E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Possible Modifications to 1991 300ce?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends on the day
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
Made another odometer milestone today, this one was pretty significant

I missed 123456 though, and I'll never forgive myself for that.
and 124051 (that's the full chassis code for our coupes) ....shame on you.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:16 PM

Depends on the day
Thanks! Forwarded this post on to MoMan and reposted your shot on my Photobucket (images upped to MBworld can't be viewed by non-members).
Does your car have an 8k tachometer with a 7k red line? i'd assume you have the cis m104 engine so yes.. if thats the case thats the speedo/tach combo i'd be interested in
Old 10-05-2010, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Originally Posted by bsmuwk
and 124051 (that's the full chassis code for our coupes) ....shame on you.
Crap. You're right >_<

Yeap, I've got the economizer and the 8k tach that goes to 160mph.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:31 PM

Depends on the day
Crap. You're right >_<

Yeap, I've got the economizer and the 8k tach that goes to 160mph.
124051 would have been an awesome picture for one of those avatar things

and i dont have the economy gauge on mine so that would have to be an empty spot.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
124051 would have been an awesome picture for one of those avatar things

and i dont have the economy gauge on mine so that would have to be an empty spot.
I figured out what I did, I combined w124-051 with m104-980 and made w124-580 :\

Yeah, MoMan has three styles and like, 8 applications covering all the different combinations of RPM, Spedometer, and economy meter.

Check the listing and you can see all of it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mercedes-W124-W1...item1e5e3062a5
Old 10-06-2010, 06:23 PM

Depends on the day
I figured out what I did, I combined w124-051 with m104-980 and made w124-580 :\

Yeah, MoMan has three styles and like, 8 applications covering all the different combinations of RPM, Spedometer, and economy meter.

Check the listing and you can see all of it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mercedes-W124-W1...item1e5e3062a5
it's got to be design one.. OMG.

i
Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
it's got to be design one.. OMG.

i
To be honest, I'm really only interested in Design 2. I asked him if he was going to make available one with amber lighting but he stated that only the current designs/colors will be available, just made into MPH.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:01 AM

Depends on the day
To be honest, I'm really only interested in Design 2. I asked him if he was going to make available one with amber lighting but he stated that only the current designs/colors will be available, just made into MPH.
thats fine with me as well, looks like the stock cluster only backlit..

i think the 1st design gives everything a bit of a modern touch without being tacky like the solid white gauge faces do.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Installed my NGK plug wire set today, and I'm surprised by the difference it has made. Engine is far smoother and appears to have gotten some power back. Will be pulling my Bosch plugs tomorrow to replace with my NGK Iridium IX and will give a few 0-60 benchmarks to see if this is a marked improvement or if the butt dyno is just hoping the 250$ or so I spent on Plugs+Wires was worth it :P

Installation of the NGK plugs was surprisingly okay. I'd argue that the wire lengths for some are a bit too long and a bit too short for others, but overall, it worked out okay. Just make sure you have access to wire cutters and zip ties so you can keep the wire bundle together as it goes down the block. If not, the wires have a bad habit of getting in the way of the plastic cover.

Engine decarbonizing appointment Monday. Fingers crossed it makes a difference and gets me some compression back.

I've got to get Bucky somewhat ready for Pine Barrens Express 2010
That's right, another 150mi+ off-road rally. My cousin is going to compete too, he has a Chrysler Conquest Turbo that he is modding. I have a feeling I might be seeing a lot of his tail-lights :\

