E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Anyone know how to reset the odometer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300TE / 300E / 300CE
Question Anyone know how to reset the odometer?

Mine is shot but I have a spare instrument panel and would like to reset it to the correct mileage. If I don't then the wrong mileage will show up on the smog test logs and Carfax.

If it can't be done DIY, who can do it?
Old 02-12-2006, 10:39 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
I would also like to know the answer to this question.

Also, Does anyone know a shop that can repair a broken odometer?
Old 02-13-2006, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
You have to take it to the dealer.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
Originally Posted by pifcat2
Mine is shot but I have a spare instrument panel and would like to reset it to the correct mileage. If I don't then the wrong mileage will show up on the smog test logs and Carfax.

If it can't be done DIY, who can do it?

when you plug it in, it will go to the milage that your car has. its automatic.

mark
Old 02-13-2006, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
I guess your odometer is still a mechnical version, not an electronic 7-segment diodes, right.
If it is mechanical, it takes some DIY capabilities and 2 hours time, to reset it where ever you want it to be.
Pull out the instrument cluster. Take out the odometer part. Pull the axle of the digit wheels, (you may have to clean one end of the axle to be able to pull it) set the milage to the value you want it to be, put back the axle, and put everything back in place. Mechanically you need to be very carefull all the wheels and things fit correctly together.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:55 AM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
Originally Posted by bamberger_1
I guess your odometer is still a mechnical version, not an electronic 7-segment diodes, right.
If it is mechanical, it takes some DIY capabilities and 2 hours time, to reset it where ever you want it to be.
Pull out the instrument cluster. Take out the odometer part. Pull the axle of the digit wheels, (you may have to clean one end of the axle to be able to pull it) set the milage to the value you want it to be, put back the axle, and put everything back in place. Mechanically you need to be very carefull all the wheels and things fit correctly together.
Yes, old school mechanical. The other important detailed I've read is making sure the needle is moved over the mechanical stop and marked where it rests for reassembly. It is advised to use another rod and tape to hold the wheels when the "axle" is pushed out. Finally you need to knurl the end to secure it and if the wheel was loose, use crazy glue or loctite.

I have bad luck in that when I remove something to repair something else is broken. In this case my oil pressure gauge gave up. It's okay with my spare panel but now my brake light is in the light out indicator (different year)...

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2006, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
You can do it without removing the needle. Take the instrument cluster apart from behind, remove the whole shaft with the number weels. Also, I would first practice on the old speedometer, the one you are getting rid of.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
93 300SE Rauch "Smoke"
You might call these folks and see what they can do for ya!!!

Smokie

http://www.speedometer.com/
Old 02-14-2006, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Question

Originally Posted by pifcat2
Yes, old school mechanical. The other important detailed I've read is making sure the needle is moved over the mechanical stop and marked where it rests for reassembly. It is advised to use another rod and tape to hold the wheels when the "axle" is pushed out. Finally you need to knurl the end to secure it and if the wheel was loose, use crazy glue or loctite.

I have bad luck in that when I remove something to repair something else is broken. In this case my oil pressure gauge gave up. It's okay with my spare panel but now my brake light is in the light out indicator (different year)...

Thanks!
As the other poster sasy the needle stays in for changing the odometer reading. The idea with the tape to hold the wheels in place is good, but one by one you have to then turn them in place to get the new reading. Be carefull with crazy glue!! If it goes somewhere where is ot supposed to go ---tough luck!. You can knurl the end of the shaft again with an edge cutter.

The pressure gauge may have a broken sensor, (a known problem). The position of indicator lights can be corrected in two ways. 1- just position the rigth indicator light in the right chamber, 2- swap the transparent foil (where the symbols are printed on) from the old to new cluster.

But what puzzles me more is the fact that the odometers/speedometers come in many different gear ratios. (4-cyl. 6-cyl. 8-cyl, 4-matic, different sub suppliers, different years, you name it....) So the replacement may not fit the from the internal (cluster)-ratio. The result will be a inaccurate reading for the speedo and odo. You can find a number on clock, if is the same, ok. Even if it is not the same it still may fit, but very hard to tell.
What's wrong with your old cluster? Maybe you can just swap the defective parts, as long as you don't change any of the drive parts.