe 4Matic; 2018 Audi Q5; 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
How do you guys run the dashcam wire from the windshield to the trunk?

Do you guys have to remove the weatherstrips from the A-pillar to the back? As I know, there are curtain airbags there.

Please advise, thanks.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:40 PM

2019 E450 4MATIC Cabrio
Originally Posted by Ultraman
How do you guys run the dashcam wire from the windshield to the trunk?

Do you guys have to remove the weatherstrips from the A-pillar to the back? As I know, there are curtain airbags there.

Please advise, thanks.
I ran the rear camera wire to the right, inside the windshield, down to where it meets the dash, there's a slight gap there which I followed to the mouldings that run along the bottom of the door. Followed that back to the rear seat where I went up the seat where it folds down and mounted the rear camera behind the air dam.

For power it was similar but along the left side, and the length of the cable coincidentally ran to just behind the driver side rear seat. I put the battery there in the area between the rear seat and the trunk, and ran its charging wires to the trunk fuse panel. Though, the battery failed in 8 months, I just had to RMA it and I think they just sent me the same one back...

Anyways, at no time did I remove weatherstripping or go near air bags. But I'm in a cabriolet so there's less chance of that due to me not running the cables up high.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:00 PM

Oh, I see. You are running the cable from the windshield then down to the A-pillar, then run along the bottom mounding, and then to the trunk. Correct me if I am wrong.

Usually, the cable provided from the dashcam is about 10 feet. Do you need to get an extra long cable?

Regarding the A-pillar cover, how did you remove it? Did they have any plastic clips there?

In addition, you said the cable was tucked behind the mounding, was it easy to hide the wire there?

Regarding the power supply, I just need to buy a dual fuse tap connect to the power outlet fuse. That is the dashcam will totally switch off when I turn off the car.

I just need a very simple setup, which fuse from the trunk control the power outlet? I think usually it is a 15A fuse.

I am thinking using a 12v to 5v power converter (my dashcam is a Viofo A119 using 5v power) and tap the power from the power sunroof button at the front overhead console. Do you guys think it is possible?

Last edited by Ultraman; 09-23-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:35 PM

2019 E450 4MATIC Cabrio
Didn't remove anything with the A-pillar. Just ran the cable along the inside of it where it met the windshield, then did a u-turn and came back along the seam between the dash and the side panel. The only part I removed was the piece along the door, which flares out a bit under the foot well, to get the cable along the doorway's bottom. It was very easy to hide the wire, and so far (knock on wood) it hasn't fallen out from just being "smushed" into the place where the roof or A pillar meet the windshield.

The rear camera cable was plenty long enough to go around the windshield on the right, down to the passenger foot well, along to the rear of the car, behind the rear seat, up to the rear deck, and across the width of the car to a place behind the rear driver's side head rest. The power cable was a bit shorter, only making it (barely) to the rear of the drier's side rear seat, after following the driver's windshield down and along the driver's door bottom. But the advantage to it being that length is that if the battery fails again, and I don't want to bother re-running any cables, the power cable ends in a power outlet, so all I have to do is shimmy it out from behind the rear driver's seat and go behind the driver's seat to the power outlet in the center rear behind the center console for the front passengers (which is what I've been doing since the battery was dead; the camera now just turns on and off with the car).

hth!
Old 09-28-2019, 12:20 AM

How did you remove plastic door mounding? Did you get pull it right up?

Do you know the front headliner can able for me to pull down at least half inch so that I can tuck in the power converter inside?

I iwill only install the front dashcam and buy a 12v to 5v power converter to power up my Viofo dashcam. The factory power cable came with the dashcam is too short for this installation.

The power converter cable that I will use is this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00U2DGHP2/?coliid=I2INBX47DRVH1K&colid=8WXSID7XBIHD&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00U2DGHP2/?coliid=I2INBX47DRVH1K&colid=8WXSID7XBIHD&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I believe the total length of the power cable should be more than 10 feet if I run the cable from windshield to the trunk fuse box. I will also need a 2amp fuse and a dual fuse tap installed between the power cable and the trunk fuse box. The fuse that I will tap is the cigarette (or 12v power outlet) fuse. I just want to turn on the dashcam when I am running car and in the accessory mode.

I think I have an idea how to do the dashcam installation, thanks for you help.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:50 AM

2019 E450 4MATIC Cabrio
Originally Posted by Not2Tall4Cab
Just got my E450A Cab yesterday and am as giddy as a teenager. I was never one to really get into driving but wanted a convertible and now I'm ecstatic about driving... to the point of wanting to just go out with no particular place to go. And I'm 6'8" and fit incredibly comfy in a convertible, which is amazing.

So I went online today and bought a full 4K dashcam set, floormat liners, sun visor... but I have some questions on fuses. The Blackvue DS900-2CH I ordered can use a spare battery so it doesn't kill the main battery, that also can be hardwired to charge itself from a fuse panel, but the passenger footwell box and the trunk fusebox both lack a fuse diagram or inventory paper, such as I read was supposed to be there on other threads in other forums. Since this is still a relatively new car, I can't easily find fuse diagrams online.

I tested all the fuses in the passenger footwell with a multimeter and all of them are constant on, so I can't charge the battery from them (must be an ACC fuse). I read on other forums that the fuse box in W213 in the trunk has up to 4 switched/ACC 15A fuses for cigarette lighter outlets. I found 2 of them and plan on testing those next, but was wondering if anyone knows if the fuse diagrams are available somewhere as a double check or if anyone has an E450 with a similar, hardwired ACC fuse requirement that's validated the same thing. Don't want to kill my beautiful new baby's battery so early in its life...

