E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Coding Used Headlights To W238/W213 with DTS Monaco 9.02

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W238
Coding Used Headlights To W238/W213 with DTS Monaco 9.02

Hi Guys,

I have W238 which required both headlights including the ballast/modules replacing. So I have bought two used headlights including the modules. The headlights are working fine, so I have the DRL, Dipped beam, High beam, Turn signals all working. But I get right dipped beam, left dipped beam and intelligent light system warnings on the dash. (Note: The used headlight are ILS)

The DTC 's are

"Control module for LED driving lamps actuation module is faulty. An incorrect or incompatible configuration was identified"

and

"Control module for LED driving lamps actuation module is faulty. The function or the instruction is faulty."

Another side note the left headlight does the welcome light show when you turn on the ignition but the right one doesn't.

My questions are:
  • I am wondering can I code the headlights using DTS Monaco 9.02? If yes, how can I do this? (Can anybody assist me please?)
  • I have been reading on the net that I would have had to save the coding data from the previous modules and copy them over to the current used ones on the car, is that correct? (But they are faulty.)
  • Is online scn coding the only option?
  • Also how many different ways is there to do this type of coding?

All help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much!
Old 02-05-2024, 01:11 PM
SPONSOR

Received 845 Likes on 655 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by wolf38
Hi Guys,

I have W238 which required both headlights including the ballast/modules replacing. So I have bought two used headlights including the modules. The headlights are working fine, so I have the DRL, Dipped beam, High beam, Turn signals all working. But I get right dipped beam, left dipped beam and intelligent light system warnings on the dash. (Note: The used headlight are ILS)

The DTC 's are

"Control module for LED driving lamps actuation module is faulty. An incorrect or incompatible configuration was identified"

and

"Control module for LED driving lamps actuation module is faulty. The function or the instruction is faulty."

Another side note the left headlight does the welcome light show when you turn on the ignition but the right one doesn't.

My questions are:
  • I am wondering can I code the headlights using DTS Monaco 9.02? If yes, how can I do this? (Can anybody assist me please?)
  • I have been reading on the net that I would have had to save the coding data from the previous modules and copy them over to the current used ones on the car, is that correct? (But they are faulty.)
  • Is online scn coding the only option?
  • Also how many different ways is there to do this type of coding?

All help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much!

I can do it. this it not something for amateurs
Old 03-11-2024, 09:38 AM

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
@BenzNinja I have a problem with the left headlamp on my 2018 S560 (VIN: WDDXJ8GB8JA032861) throwing multiple fault codes (see attached).

The headlamps, turn signals, parking lights, etc. all work and I can see the headlamp startup movement on both lights when they turn on. But the high beam assist is reported as inoperative, and I'm pretty sure that other ILS features, like cornering, are non-functional as well.

This car has the 608 and 640 build options for ILS.

Before just replacing the control module I thought it might be worthwhile to re-do the SCN coding for the headlamps to see if that fixes the problem. I have physically checked the headlamps and there is no damage or signs of corrosion from water.

Is this worth trying or should I just replace the module?

Thanks.
Attached Files
Old 03-11-2024, 10:18 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by jmattioni
@BenzNinja I have a problem with the left headlamp on my 2018 S560 (VIN: WDDXJ8GB8JA032861) throwing multiple fault codes (see attached).

The headlamps, turn signals, parking lights, etc. all work and I can see the headlamp startup movement on both lights when they turn on. But the high beam assist is reported as inoperative, and I'm pretty sure that other ILS features, like cornering, are non-functional as well.

This car has the 608 and 640 build options for ILS.

Before just replacing the control module I thought it might be worthwhile to re-do the SCN coding for the headlamps to see if that fixes the problem. I have physically checked the headlamps and there is no damage or signs of corrosion from water.

Is this worth trying or should I just replace the module?

Thanks.

on both lights?
Old 03-11-2024, 11:30 AM

2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
Originally Posted by BenzNinja
on both lights?
No, just the left headlight as the fault codes.
Old 03-11-2024, 12:25 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
No, just the left headlight as the fault codes.
ok
easy to find the problem

headlight if HLI has two modules
one for the light one for the Led

swap both right and left

if problem moves, swap only one back see if it moves

and you know

it's the light
the light module
or
the led module

coding doesn't change by miracle
Old 03-11-2024, 12:49 PM

2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
ok
easy to find the problem

headlight if HLI has two modules
one for the light one for the Led

swap both right and left

if problem moves, swap only one back see if it moves

and you know

it's the light
the light module
or
the led module

coding doesn't change by miracle
Based on part numbers, the two sides are not interchangeable.