Last edited by Saijin_Naib; 10-08-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mosselman 190E 16V+ C63S+ Abarth 595
Read through a few pages... from them IMO it seems you are young and just have some big dreams. You have a stock CIS powered 3L coupe with no working windows or windshield wiper and a motor with 2 good cylinders that you are off road rallying with 20hp hoping plugs and wires will bring back dead cylinders and talking about expensive engine builds when you post links of rice gauge cluster junk. Your priorities are all over the place and if you are fixed on having a 3.6l powered CE buy a post-update one that has EFI and an AMG 3.6 M104 just drop it in and either go Megasquirt or use a C36 ECU. The motors are very well built so you wont need to rip it apart if the compression is fine. In the mean time learn more about cars so you can save another couple grand doing the build yourself which should take about a week. And even after all this, the car still wont be a "fast" car. Dont mean to be a dick, but the truth hurts, that engines a goner, cheaper just to buy another 3L or just another CE.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Originally Posted by AMGC
Read through a few pages... from them IMO it seems you are young and just have some big dreams. You have a stock CIS powered 3L coupe with no working windows or windshield wiper
Believe swapping all my aluminum/ceramic fuses for the copper/ceramic fuses fixed those issues. I've heard that the aluminum was more prone to getting micro-fractures, hence the switch to copper.
and a motor with 2 good cylinders that you are off road rallying with 20hp hoping plugs and wires will bring back dead cylinders
I think that honestly they have helped. I no longer have the hard-start/stall during cold+humid weather (likely due to previous wires having nicks in the insulation) and the engine does feel to be running smoother. I'll get some solid data tonight, I don't have an on-ramp to the highway that I can take safely without cars lining up behind.
and talking about expensive engine builds when you post links of rice gauge cluster junk.
Yes, I posted those clusters. I've been talking with MoMan for about 6 months now, and he finally has begun production of US MPH gauges thanks to MY effort. Even if you don't like them, I got off my *** to do something nice for this community.
Your priorities are all over the place and if you are fixed on having a 3.6l powered CE buy a post-update one that has EFI and an AMG 3.6 M104 just drop it in and either go Megasquirt or use a C36 ECU.
Yes, they are. However, this thread is not a chronological list. It is an information store for me and whenever I have an idea, I get feedback and other data and I store it here. So far, I've acted upon only a small fraction of the information I've gathered. And yes, I know that a 94/95 e320 Coupe is a direct swap for the C36 Engine/Trans. I wanted to work with this car however, it has sentimental value.
The motors are very well built so you wont need to rip it apart if the compression is fine. In the mean time learn more about cars so you can save another couple grand doing the build yourself which should take about a week.
Yeah, I'd love to be able to do that. However, I don't have a garage nor the tools. And finally, I'm on finals at school and my time is taken up mostly with NSF work and managing a team of 6 other students. Maybe after school.
And even after all this, the car still wont be a "fast" car. Dont mean to be a dick, but the truth hurts, that engines a goner, cheaper just to buy another 3L or just another CE.
I know it won't be "fast". I want it to be unique and a bit better than it is now, that is all. I've a vision for it, and I'll work toward it however long it may take. You're not being a dick, I appreciate your feedback, I really do.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2010, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Alright, question:

If I were to source the 350sd crank (apparently what was used in the 3.6L AMG engines), what would I end up with in my engine? The 3.4L or (as I was reading in passing) 3.5L?

I'm assuming this would not be a HUGE work/money sink, correct? Lets say I have the block open for decarboning and valve guide/seal repair work, would replacing the crank and increasing the stroke completely kill my bank account? I assume this would push my power creation till even later in the power band, right?

About what numbers should I expect to see with this.? I'm thinking about 250hp and maybe 260FT/LB.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:40 PM

Depends on the day
Alright, question:

If I were to source the 350sd crank (apparently what was used in the 3.6L AMG engines), what would I end up with in my engine? The 3.4L or (as I was reading in passing) 3.5L?

I'm assuming this would not be a HUGE work/money sink, correct? Lets say I have the block open for decarboning and valve guide/seal repair work, would replacing the crank and increasing the stroke completely kill my bank account? I assume this would push my power creation till even later in the power band, right?

About what numbers should I expect to see with this.? I'm thinking about 250hp and maybe 260FT/LB.
If you use the 3.5 crank and 2.8 rods you'll come up with the 3.6-ish. the peachpits forum has a lot more info on performance mods for these mb's.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
If you use the 3.5 crank and 2.8 rods you'll come up with the 3.6-ish. the peachpits forum has a lot more info on performance mods for these mb's.
Hmm, alright. What if I use everything that is in my engine already (so the 3.0L rods)? Will that put me over or still very close to 3.6L?

Also, how would this change the engine feel? I'm thinking it'd make it rev slower right? And that it would push power delivery later, and that I'd make a bit more torque compared to HP increase?
Old 10-10-2010, 02:29 PM

Depends on the day
Hmm, alright. What if I use everything that is in my engine already (so the 3.0L rods)? Will that put me over or still very close to 3.6L?

