E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Multibeam LED Capabilities in the US

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 08:33 AM

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E53 Coupe
Multibeam LED Capabilities in the US

I’ve been doing some research in an attempt to find out exactly what headlight technology is in our 2019 E Coupes and Cabriolets with the “Exterior Lighting Package – LED Intelligent Light System and Adaptive Highbeam Assist.” I haven’t been able to get a definitive answer from my dealer or MB online support.

My understanding (and hope) is that the headlights in the 2019 E Coupes and Cabriolets with the Exterior Lighting Package are the full Multibeam LED with 84 individual LEDs as available in Europe (the headlights are labeled “MULTIBEAM LED”), but no one can confirm this. It appears that some of the capabilities of the headlights and system are disabled in the USA due to NHTSA regulations, specifically the ability to leave the high beam on all the time and let the lights automatically dim only the areas necessary not to blind oncoming cars, cars in front, or to reduce roadside glare from signs. Current regulations only allow the automatic high beam system to turn the high beams on or off, not adjust individual areas. It sounds as if NHTSA is ready to change the regulations to allow this Adaptive Driving Beam Technology. The comment period for the regulation change ended in December 2018. https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ated-equipment

There are many MB websites that explain the E Class Multibeam LED lighting. They do a great job of explaining the technology and capabilities. None mention reduced capabilities in the USA. Here is a very good description of how the lighting system should work. https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mer...uture-e-class/

The added safety provided by the MULTIBEAM LED technology becomes apparent above all in real traffic situations: in contrast to static high-beam systems, some of which have long ranges, MULTIBEAM LED also supports the driver when there are other vehicles in the field illuminated by the headlamps. Because it masks these out of its light distribution specifically within a fraction of a second, it is possible to drive with main beam switched on at all times. This assures the driver of the best possible light performance at all times, without dazzling other road users.”

I guess the main question is, do we have the same headlight hardware that they have in Europe, only with some reduced capabilities due to regulations? If that’s the case, is it just a matter of activating the full capabilities in the software if the regulations are changed to allow this technology in the US?

Old 05-16-2019, 05:50 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
Originally Posted by BenzC400
I’ve been doing some research in an attempt to find out exactly what headlight technology is in our 2019 E Coupes and Cabriolets with the “Exterior Lighting Package – LED Intelligent Light System and Adaptive Highbeam Assist.” I haven’t been able to get a definitive answer from my dealer or MB online support.

My understanding (and hope) is that the headlights in the 2019 E Coupes and Cabriolets with the Exterior Lighting Package are the full Multibeam LED with 84 individual LEDs as available in Europe (the headlights are labeled “MULTIBEAM LED”), but no one can confirm this. It appears that some of the capabilities of the headlights and system are disabled in the USA due to NHTSA regulations, specifically the ability to leave the high beam on all the time and let the lights automatically dim only the areas necessary not to blind oncoming cars, cars in front, or to reduce roadside glare from signs. Current regulations only allow the automatic high beam system to turn the high beams on or off, not adjust individual areas. It sounds as if NHTSA is ready to change the regulations to allow this Adaptive Driving Beam Technology. The comment period for the regulation change ended in December 2018. https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ated-equipment

There are many MB websites that explain the E Class Multibeam LED lighting. They do a great job of explaining the technology and capabilities. None mention reduced capabilities in the USA. Here is a very good description of how the lighting system should work. https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mer...uture-e-class/

The added safety provided by the MULTIBEAM LED technology becomes apparent above all in real traffic situations: in contrast to static high-beam systems, some of which have long ranges, MULTIBEAM LED also supports the driver when there are other vehicles in the field illuminated by the headlamps. Because it masks these out of its light distribution specifically within a fraction of a second, it is possible to drive with main beam switched on at all times. This assures the driver of the best possible light performance at all times, without dazzling other road users.”

I guess the main question is, do we have the same headlight hardware that they have in Europe, only with some reduced capabilities due to regulations? If that’s the case, is it just a matter of activating the full capabilities in the software if the regulations are changed to allow this technology in the US?
I would love to know this, too. But $50 says that even if it IS the same hardware with crippled software, MB’s answer will be to just buy a new car — no software update.
The following users liked this post:
mustangn8 (03-30-2021)
Old 05-16-2019, 06:05 PM

2019 E53 Coupe
Originally Posted by sackboydad
I would love to know this, too. But $50 says that even if it IS the same hardware with crippled software, MB’s answer will be to just buy a new car — no software update.
If it’s the same hardware, you’d think it would be as easy as turning something on in configuration settings to make it work. The software should already be installed, just not turned on. I agree with you though that MB is very reluctant to update software. Maybe they’ve loosened a bit with the introduction of over-the-air update capability. Remote parking is the same situation. It’s available in other countries. Should be a matter of activating it in our cars if and when regulations allow.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Regulations in the US already allow for remote parking. Tesla and BMW have offered this feature in many of their cars for several years now. I don’t understand why Mercedes has not activated this feature for their US cars.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:46 PM

2019 E53 Coupe
I emailed MB support about multibeam headlights. Originally they said that my headlights were not mulitibeam headlights. When I pointed out that they are labeled “MULTIBEAM LED” (and sent a picture), this is what they said:

Thank you for your additional email.

