E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Rear tires rub and suspension makes creaking noises

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 300E
Rear tires rub and suspension makes creaking noises

So to start with I bought below rims and the rear ones rub over bumps. I got new struts and Heavy Duty Rear Bilstein shocks as I have a tow hitch and wanted to be able to tow light stuff plus I use it for a bike rack. The weird thing is the rears rub worse now. I was going to get Lesjofors Spring for the rear because the car has nearly 190k and the springs are probably original. The fronts seem fine. I have read about rolling the fenders and adding bump stops (but I think this is only fro the front. Basically I am wondering is it worth doing the springs and is there anything else I can do. How do I roll renders? What tools should I use? And another big thing is what lower profile tires can I go to as the conti's SUCK!
Now I also mentioned that the rear suspension creeks really bad when you bounce up and down, however when I raised the rear up on the rear control arm and bounced the car I got no creaking. It seems that this indicates the rear bearings are shot...does this make sense? When I turn the wheel it seems tight, but when I push back and forth on the edge it creeks somewhat. I guess this is what you would expect when sealed bearings fail???
THANKS!

Diameter: 16"
Width front: 7"
Width rear: 8"
Offset front: 32 millimeters
Offset rear: 37 millimeters
Brand/Model: Continental ContiTouringContact
Dimensions front: 205/55/16
Dimensions rear: 225/50/16

Springs I was going to get:
http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com...tion=000978396
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
rims.bmp (900.1 KB, 259 views)
Old 07-21-2005, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"88 300CE- First Year Production
I don't have an answer for you but those wheels look nice, they make them in 18's?
Old 07-21-2005, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
I agree the wheels are really nice.
when bearings fail they will have a rough spots ,to feel that you have to pull the wheels off .
check out www.eastwood.com they sell bodyshop tools and other stuff you might find the tool to roll the fenders.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:08 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Width rear: 8" - this is causing your rubbing problem. According to Luke at tire rack, 7.5" is the widest you should go with no problem. I know membes have used the 8" wide rims, but that's after making certain adjustments to account for the additional 1/2 inch (ie. using a certain offset, rolling the fenders, using spacers, etc). You'll have to do a search to get the fine details.

Regarding the creeking...I suspect your bushings are worn. Only way to find it is to put it on a lift and inspect all links visually. Better yet if you can reproduce the noise while it's on the lift. Then just follow it to the source. I doubt it's your bearings because if it were, you'll be getting more of a constant grinding/squealing noise. But get it checked anyway.

Your car is 18 years old so don't be surprise if the sealed bearings fail....everything eventually wears down with age. (BTW I'm not bashing your car, my car is a 1986 and I've been replacing a lot of stuff lately)
Old 07-21-2005, 04:50 PM

87 300E
Well I am agreeing that it doesn't seem that the bearings could be causing the creaking noises I am hearing. I seems that it must be a bushing, but what bushing...there ar TOO many. And forget the Lesjofors Spring, I heard they suck on Mercedes so I am going to leave that alone. I just need to figure out how I roll the fenders out of the way. I have tried to search, but I just hear people talking about it and not explaing how to do it....hey at least I just past my inspections on one try...thats a first.
I am going to tray and get some Moly Lube and see if that fixes it, because upone inspections the bushings are not horrible so maybee that will get wid of the noise.
So once I fix that I just need to figure out why my car sounds like a sim rolling down the road..are the conti's that bad or is it an alignment. The noise goes away when I turn right hard.

Rims I got on ebay...they are stock of a 2000 or something and look sweet on my 87...just have to figure out the rubbing and the simi noise problems.

http://www.utilitysafeguard.com/s.nl...&category=4649

Last edited by abentley79; 07-21-2005 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

rear wheels too wide
rear tires might also be a touch too wide. you dont see too many people using 225s on 124s that arent 500Es. 500Es have bespoke fenders and suspension that allows for the wide wheels
you screwed up by going with two different wheels/ tires. you shoulda got all the same size wheel as that will allow you to rotate the tires. this will elongate thier life and prevent cupping.
if the creaking is only when the car is going over bumps, its UNLIKELY that its the bearings. if its the bearings it would do it pretty much all the time since they are always rolling when the car is on the move.
you may need new bushings in the rear. you have to remember the cars are at least ten years old and approaching 20 depending on the year.
also, was it squeeking/ creaking before you got the new shocks? and have you always been towing with the car?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:10 AM

'95 3.2 M104
....what in the hell is "Lesjofors Spring"? Sounds more like LESS-JOY-FORCE SPRING. BTW. Did you bought these?
- G -
Old 07-22-2005, 01:10 AM

2005 E320 CDI
I was also confused...I never heard of that spring, but I did a search on yahoo and sure enough those springs exist. Personally I'd stick with H&R/Eibach/Votland (sp?)

Here's the link

http://www.drivewire.com/mercedespar...oilspring.html
Old 07-22-2005, 05:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
I agree

Originally Posted by jrmd01
Width rear: 8" - this is causing your rubbing problem. According to Luke at tire rack, 7.5" is the widest you should go with no problem. I know membes have used the 8" wide rims, but that's after making certain adjustments to account for the additional 1/2 inch (ie. using a certain offset, rolling the fenders, using spacers, etc). You'll have to do a search to get the fine details.
Originally Posted by neanderthal
rear wheels too wide
rear tires might also be a touch too wide. you dont see too many people using 225s on 124s that arent 500Es. 500Es have bespoke fenders and suspension that allows for the wide wheels
you screwed up by going with two different wheels/ tires. you shoulda got all the same size wheel as that will allow you to rotate the tires. this will elongate thier life and prevent cupping.
In this case, I think your rear wheels and rear tires are too wide. They are at the very limit of what "some people" manage to fit on their cars. I hate the idea of not being able to rotate the tires.