The Xentry note (attached) is what led me to believe SCN coding might be worth trying before pulling the bumper to get to the lights. The fault they mention is in my list of faults.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MC-10136166-9999.pdf (32.7 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by jmattioni; 03-11-2024 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Add attachment
Old 03-11-2024, 01:32 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Based on part numbers, the two sides are not interchangeable.

give me your vin
Old 03-11-2024, 01:36 PM

2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
give me your vin
WDDXJ8GB8JA032861

The Xentry note (attached) is what led me to believe that SCN coding might be worth trying first before I pull the bumper to get to the lights.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MC-10136166-9999.pdf (32.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 03-11-2024, 01:42 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
just regular 222 lights you can swap for tests
but you can go coding at the dealer if you don't care to spend money
Old 03-11-2024, 03:08 PM

2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
@BenzNinja For future reference, can you do remote access via the VXDIAG VCX SE? If not, what do you recommend? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2024, 05:17 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
@BenzNinja For future reference, can you do remote access via the VXDIAG VCX SE? If not, what do you recommend? Thanks.
Hey
No sorry I need DTS monaco to work on cars and a proper VCI C4
Old 03-31-2024, 08:30 AM

2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
I took my S560 to the dealer and had them reflash and recode the headlights. They said there was a software update, which they applied to both headlights. This cleared up some of the faults, but two of them came back. Not surprising.

Yesterday I attempted to go into the headlight control module with my offline Xentry and it immediately tries to go online and, of course, fails to do that. If I continue past that error, it returns a cryptic message implying that the coding job wasn't finished. The issue appears to be with binning data missing. So, I'm guessing that the shop reflashed and SCN coded the modules but skipped the binning process. Attached is a screenshot of the cryptic message from my Xentry.

I'm scheduled to return to the shop next week to see if I can get them to finish the job. At the very least I want to be able to get into those modules again with my offline Xentry so I can continue to diagnose the problem. My concern now is that they lost the original binning data for the headlights when they flashed the new software. If MB central doesn't have a record of the original binning data then they'll need to pull the headlights to get to the QR codes. Probably should have just bought a new headlight.
Old 04-01-2024, 04:39 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
I took my S560 to the dealer and had them reflash and recode the headlights. They said there was a software update, which they applied to both headlights. This cleared up some of the faults, but two of them came back. Not surprising.

Yesterday I attempted to go into the headlight control module with my offline Xentry and it immediately tries to go online and, of course, fails to do that. If I continue past that error, it returns a cryptic message implying that the coding job wasn't finished. The issue appears to be with binning data missing. So, I'm guessing that the shop reflashed and SCN coded the modules but skipped the binning process. Attached is a screenshot of the cryptic message from my Xentry.

I'm scheduled to return to the shop next week to see if I can get them to finish the job. At the very least I want to be able to get into those modules again with my offline Xentry so I can continue to diagnose the problem. My concern now is that they lost the original binning data for the headlights when they flashed the new software. If MB central doesn't have a record of the original binning data then they'll need to pull the headlights to get to the QR codes. Probably should have just bought a new headlight.
maybe close to the price of a BenzNinja membership soon
all this is free for members
Old 04-04-2024, 09:06 AM

2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
maybe close to the price of a BenzNinja membership soon
all this is free for members
So I returned to the shop to see if there was an issue with their prior flashing/coding work on the headlights. The shop foreman did it himself and reported that their Xentry system had no problem and could get into the actuation, etc. on those modules. The good news is they did it for no charge. The bad news is that I still can't get into those modules to test with my offline Xentry.

I am now running a newer version of Xentry and it has the same issue, but it's a bit clearer about why. It basically says you must be logged in online. This is clearly something to do with the software update since before the modules were flashed I could get into them no problem.

Have you seen this at all on newer vehicles? I wonder if there's a patch for Xentry that will eliminate that restriction.