E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

Hello and problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300D,560SEL,SL500
Hello and problem

well let me say hello im not new the Benz world currently im driving a 83 300D tubro diesel or however its spelt i had a 220D early 70's (it been a while cant rember the exact year) and another 300D exactly like the one i got now. wish i would have kept it for parts my dad has a 560 sel and a sl500 that one day im going to steal from him lol

anyway my 300D had sit for almost two years when the need for the car came back suddenly so i with new glow plugs new revised priming pump new injector bypass hoses she fired up and began service.

now next week it was suposed to go to out mercedees mechanic to get his diesel tune up done on it but today it devloped it a problem that makes it almost undriveable

i went to pick up my kids about 70 miles away on the way back i started smelling a slight hint of oil burning not really thinking much of it i kept going the closer i got to the house the worse the oil pressure gauge started to fluxuiate i knew i was losing oil so when i got home i popped the hood and OMG

the entire engine bay is soaked with oil. now from what i can tell it looks like its coming from the front of the engine some were like half way down its getting on the fan and its slinging it everywere but there is so much i cant tell the exact location

has this happened to anyone maybe some of you can point me in the right direction

i searched the site but didnt come with any topic that had this problem thanks guys from what i have seen so far lots of good info on this site i like it
Old 10-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
An oil cooler hose broke. Replace both hoses.

If the engine still runs at all, you'll be extremely lucky.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:59 AM

300D,560SEL,SL500
it runs fine drove it to the carwash and cleaned the crap out of it but i think your right i think it is the upper cooler line i put more oil in it and drove it back home no problems it still fires up and runs fine

its going in monday to get this fixed valves adjusted and injectors cleaned
Old 10-18-2009, 09:57 AM

1982 300D TurboDiesel
Hey man, I had the same problem on my recently acquired '82 300D. The upper oil cooler line was shooting oil all over the place. Car still runs though.

The problem was my motor mounts. The previous owner had let general preventative maintenance go so far that both engine shocks had broken and both motor mounts were completely worn down. Upon driving the car home, I took a left turn, and of course since there wasn't much holding things in place the engine sorta leaned to the left and viola, one of the V-belts basically starting eating into my oil cooler line. Just like in your case, the oil smell got worse and worse. Have replaced the motor mounts, am waiting on the shocks to come in, and the oil cooler lines.

I guess, while you are at it make sure your support system is in place. It could've been just an old line, but you might have the same problems I did.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Banned

Both of you are very lucky. Running the engine without oil is the easiest way to kill these engines and an oil cooler hose failure is the fastest way for that to happen.

I averted disaster on my own engine soon after I bought it. This was what my lower cooler hose looked like.
Attached Thumbnails Hello and problem-oil-cooler-hose-lower2.jpg  

Last edited by 240D 3.0T; 10-18-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:25 PM

300D,560SEL,SL500
wow that looks nasty thanks for the heads up on the motor mount i will check that out to make sure there alright

it wasnt so much luck as paying attention to the gauges when the oil pressure started to get low i knew what was hapening and got it home before the worst happen and i made sure se had oil when i went to the car wash (a couple blocks away) and made sure it had oil before i left.

i pay real close attention to my cars for this reason
Old 10-19-2009, 12:46 AM
Banned

1984 300D,82 Volvo Diesel
As previously previously stated if the Engine mount colaspses it can allow one of the Pulleys to cut through the Oil Cooler Hose; even a new one.

Of course it could be the hose just leaked by itself due to age but check the Motor Mounts so that you do not ruin an expensive hose.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:37 AM
Banned

REPAIR LINKS
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/forumdisplay.php?f=82

http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/DoItYourSelf
Old 10-19-2009, 05:27 AM
Banned

Best to avoid that forum if you actually want to get something done.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:45 PM

300D,560SEL,SL500
well i was going to top of the oil and drive to the shop a couple miles away but i looked it over first and you guys were right, collapsed motor mount let the powert sterring pulley cut through the hose the hole has gotten worse so were having aaa come out tomorow and tow it to the shop

damn i cant wait to see how much this going to cost. oh well shouldnt have to do much to it for another couple years after this
Old 10-21-2009, 06:32 PM