While you are certainly correct, the labeling does state"Multibeam LED", we have verified with our product team that the U.S. does not support this function (nor is it advertised as such). It is confirmed your vehicles headlamps are and function as LED Intelligent Light System headlamps.

As we understand the confusion from the label stating otherwise, please be advised we have brought this to the attention of our product management team for internal review

We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Kind Regards,

Jennah H.
Mercedes-Benz USA
(800) 367-6372

I’m not really confident they know what the headlights are.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E300, C350
Mercedes MULTIBEAM LED Activator, OBD-2 plug-and play system

Originally Posted by BenzC400

I just stumbled across this and was wondering if anyone has even heard of it. Looks dubious.

Mercedes MULTIBEAM LED Activator, OBD-2 plug-and play system

by
LoweredBenz LoweredBenz
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089DQLV58/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B089DQLV58&pd_rd_w=NRTbU&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=blGAi&pf_rd_r=22MN0SA54NWPE5QZK2V0&pd_rd_r=479d6465-0769-4f9f-9e3e-3c2c6c5f698e&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSzhMU0pBUERROExYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDAwNzc1M1M3MzVSNFBGOUFRWiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTg1OTYzMU1VVDRNV0dBUzhFMCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU= https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089DQLV58/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B089DQLV58&pd_rd_w=NRTbU&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=blGAi&pf_rd_r=22MN0SA54NWPE5QZK2V0&pd_rd_r=479d6465-0769-4f9f-9e3e-3c2c6c5f698e&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSzhMU0pBUERROExYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDAwNzc1M1M3MzVSNFBGOUFRWiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTg1OTYzMU1VVDRNV0dBUzhFMCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 06-19-2020, 10:22 PM

Yes. I installed one last week and it works perfectly. I don't know about an amazon one, but Vladimir (seen around here) is great!

There were a couple hiccups with my installation and he assisted me and gave me new code right away to get it working.

You can PM him on this forum at: vladimir.cdi

Also, check out the last 20 or so posts on this thread... should answer all your questions..... https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...am-canada.html

Last edited by sackboydad; 06-19-2020 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 GLS
GLS 450 x167

Anyone successfully do this on 2020 GLS450?
Old 07-06-2020, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bayern
Anyone successfully do this on 2020 GLS450?
Vladimir offered to create it, if my wife was willing to test in her 2020 GLS450 ... but my wife is not adventurous:-). She will wait until it’s out there and proven.

but Vladimir seemed pretty confident he could make it work
Old 03-17-2021, 02:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Vladimir offered to create it, if my wife was willing to test in her 2020 GLS450 ... but my wife is not adventurous:-). She will wait until it’s out there and proven.

but Vladimir seemed pretty confident he could make it work

Any new info for releasing the Multibeam headlight capabilities on a W167?
Old 03-18-2021, 03:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2019 A220
Can we retire this?

Can we please retire this thread until multi beam is actually allowed in the US? I feel like it’s been recanted ad nauseam that it in fact is not available here.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
'22 E450 Cab Order Canceled, Tesla Model S; Telluride
Yes. I installed one last week and it works perfectly. I don't know about an amazon one, but Vladimir (seen around here) is great!

There were a couple hiccups with my installation and he assisted me and gave me new code right away to get it working.

You can PM him on this forum at: vladimir.cdi

Also, check out the last 20 or so posts on this thread... should answer all your questions..... https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...am-canada.html
Sounds great ... can you provide what the cost of the OBD2 module to unlock the feature? Do you need to order the upgraded lighting package for 2021 E-cab in order to enable this feature?
The following users liked this post:
mustangn8 (03-30-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 07:15 AM

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
18’ E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by TimInCA
Sounds great ... can you provide what the cost of the OBD2 module to unlock the feature? Do you need to order the upgraded lighting package for 2021 E-cab in order to enable this feature?
you will have to message Vladimir for his pricing.

I’m not sure what the multi-beams look like post refresh, but for pre refresh you need the following headlights:

There is a little plaque that says “Multibeam LED” , so I’m assuming the newer ones may have a similar indicator?

For anyone else that is unsure of their headlights, if you have the following I’m pretty sure these are incompatible and the standard headlights(non-Multibeam LED):

As you can see the projector lens is on the outer as opposed to the inner on the Multibeam as well as a different indicator.

Sorry I can’t be as much help for the post refresh models but I assume they have it branded on the headlights somewhere if they are Multibeam

Last edited by Jppatter; 04-04-2021 at 11:17 AM.