Would appreciate a double check... may post pics once done if anyone is interested.
For pulling up the moulding, it just came up... I was tucking the cable in with evidently a bit of gusto and it popped right up.

Passenger footwell is constant on for all fuses. In the trunk, there were only a few switches fuses, i ended up using the one for the power plug for the rear seats that is in the center console. As I note in my thread responses, the fuse map thingy is tucked way back and was very hard to reach.

For grounding there was an unused bolt/screw hole about smack dab in the middle of the trunk that I used... since all the metal, even under cover, is coated, I couldn't use that for ground because the coating is nonconductive.

As for cord length, I would only be concerned about extending a rear camera cord. As long as you use sufficient AWG cable and seal/solder it properly, it should work just fine for power.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:02 AM

Great thanks. Your advise is very useful.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:20 PM

I just picked up my new E450 Coupe this morning.

I found there was a 12v power outlet near the glove box at the passenger side. I checked the fuse diagram and this 12v power outlet had a fuse under the passenger footwell cover. It was 7.5A mini fuse (fuse number 133).

I am thinking get the power from this fuse since I have only a front dashcam. When the car starts, this 12v power outlet turns on unless I exit the vehicle with the ignition off. This does the same of the power outlet in the rear ashtray compartment.

I tried to pull down the front headliner a little bit to tuck in the 12v to 5 v converter but it seemed too tight to pull down to fit the converter in.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:57 AM

Quick question for you guys.

I found the fuse diagram inside the trunk. However, the picture of the fuse chart shows the e-class sedan.

Did I get the wrong fuse chart? Is the picture supposed to be the Coupe?

Also, I found there was a 12v outlet under the glove compartment. Is it possible to tap the power from there?

Please advise, thanks.

Last edited by Ultraman; 10-16-2019 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:31 AM

I just finished installed the dashcam.

I just tapped the power from the 12v outlet under the glove compartment.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
E450 4Matic Cabrio
How’s it working?

Ultraman, I’ll be picking up my ordered 2020 E450 4Matic Cabriolet in mid to end December and am strongly leaning towards the Viofo A119 V3. I believe you’ve had yours about a month now and was wondering if you could provide an update on your thoughts about it. Also how is the footwell power source working?
thanks very much.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:40 PM

I used a 12v to 5v adapter that I bought from amazon to power up the dashcam. The adapter has only 2 wires, one is power and the other one is ground.

I get the power from the 12v outlet under the glove box (you have to lower the plastic panel under the glove box to tap the 12v wires). My dashcam turns on when I started the car and off when I turned off the car. I just need a simple setup.

All the fuses near the footwell fuses are permanent.

I want to get a Viofo v3 as well and I am waiting it on sale during the Boxing Day. Actually, I want to get the Viofo A129 but the reviews are not very good due to the WiFi andphone connection. As a result, I will get a Viofo V3 only if it is on sale. My V1 is still working without any problems. I have the V1 more than 4 years.

The one that I am using now is the version 1. No problem at all except my dashcam has low resolution.

If you want to have your car enable the pRking mode, you need to run the wires all the wall to the trunk fuses to tap the accessory fuse.

We have a member here who did it without any problems.

Last edited by Ultraman; 11-25-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
C238 E220D 4Matic
Help

Originally Posted by Ultraman
I just finished installed the dashcam.

I just tapped the power from the 12v outlet under the glove compartment.
Does the unit switch on and off with the ignition? and could you post a picture of which wire you tapped into
Old 01-22-2020, 11:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
C238 E220D 4Matic
Fuse

Originally Posted by Not2Tall4Cab
Didn't remove anything with the A-pillar. Just ran the cable along the inside of it where it met the windshield, then did a u-turn and came back along the seam between the dash and the side panel. The only part I removed was the piece along the door, which flares out a bit under the foot well, to get the cable along the doorway's bottom. It was very easy to hide the wire, and so far (knock on wood) it hasn't fallen out from just being "smushed" into the place where the roof or A pillar meet the windshield.

The rear camera cable was plenty long enough to go around the windshield on the right, down to the passenger foot well, along to the rear of the car, behind the rear seat, up to the rear deck, and across the width of the car to a place behind the rear driver's side head rest. The power cable was a bit shorter, only making it (barely) to the rear of the drier's side rear seat, after following the driver's windshield down and along the driver's door bottom. But the advantage to it being that length is that if the battery fails again, and I don't want to bother re-running any cables, the power cable ends in a power outlet, so all I have to do is shimmy it out from behind the rear driver's seat and go behind the driver's seat to the power outlet in the center rear behind the center console for the front passengers (which is what I've been doing since the battery was dead; the camera now just turns on and off with the car).

hth!
Please could you post a picture of the fuse that you used to connect to?

Old 01-22-2020, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by tonynufc
Does the unit switch on and off with the ignition? and could you post a picture of which wire you tapped into
Yes, the dashcam turns ON when I turned the ignition on and off when I turned the ignition off.

There are only 2 wires behind the 12v outlet, you will see which one is positive and ground.

Sorry, I cannot take any pictures of the wires because, it will take me time to remove the screws and the lower panel under the glove box. It is very cold in the garage now.

You will see the wires from the outlet once you removed the lower panel.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
E450 4Matic Cabrio
So I ended up getting the Anker Roav S1. It comes with a tool for running the wire under the moldings. It also has a cigarette lighter adapter with 2 USB ports on it. I mounted the camera to the left side of the mirror then ran the wire down the right side and am using the 12 Volt source in the passenger footwell. It powers on with the car and off a minute after. So far, I’m very pleased with it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dashcam, fuse box wiring diagram?