E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Have you had luck resoldering your Cruise Control Amplifier???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beautiful Mercedes...duh
Have you had luck resoldering your Cruise Control Amplifier???

Hey there,

I have tried twice now to resolder my cruise control amplifier...and I am RETARDED!!!!!

Can someone who has had luck doing this help me out? I will pay for your time, and of course shipping back to me.

Thanks

Saint
Old 07-19-2005, 06:13 PM

W124
you could probably have a local automotive electrician do it
Old 07-19-2005, 07:23 PM

i saw where you posted this same question at mercedesshop.

why don't you just get one that works? [a new or re-man one]
Old 07-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Beautiful Mercedes...duh
These cruise control amplifiers are not always the problem...but they are a first step. I would rather spend $20 to resolder, which might fix the problem, than spend 300 and have the same problem. True that resoldering does not always work and I could be stuck buying another anyway, but logic tells me to at least start with the resolder. Have you ever had a problem with something, and kept replacing parts that werent bad? I have...it sucks. Trying to avoid that.

I had read a post about a year ago from either here or at mercedesshop from this guy who was having some success resoldering, and he was willing to do yours for $10, I think. I searched high and low on both sites, and could not find it again. That is why the double post.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Soldering isn't that tricky... the problem is finding the offending joint. I get the impression you want to reflow all solder connections. This is a daunting task. Usually you just inspect all the joints and find the one with a crack in it - that's how most electricians do it. Luckily, I have easy access to 10X-40X stereobinoculars for inspection.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Saint
These cruise control amplifiers are not always the problem...
if your cruise surges and or won't hold speed it's definetly your amp.

been there, done that. never had another prob with the cruise
Old 10-04-2007, 10:39 PM

1996 C220
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am trying to diagnose a similar problem. When my cruise is working, most times it will surge, surge and shut of or not work for long periods. I think that when I first start to drive the car the cruise does not work most times, but after a while it seems to work, sometimes without a problem. Almost like when it is warmed up or hot it seems to work. Could one of the parts getting warm create this?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2007, 12:09 AM
Almost a Member!

Beautiful Mercedes...duh
Wow...this is an old thread.

Two things...

I sent my amp to an EE, and he not only resoldered all the joints, but replaced all the caps as well. Same problem..actually...I think I can rarely even get the cruise to react now. Sure it could still be the amp..but frankly..I never used the cruise all that much anyway. Just put it back together and forgot about it.

Also..I figured out what I was doing wrong with the soldering..or actually..the EE told me what I was doing wrong. I bought a new iron, some new solder and paste..and now I solder like a champ..most of the time..lol.

Good luck to you..sorry I could not be more help.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:26 PM

1996 C220
Can anyone tell me where the amplifier is for a 1996 W202? I took apart the dash and it was not next to the steering column.