Also, how would this change the engine feel? I'm thinking it'd make it rev slower right? And that it would push power delivery later, and that I'd make a bit more torque compared to HP increase?
i think the 3.0 rods are too long.

i think think the engine will just have more ***** all around. i doubt it'll feel more responsive, but once it starts to rev you'll feel the power. check out the peachp*arts forum performance mods section for more info on everything.. more details and what not there
Old 10-10-2010, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Here is a preview of how the amber fog reflector would look in the Euro housing. I've pulled my fog reflectors and they're headed off to get ambered this week I'm beyond amped. Yes, silly superficial mod but I think it'll look amazing on the car. Plus, I like having the more amber light for heavy fog/snow situations which Rochester is famous for.
Attached Thumbnails Possible Modifications to 1991 300ce?-photo376.jpg  
Old 10-10-2010, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
i think the 3.0 rods are too long.

i think think the engine will just have more ***** all around. i doubt it'll feel more responsive, but once it starts to rev you'll feel the power. check out the peachp*arts forum performance mods section for more info on everything.. more details and what not there
Alright, thanks man. I'll start digging. I was hoping I could get away with not having to swap too many parts out, but if not, then meh. I'll just deal.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:36 PM

Depends on the day
Here is a preview of how the amber fog reflector would look in the Euro housing. I've pulled my fog reflectors and they're headed off to get ambered this week I'm beyond amped. Yes, silly superficial mod but I think it'll look amazing on the car. Plus, I like having the more amber light for heavy fog/snow situations which Rochester is famous for.
silly superficial mod?

uhh hello!? (look at sig)
Old 10-10-2010, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
silly superficial mod?

uhh hello!? (look at sig)
Nice! Where did you get your reflectors? I'm having them hand chromed. 65$ a piece.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:12 PM

Depends on the day
Nice! Where did you get your reflectors? I'm having them hand chromed. 65$ a piece.
65$ a piece? damn dude.

mine are the stock euro reflectors, i just used some stuff i found in the jegs catalog for 5 a can. it sprays over the stock chrome reflector and looks like it was chromed yellow. i've got some of it left.

holds to to heat perfectly and looks factory. i did my mine as well as a friends m3 fogs, and his have been holding up fine with a couple months of high heat 55w hid use. i've done another friends accord hi beams (black car in my sig,you can see his hi beams a little) and all have been holding up perfectly to the high heat hid kits they're running.

Last edited by bsmuwk; 10-10-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
65$ a piece? damn dude.

mine are the stock euro reflectors, i just used some stuff i found in the jegs catalog for 5 a can. it sprays over the stock chrome reflector and looks like it was chromed yellow. i've got some of it left.

holds to to heat perfectly and looks factory. i did my mine as well as a friends m3 fogs, and his have been holding up fine with a couple months of high heat 55w hid use. i've done another friends accord hi beams (black car in my sig,you can see his hi beams a little) and all have been holding up perfectly to the high heat hid kits they're running.
Hmm, sounds good but for optics, I want OEM quality reflectance or better. Having them refinished and hand chromed ensures they'll be just as bright or brighter (the DEPO ones are not free from imperfections in the chrome). I don't muck about with safety items :P
Old 10-10-2010, 11:32 PM

Depends on the day
Hmm, sounds good but for optics, I want OEM quality reflectance or better. Having them refinished and hand chromed ensures they'll be just as bright or brighter (the DEPO ones are not free from imperfections in the chrome). I don't muck about with safety items :P
well i have bosch headlights so what i did might have been sacrilegious

really though, it doesn't look like i sprayed anything onto the reflector. just looks like yellow chrome. i've noticed no difference in lighting quality other than being yellow.... it's like the second sun coming from the front of my car. lol

Last edited by bsmuwk; 10-10-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
well i have bosch headlights so what i did might have been sacrilegious
I won't tell anyone if you won't. Hey, if it turned out to your satisfaction who is anyone to judge? It looks cool Show me more shots, kthnx.
really though, it doesn't look like i sprayed anything onto the reflector. just looks like yellow chrome. i've noticed no difference in lighting quality other than being yellow.... it's like the second sun coming from the front of my car. lol
I know, I know. Scientist mentality kicking in + maybe a bit of OCD. I'm really picky about certain things and this unfortunately happens to be one of those projects I can only let go down one way. Hey, I plan on keeping them for a while so they'll pay for themselves in short order. Now to just get the Yellow lower-valence fog lamps and match the two up and tour around in late 80s/early 90s DTM vogue.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Giving In - Adema
Skip to 1m 25s in.

190e?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTOKnYNI3tU
Old 10-23-2010, 10:50 AM

Depends on the day
thats a 300e.

the c pillar kinda gives it away.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Possible Modifications to 1991 300ce?