E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Major 300E modification project planned (5-speed, LSD, turbo, etc)... Tips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 Mercedes 300E
Major 300E modification project planned (5-speed, LSD, turbo, etc)... Tips?

I've recently been extended an offer for an '86 300E with a 5-speed transmission for $1,000... The body is not in the best of shape, so it will merely be a parts car. This will be the starting point for a relatively intensive project for my '88 300E.

Here's the plan so far. First, of course, is the transmission. Seeing as it needs a rebuild, I was wondering (since supposedly it's a Getrag-built transmission) how difficult would it be for me to rebuilt it myself? I want to learn about transmissions, and I consider myself to be extremely mechanically adept, so I'm curious as to whether or not I could seriously botch things in my learning experience (beyond repair that is). Also, I'm planning on doing some serious engine work down the road, so would it be possible to beef up the transmission to handle up to 400 horsepower? I'm assuming this transmission was designed with no more than 220 horsepower in mind, so I'm a bit concerned about its ability to handle power. Also, with regard to clutches, how interchangeable are they with these transmissions? Am I forced to find a Mercedes-specific clutch if I want something a bit beefier and more performance-oriented?

With regard to the engine coming from the donor car, I'm planning on pulling it out and setting it up on a stand as an ongoing project. I've never worked on these engines before (minimal head work at most), and want to investigate the possibility of strengthening the bottom-end to get it ready for turbo lovin'. The engine can handle 6 psi on stock internals, but 300 hp isn't enough for me... I'm shooting for between 350 and 400 reliably (any more and I'm facing serious trouble).

Now, putting that power to the road... What's the name of the company that rebuilds/converts differentials to limited slips? I'd like to get the pricing difference between a half and a full LSD, seeing as my primary concern is even torque distribution under power, but if it's not too much more, under deceleration/downshifting would be nice too for safety reasons... I'd probably send off the LSD from this donor car so I wouldn't have any downtime.

Beyond those modifications, I plan on buying the entire Sportline suspension package for the W124 chassis seeing as it was fitted on the 500E, and it eliminates something like 75% of body roll and only sacrifices about 20% of ride comfort (of course these measurements are just opinion). Also, since the previous owner did a number on the entire front end (bumper, quarter panels, headlight mounting brackets... all workable, but upon closer inspection you can see what's up), I'm considering doing a front-end update including buying 500E quarter panels (all the way around) since the car needs to be repainted anyway, and it'd be nice to gain about a 1.5" wider track so I can get some beefier rubber on the car.

I don't know yet, the transmission is the first and primary concern in this project, so let me know your thoughts on this entire deal. The 300E is an amazingly fun car to drive, and this would make it pure ecstacy.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:55 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
I thought 500E quarter panels will set you back around 500 each...and that's if you can find them. Can anyone verify this?
Old 05-15-2005, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
im not sure but they will be expensive
Old 05-15-2005, 05:55 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
I believe so, I remember talking to a few 500E owners and I asked them about the conversion. He said it was around 500 each for the rear quarter panels and that's if you can locate them.

aNtHrAx323, why have you decided to go with the Sportline suspension rather than the other aftermarket products you can get. Personally it's not my cup of tea.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:26 PM
Almost a Member!

If you go with 500E front fenders and rear quarter panels, remember that you'll also need a 500E front and rear bumper, and the 500E front and rear plastic side moldings (behind front fender and in front of the rear wheel).
Old 05-16-2005, 02:36 PM

1991 300E
I have never done this, but I would advise against rebuilding the tranny yourself. Manuals are easier to rebuild than automatics, but you're talking about a very specialized, labor intensive job that even the most advanced d.i.y.'er would be in over their head. I believe the 5 speed will handle a lot more bhp than 220, but I don't know for sure. I seem to recall a thread on this forum where some folks were discussing this.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:26 PM

I found 0EM fenders and quarter panels @ mercedes of tampa ask for steve @ 1-800-329-2360
Old 05-17-2005, 10:24 AM

88 260 E
E3200,

That 's for OEm 500 panels?

~Cali