300D,560SEL,SL500
well took it our MB mechanic today he hadnt seen the cars in about 3 years he took one look at and said what the hell did you guys to this poor car LOL anyway should be done by friday.

if you have one you let sit for a while or buy one that has had little use CHECK THE MOTOR MOUNTS before driving that is the cause of the v belt cutting the oil cooler lines engine is fine but now in addition to the 300 dollar diesl tune it needs new oil cooler lines and motor mounts so i wouldnt doubt that by the time everyhting is said and done i probably could have bought another one for the cost of fixing this one. but what can you do its totaly worth fixing and buying another just buys problems i know nothing about.

ive always sold these cars before anyhting was wrong with them this one i thinki will see if can get the magical million miles out of she got 377 on her now and im sure after the service is done its got another 100 in it before any other major problems.

hell were gonna run this till it wont go anymore we got to much invested in it now not to lol
Old 10-22-2009, 07:44 AM

1982 300D TurboDiesel
little advice, while you are having it done, have the guy inspect the engine shocks as well. if they were in proper order, this probably wouldn't have happened either. They aren't that expensive.

Its all one big issue. I suspect your engine shocks and motor mounts are both gone and need to be replace. Its a good time because to fix the line you would have to take all that crap out anyhow so if its bad let your guy *or do it yourself, I have in about 6 hrs total* do it while he's there. No point risking prematurely killing another motor mount and oil cooler hose.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:28 PM

300D,560SEL,SL500
Originally Posted by neosama
little advice, while you are having it done, have the guy inspect the engine shocks as well. if they were in proper order, this probably wouldn't have happened either. They aren't that expensive.

Its all one big issue. I suspect your engine shocks and motor mounts are both gone and need to be replace. Its a good time because to fix the line you would have to take all that crap out anyhow so if its bad let your guy *or do it yourself, I have in about 6 hrs total* do it while he's there. No point risking prematurely killing another motor mount and oil cooler hose.
yeah he is going to we basically told him go throught it if its bad fix it, he has 30 somthing years experince with these cars is why we take them to him. like i said we let this thing sit for 2 years we got other toys and didnt need it but always keept it around as back up, well last year when we needed it as a back up it wouldnt start so we forgot about till a few weeks ago when every car i had ganged up on me and died at the same time.

we were just hoping after we got the car going it would last a week or two till we get it in the shop to have all this done anyway but it couldnt.

its 100% my fault this car is in the shape it is in, but damn it if it wasnt such a boring car to drive, i know its a diesel commuter but MB could have done somthing to make it i dont know exciting or somthing lol
Old 10-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 240D 3.0T
Best to avoid that forum if you actually want to get something done.
Didn't I used to see your Avitar on that Peachparts formally Mercedesshop Forum?

In any event the Origional Poster can read and decide for himself if the Info is of value or not.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by olskool
yeah he is going to we basically told him go throught it if its bad fix it, he has 30 somthing years experince with these cars is why we take them to him. like i said we let this thing sit for 2 years we got other toys and didnt need it but always keept it around as back up, well last year when we needed it as a back up it wouldnt start so we forgot about till a few weeks ago when every car i had ganged up on me and died at the same time.

we were just hoping after we got the car going it would last a week or two till we get it in the shop to have all this done anyway but it couldnt.

its 100% my fault this car is in the shape it is in, but damn it if it wasnt such a boring car to drive, i know its a diesel commuter but MB could have done somthing to make it i dont know exciting or somthing lol
Unfortunately unless you can do the work like the "Diesel Tune-up" yourself as time passes you might well believe you have "sold your soul to the Devil".

I am curious to see if your Mechanic will be able to remove the Oil Cooler Lines from the Oil Cooler without stripping the Threads on the Oil Coolerl.
It happend to me; I lost the last 3 threads pn the upper hose connectionas the Aluminum Oil Cooler Nipple corrodes to the Oil Cooler Hose Nut.
If this does happen there is a repair for that; you do not have to buy a new Oil Cooler at $300+.
Old 06-21-2023, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 2006 CLS63, 2004 ML55, 2014 E350 sport
Jeez wrong thread sorry.